21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2016 11:47 AM by mickb09

Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11

PuppyDogMom Level 1

When I drag media to the timeline, the timeline magnifies and it becomes impossible to drop the file onto the timeline. Is there a way to correct this? I have Premiere Elements on two machines and it does not do this on one of them but does it on the laptop.

• 1. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

PuppyDogMom

Please head for the Add On at the bottom of this post....

Is your Premiere Elements 11 being used on Mac computers only?

Please describe your computers?

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, but I have run into the issue that you are describing with when working with Premiere Elements 10 Mac user. I am not sure that it was resolved, but depending on your follow up answers, I will see what has become of the issue/solution if any.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

Important Add On....I just found the following Adobe document which just might hold the answers to your issue

"Expert View Timeline Zooms in When Dragging Clips I Mac Book Pro, Retina Display"

Expert view timeline zooms in when dragging clips | MacBook Pro, retina display

Please let us know if that worked for you.

• 2. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
            PuppyDogMom Level 1

ATR,

I downloaded the .zip file. Unfortunately, I don't have enough information on that site to get to the application file. Have to do a little work before I can insert that file.

I use a MacBook Pro-retina, so that site is perfect for the issue I'm having. As soon as I get the instructions figured out, and the file installed, I'll let you know how it works outs.

Thanks much,

E

• 3. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
              PuppyDogMom Level 1

I got a little help from the Apple site on locating the necessary file (../Application/Adobe Premiere Elements 11.0/Support Files.) but neither the file can be located nor will my Macbook open the .zip file. Guess I'm still stuck. Sounds like I'm not the only one who has this problem since Adobe offered a solution. Unfortunately, the solution doesn't seem to work. Trying to contact Adobe but all they do is refer me to the forum. Is this a Catch-22?

• 4. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
                A.T. Romano Level 7

PuppyDogMom

Thanks for working with the troubleshooting suggestions.

Typically the Adobe requirement for help involves purchased, registered, and latest version (latest version is now 13). For others, the user to user forums such as this one are the non current version user's hope for finding a resolution.

Did you purchase Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Editor from the Mac App Store or Premiere Elements 11 Mac from Adobe as a download? Mac App Store discontinued its product, and you are not likely to get much help from it. But you could try if your purchase was from the Mac App Store.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user. Is there is any possibility that you overlooked a step in the Adobe document that related to a fix for the Timeline magnification issue?

As a troubleshooting measure only at this time, you could download and install the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 13 Mac from Adobe and determine if the problem persists in your same Mac computer environment. A while back I saw several reports of this issue being posted, but none recently. I am not sure if that meant

a. the Adobe document resolved the issue

b. the user gave up and went to another version

c. the user gave up and went to another computer operating system

d. the user gave up on any version

I will search for any recent reports on this issue.

ATR

• 5. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
                  PuppyDogMom Level 1

ATR...could be that newer versions don't have this problem. I was able to get through the process up until they said to replace the file with the downloaded file.

Don't want to give up yet. I'm sure there's something that I'm not doing. I'm positive that you sent me to the right place but the problem comes in with my lack of expertise.

My program was purchased from Best Buy. It's not a downloaded version. Your suggestion to download a trial of the latest version to see if it works is a good idea. I might give that a try.

Thanks for hanging in there with me!

• 6. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
                    PuppyDogMom Level 1

Just another question: Is the latest version improved enough to justify its purchase?

• 7. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

PuppyDogMom

Thanks for the follow up.

I am just looking at the Premiere Elements 13 tryout. Its stability seems to be the same as for 11 and 12 on my Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

If 13 will get rid of your Mac Timeline magnification issue, then it is worthy of consideration. If not, you need to evaluate what 13 has that you do not already have in 11.

The features that were removed in 13 include...

DV Capture

HDV Capture

Timelapse Capture (Stop Motion)

WebDVD

Export to FLV

Face As A Filter In Pan & Zoom

Operating System support for: Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Vista, Mac OSX 10.7.

The addition to 13 that caught my attention was Disc Image to the burn to choices, especially for Blu-ray.

And, the Elements Organizer 13 now has a slideshow feature for Mac as well as Windows users. It is not the

Elements Organizer of prior versions which were Windows Only....its major asset is that you can export

720p and 1080p (AVCHD.mp4) slideshows from the Elements Organizer 13/Create/Slideshow. But, questions remain if

the end product content will be satisfying enough. Lots of decisions, best made with tryout before purchase.

Since I do not have a Mac computer, not too much I can offer on

I was able to get through the process up until they said to replace the file with the downloaded file.

Can you find the file that you need to replace? Is it possible that it HandlerTimeline.Framework is a hidden file that you

need to unhide?

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
                        PuppyDogMom Level 1

Downloaded APE-13 and played around with it a little. Doesn't seem too much different from 11. However, there was no problem with the timeline zooming. I'm still going to work on replacing that file.

• 9. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

PuppyDogMom

Great progress. Good decisions.

Looking forward to further developments.

ATR

• 10. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
                            PRE_help Adobe Employee

Hi,

The timeline zooming issue is definitely fixed in Premiere Elements 13. Now we are High-DPI ready.

Regards,
                            Premiere Elements Team

• 11. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Thanks for the good news that the Timeline zooming issue is not present in Premiere Elements 13 Mac.

But, I need to ask. Is there any real possibility of getting rid of the Timeline zooming issue in Premiere Elements 11 Mac?

Is the fix suggested in the Adobe document cited in my prior post supposed to work? It has not for PuppyDogMom, and it did

not work for another user whom I worked with a few years ago (I recall his version being Premiere Elements 10 Mac).

Thank you for your insights on this matter.

ATR

• 12. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
                                PRE_help Adobe Employee

Hi ATR,

If the HandlerTimeline.framework is replaced in the (MAC's equivalent of) Program Files as mentioned in Expert view timeline zooms in when dragging clips | MacBook Pro, retina display, the issue should be resolved for Premiere Elements 11.

Regards,
                                Premiere Elements Team

• 13. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Thanks for the reply.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user.

Since most of the confusion with that Adobe document is in the replacement of the HandlerTimeline.framework,

could you spell out the path to that file that is to be replaced in the user's Mac folders/files?

If you are, like myself, strictly an Elements Windows user, would it be possible to pass on my request for this to an

associate who does work with Premiere Elements Mac.

As always, thank you.

ATR

• 14. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
                                    PRE_help Adobe Employee

You should locate the "Adobe Premiere Elements.app" file. Typically for a default installation, this should be at ../Application/Adobe Premiere Elements 11.0/Support Files/

1. Ctrl-click the Adobe Premiere Elements.app file, and select Show Package Contents (This is equal to the Right-click on Windows).

2. Go to Content/Frameworks and take a backup of the HandlerTimeline.Framework file

3. Replace the HandlerTimeline.Framework file with the contents of the ZIP file that should be present in the article.

4. Restart Adobe Premiere Elements 11.

5. Try to drag a file inside the expert room timeline.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

• 15. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Thank you.

Looking forward to finding out if this added information is what PuppyDogMom needed to make the Adobe document instructions work.

ATR

• 16. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
                                        PuppyDogMom Level 1

I have followed all of the directions. However, the system breaks down for me when trying to unpack the .zip file on my Mac. I have dragged the download file into the Frameworks folder and restarted the program. Nothing has changed the zooming. I'm fairly certain that I am doing something wrong.

• 17. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
                                          PuppyDogMom Level 1

I managed to replace the file. Nothing has changed.

• 18. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

PuppyDogMom

Thanks for the follow up.

I have been trying to draw out more details of that Adobe document from PRE_help. Have you read the latest responses of PRE_help.

Let us see if PRE_help reads your latest post and returns to this thread for comments.

More later.

ATR

• 19. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
                                              PuppyDogMom Level 1

Yes, I've read their post. Glad they chimed in. I followed their instructions exactly and am having no luck getting the program to work as it should.

I might pop in to the Apple support forum and see if I'm replacing the file correctly. That could be part of the problem.

• 20. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
                                                PuppyDogMom Level 1

Well, I'm doing things correctly. I'm hoping that my only resolution is NOT to have to buy the latest version.

• 21. Re: Timeline magnifies in premiere elements 11
                                                  mickb09

It works.

I had exactly the same problem. So I followed the advice and downloaded the zip file. Hunted for the Handler Timeline framework with no success.

Then it hit me...............I'd been looking in the Adobe PHOTOSHOP Elements Application Folder...................in all of the frustration it's easily done.

So......I opened the PREMIERE application folder and followed the instructions....found the Handler Timeline Framework folder. Put that on the desktop and then deleted it from the app. Replaced it with the similar looking ICON which appeared when I clicked on the zip file. The ICON contains all of the files, no need to open the icon and then withdraw individual files.

Closed PREMIERE and then restarted it ........VOILA!!!!!.........it works, problem solved, job done.