8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2015 12:26 PM by startrekfan22

using codec huffyuv in premiere elements

pnoyes

I have a 22GB film I would like to edit and burn to Blu-ray Elements 13.  It is encoded in HuffyUV, a lossless codec.  Elements would not open it.  So I downloaded ffdshow, an encoder that will open it.  But Elements still would not open it. 

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: using codec huffyuv in premiere elements
          A.T. Romano Level 7

pnoyes

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running on?

What is the source of your HuffYUV video codec? Is it HuffYUV 64 bit?

VirtualDub with Filters Pre-loaded + HuffYUV [DOWNLOADS] - digitalFAQ.com Support Forum

If you were to be successful in this pursuit, then you should find HuffYUV under Publish+Share/Computer/AVI with Presets = DV NTSC Widescreen, followed by customization of the preset under Advanced Button/Video Tab and Video Codex choices et al.

Just speculation at this point.

ATR

• 2. Re: using codec huffyuv in premiere elements
            pnoyes Level 1

Using Win7 64 Bit.  Forgot where I got Huffyuv but it was recommended by digitalFAQ.

It is HuffyUV64.

• 3. Re: using codec huffyuv in premiere elements
              A.T. Romano Level 7

pnoyes

I do not work with the huffYUV video compression. But I would ask you to consider....could the problem be the file size of your .avi file and not the video compression? Do you have a smaller size huffYUV.avi file that you could try to import into your Premiere Elements 13 project after an installation of the codec on your computer?

I am thinking in terms of 1 GB file rather than 22 GB file. Just to try and get a codec support or non support in this instance.

ATR

Add On...Is it feasible at this point to look at the Lagarith video codec instead of huffYUV for your .avi file?

• 4. Re: using codec huffyuv in premiere elements
                pnoyes Level 1

This project started out as a VHS tape.  I sent it to digitalFAQ to restore it and digitize it.  The original had a lot of color blur and noise.  They encoded it in HuffyUV.  Watched on XMedia Recode and it was beautiful, very crisp and clear.  But I couldn't open it in Pinnacle 17 (I'm now on Premiere Elements) so I recoded it to MPEG4, and there was a noticeable drop in video quality.

BTW, I installed ffdshow to my computer prior to trying to open the HuffyUV in PE.  Didn't seem to help.

I could try Lagarith, I think ffdshow will handle it.  Any advantage to using it?

Once I have edited the video, will PE encode it to MPEG2 to burn it to Blu-ray?  H.264?  If I wanted to stream it to my TV from my computer what would be the best Codec to use?

• 5. Re: using codec huffyuv in premiere elements
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

pnoyes

Thanks for the follow up information.

If the project started out on VHS tape, I am assuming that your digitized product was  a file characterized by HuffyUV video compression and an .avi file extension, rather than DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc and the video (VOB) files that are characteristic of the DVD-VIDEO structure. But, either way, can I assume that you were dealing with 720 x 480 4:3 resolution?

The Lagarith video codec was suggested as a possible alternative to HuffyUV end product in the initial step of digitalizing the VHS data. But you are beyond that point where you can bring a Lagarith.avi file into Premiere Elements project. Your VHS has already been restored and digitalized. Could the people who digitized the VHS data offer a different end product, maintaining good quality?

Blu-ray is 1920 x 1080 16:9. I would be concerned about taking your 720 x 480 4:3 to burn to Blu-ray with that in mind. Also of concern would be taking a 720 x 480 4:3 to an export to file (AVCHD or MPEG 1920 x 1080 16:9) saved to the computer hard drive.

"Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD and one of its .mp4 presets" is a good choice. But, we need to zero in on resolution, predicted outcome and actual result.

Some Premiere Elements Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG  offer MPEG2 Blu-ray file type (.m2t). You can also get good quality from this choice, although I would start

with AVCHD.mp4 rather than MPEG2.m2t.

The presets typically come with default settings which can be customized under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset selected.

Please review the above, and then we can go in the direction indicated by your requirements.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: using codec huffyuv in premiere elements
                    pnoyes Level 1

Your 1st paragraph is correct. 

Re: the Lagarith.  Couldn't I recode the HuffyUV in ffdshow or XMedia Recode before I bring it into PE13?  I already recoded it once to an mpeg but it didn't look very good.  Also tried recoding it to DV.  Still not looking good.

Re. the Blu-ray; the guys at digitalFAQ recommended it for the bit rate, not the resolution.  The finished video is 1:03 in length, but I could squeeze it onto a DVD.

So you are saying rather than burning the finished DVD, first save it as an AVCHD.mp4, then burn it?

First, I have to get it into PE13, so I would have to recode it, maybe as a Lagarith?  Would that get my file size to 1GB?  What would be a good program to use to recode it?

Is "Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD and one of its .mp4 presets" in PE13?

• 7. Re: using codec huffyuv in premiere elements
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

pnoyes

Thanks for the follow ups.

It is worth the try to recode the HuffyUV to Lagarith in a program that will support that so that you have a file for the Premiere Elements project.

The Premiere Elements burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc uses a non adjustable project preset with a variable bitrate.

The maximum bitrate is 8.00 Mbps (megabits per second), and typically you will find a bitrate much less than if you explore

the properties of the end product DVD-VIDEO video files with video audio properties readout programs.

I would take the Premiere Elements Timeline content to burn to disc. The only consideration for other than that would be:

a. burn dialog does not recognize the burner in its Burner Location field

or

b. some other problem in the burn to disc

If you are looking for a file not disc product that you can project from your computer, then we can discuss Publish+Share/Computer choices.

Yes,..Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD and .mp4 presets are in Premiere Elements 13. One of the major Premiere Elements 13 attractions for me is the new choices in Premiere Elements 13 burn to. Depending on the disc type, they now include disc, folder, disc image. You should be able to download and install the Lagarith codec on your computer so that it shows up for use for export under Publish+Share/Computer/AVI and Advanced Button/Video Tab of .avi preset selected.

But, back to the conversion of the HuffyUV.avi to Lagarith.avi so that you might be able to import the file into Premiere Elements 13 project - not sure.

A quick suggestion might be the Prism software

Prism Video Converter - What format will Prism convert from?

ATR

• 8. Re: using codec huffyuv in premiere elements
                        startrekfan22

I'm just wondering why you would want a VHS on Blu-Ray?  Unless the file was upscaled to High-Definition resolution at capture time, I would not recommend Blu-Ray; I would recommend going to DVD, and then using an upscaling DVD/Blu-Ray player, which, for most of the time, does an even better job at upscaling than a lot of the upscaling techniques out there.

Also I don't use Huffyuv (and with Digitalfaqs.com, I disagree with a lot of what the owner says in the forum, especially when it comes to capture, as I have tried capturing using 4:2:0 sources such as set top DVD recorders and the cheap USB MPEG-2 or 4 capture devices that DigitalFAQS Staff prefers to use, since I've found I always got an oversaturated image when playing the video back over anything but a yellow composite cable.  This is even when I have adjusted the setup controls of the various devices.  Even when I'm shooting and editing HD footage, I hate the 4:2:0 Color of AVCHD as I find it lowers the quality of the image, not to mention at about 4GB per hour in H.264-MP4; in black and whit it's fine but not in color) as I've tested it and have not found it to give me the picture quality that I'm looking for.  And at 22GB, unless it's a short video, for a 1 hour time length it sounds like it's already heavily compressed; and going to H.264 is just going to compress an already compressed image even further, and give you poor quality footage.  Also the official version of Huffyuv has not been updated since 2002.

Unless I really need to for editing into a project where I need 4:2:2 from VHS, I capture VHS (using a S-VHS deck) as a 25GB/hour DV file through an ADVC-300, and between my Time Base Correctors/ProcAMPS and the ADVC-300's own controls (that I access through the ADVC's included software), I get a very high quality transfer and an output, that even when I play the DVD in an upressing DVD player, the Colors are not over saturated, nor are they bleeding into other colors.  (Of course VHS transfers are always going to look soft when compared to other video tape formats such as Hi8.). I even transfer the DVD's of productions that I've volunteered on for my local community television station, to my hard drive as DV's to use in my resume reels, and I transfer them through the ADVC-300 via a yellow composite out from a DVD player.  (I use a set top DVD recorder, the Sony RDR-GX380, to record the broadcasts from analog cable, and even if I was going from digital cable the recorder does not record in component video, unless you are going in through the firewire port, and even there you would need to convert to DV for the recorder to recognize the video---the manual even says that the recorder will not capture video from Sony's MicroMV MPEG-2 through the firewire---it only has composite inputs through the RF connector and a couple of yellow RCA's.  And the 2D color separator is the worst, so even when I check to make sure that the recorder has recorded the desired broadcast via HDMI, it is a horrible mess, with the ADVC-300 it has a superior 3D separator that gives me the Colors and look that I'm looking for).

I even have college tapes from years ago that, while I still have the original VHS and S-VHS masters, I transferred to miniDV tape using the old JVC S-VHS/MiniDV decks that the college had, and then a few years later, using a s-vhs recorder and Samsung DVD recorder, and I still use the Mini DV versions, as I was just looking at the DVD's the other day, and everyone looks like they have a fever, when compared to the originals or the MiniDV's.

But, yeah, unless the files were upscaled during at the capturing point, there is no point in going to Blu-Ray (and on Blu-Ray, if you stay in the SD domain it is encoded in MPEG-2, just like DVD), as you'll just be doing a software upscale which is never as good as a hardware upscale.   But you might want to try converting your Huffyuv footage to DV as that will work with Elements.

sorry I keep adding to this, but pnoyes, I just saw your thing about the time.  An hour and 3 minutes?  Good grief DVD will give you good quality video (if captured and burned correctly) at up to a 2 hour 10 minute maximum.  I burn 2 hour DVD's all the time for people and as long as you don't go beyond the 2 hour 10 minute mark, your video will still look it's best, even when it's in a DVD player being upscaled to 1080p.  Sorry, but DigitalFAQ's was giving you a lot of misinformation.