4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2014 2:28 PM by Willi Adelberger

Links from indesign to illustrator

Nathalie1904

Hello

I'm having an issue with illustrator.

I have an indesign file, ready to print. Unfortunately the printer asks me to send an illustrator file with NOT EMBEDDED images. The first thing I did was exporting in PDF and EPS, but in both cases Illustrator crashes. So, I copied and pasted pieces at a time and it works great. The problem is that the images seem linked, but I have to relink them because it doesn't find the path and even though I see the image I don't want to risk it disappearing when sending it to the printer. When I relink them though, the images don't come in as they were and I'm not able to transform it as it's supposed to be.

How can I solve the problem?

• 1. Re: Links from indesign to illustrator
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

nathalie1904 wrote:

Find another printer. This one should be avoided at all costs.

• 2. Re: Links from indesign to illustrator
            Nathalie1904 Level 1

Unfortunately I can't, they're the contractor for my client and print on special material

• 3. Re: Links from indesign to illustrator
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Then you’ve got a lot of work to do and you should start asking questions in the Illustrator forum where the gurus hang out.

• 4. Re: Links from indesign to illustrator
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Nathalie1904 schrieb:

Hello

I'm having an issue with illustrator.

I have an indesign file, ready to print. Unfortunately the printer asks me to send an illustrator file with NOT EMBEDDED images. The first thing I did was exporting in PDF and EPS, but in both cases Illustrator crashes. So, I copied and pasted pieces at a time and it works great. The problem is that the images seem linked, but I have to relink them because it doesn't find the path and even though I see the image I don't want to risk it disappearing when sending it to the printer. When I relink them though, the images don't come in as they were and I'm not able to transform it as it's supposed to be.

1. You should never use EPS in combination with Illustrator and InDesign.
                2. If you save an AI file with PDF compatibility all images are embedded in the PDF part. So you can place an AI file into InDesign, regardless if the images are linked or not.
                3. The printer has not to open the Illustrator file in any way, because this requires to have all linked images and used fonts. If this is not the case, he will destroy the file.
                4. Why are you sending to the printer an Illustrator file when you work with InDesign? Send to him an exported PDF from the InDesign file. Ask him that he should provide the correct joboptions for the job to be done.