5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2014 1:08 PM by Ned Murphy

License Key Missing

melchaar

I bought a laptop with a CS5 Master copy already installed. All worked fine until recently about a month ago when the individual tools started asking me for a license key. But I never got a key to begin with.  What can I do to recover the license that was on the laptop or generate another fresh one? I am running an old CS5 Master Collection.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: License Key Missing
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you purchased the computer new and it included a CS5 Master Collection and it did not come with materials/information needed for reinstalling it then you need to contact the vendor that sold you the machine.  If it happens to be a Dell, they usually provide access to pre-installed software thru their web site.

If you purchased the machine as a second-hand machine then chances are you did not purchase CS5 along with it unless the seller formally transferred the license to you, in which case you would have to have been given the materials/infomation needed for reinstalling.  Again, resolution would need to be dealt with thru the seller.

• 2. Re: License Key Missing
            melchaar Level 1

I purchased it second hand and did call Dell to transfer licenses, windows etc... Ut has been working since 2011/12 timeframe. How can a software already installed have its license runs out? This wasn't on a lease basis.

• 3. Re: License Key Missing

That is something that you will have to work out with Dell if they are treating you as their customer.  From the sounds of things you might be stuck between Dell and the first owner trying to get resolution for this.

• 4. Re: License Key Missing
                melchaar Level 1

I agree with you. But I bought the machine in June 2011. I had all sw transferred from Dell in the same month. This whole time all was working fine. I am not sure when the license issue started, but I use my CS5 to maintain my web site and do some mods on few documents. Nothing major really, so I haven’t even touch the package for at least the last 3-4 months.  Hence, sw was running fine for a good 3 years or more now. How can a license be revoked or changed now? Do you think the seller had a group license? Could that be it? Could it be part of his organization? Because he gave me the impression he does evaluation for a living….

• 5. Re: License Key Missing

All of your questions need to be directed to the one of the two parties involved, or both - the seller and Dell.