12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2007 9:52 AM by Newsgroup_User RSS

creating a database driven site

aaaashy
      "wysiwyg editors are all fine and dandy - but they don't really work with database driven sites" was the quote i received from a website designer who i asked about using Dreamweaver to create a photographers website for me, which would use drop-down-menus to search for, and show, different selections of the photos; and ideally, would also allow me to send a specifically focussed variation (selection of photos in my website framework) to a specific client

can DW be used to create such a website, maybe by buy 'plugins' which allow it to do what i want?

i have only ever built one website for a fashion desgner, at the end of a basic course at an adult working mens college, it was fine for the 25 fixed images, but i could possibly have 100's even 1000's evetually in my datatbase, all keyworded with things such as the client, type of client, type of subject, subject specifics, colour palettes, etc

any advice would be greatly appreciated, even links to sites built with DW that are similar to what i have in my mind, to prove to me it CAN BE DONE

thanks

peter
        • 1. Re: creating a database driven site
          Newsgroup_User Community Member
          Not sure if this is exactly what you want but take a look at this product.
          http://www.galleryinabox.com/

--Nancy

"aaaashy" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:euu79o$c3b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > "wysiwyg editors are all fine and dandy - but they don't really work with
          > database driven sites" was the quote i received from a website designer
          who i
          > asked about using Dreamweaver to create a photographers website for me,
          which
          > would use drop-down-menus to search for, and show, different selections of
          the
          > photos; and ideally, would also allow me to send a specifically focussed
          > variation (selection of photos in my website framework) to a specific
          client
          >
          > can DW be used to create such a website, maybe by buy 'plugins' which
          allow it
          > to do what i want?
          >
          > i have only ever built one website for a fashion desgner, at the end of a
          > basic course at an adult working mens college, it was fine for the 25
          fixed
          > images, but i could possibly have 100's even 1000's evetually in my
          datatbase,
          > all keyworded with things such as the client, type of client, type of
          subject,
          > subject specifics, colour palettes, etc
          >
          > any advice would be greatly appreciated, even links to sites built with
          DW
          > that are similar to what i have in my mind, to prove to me it CAN BE DONE
          >
          > thanks
          >
          > peter
          >

• 2. Re: creating a database driven site
            aaaashy Community Member
            i am not sure if this is what iwas looking for
            it doesn't sem to be a plugin for dreamweaver, but a lone app, which allows me to create a website using their templates
            i had been looking to create a template myself, that i could then allow a database to control the contents of the photo box blanks (if you know what i mean)
            i am hoing to find that mayube i can buy DW cs3 + a plugin or 2 resulting in a site that i can control myself
            i don't even know if drop-down-menus work with DW
            my question arose in the firsat place because a ddesigner had told me that DW could not do anything like this, and suggested that i use his own coded site, but i have been there before, not able to do what i wanted without repeated payments
            it made me feel like i was hostage to the system i had unwittingly agreed to
            if i have missed the point of your suggestion, lease let me know
            • 3. Re: creating a database driven site
              On 03 Apr 2007 in macromedia.dreamweaver, aaaashy wrote:

> "wysiwyg editors are all fine and dandy - but they don't really work
              > with database driven sites" was the quote i received from a website
              > designer who i asked about using Dreamweaver to create a
              > photographers website for me

That would be news to the dozens of developers in here who use DW to
              create database driven sites in PHP/MySQL, CF/whatever and Classic
              ASP/Access|SQL Server, plus some other combinations too.[1]

What you'll eventually find, though, and probably sooner than later, is
              that you'll have to do some hand coding in both HTML and the serverside
              language of choice.

> any advice would be greatly appreciated, even links to sites built
              > with DW that are similar to what i have in my mind, to prove to me
              > it CAN BE DONE

http://wildimages.biz/ <== By Murray *ACE*

[1] I haven't used it, but to all reports, DW isn't the best platform
              for ASP.Net.

--
              Joe Makowiec
              http://makowiec.net/
              Email: http://makowiec.net/contact.php
              • 4. Re: creating a database driven site
                Obviously, GIABox is a content management system for commercial art
                galleries. Not really for hobbyists. But I believe CMS is what you crave.
                I do not know of any DW extensions or 'plug-in' CMS modules.

However, Open Source CMS has several Image Gallery modules like this one
                called iFoto:
                http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2203

Best of luck on your project,
                --Nancy

news:euuauu$gnj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > i am not sure if this is what iwas looking for
                > it doesn't sem to be a plugin for dreamweaver, but a lone app, which
                allows me
                > to create a website using their templates
                > i had been looking to create a template myself, that i could then allow a
                > database to control the contents of the photo box blanks (if you know what
                i
                > mean)
                > i am hoing to find that mayube i can buy DW cs3 + a plugin or 2 resulting
                in a
                > site that i can control myself
                > i don't even know if drop-down-menus work with DW
                > my question arose in the firsat place because a ddesigner had told me
                that DW
                > could not do anything like this, and suggested that i use his own coded
                site,
                > but i have been there before, not able to do what i wanted without
                repeated
                > payments
                > it made me feel like i was hostage to the system i had unwittingly agreed
                to
                > if i have missed the point of your suggestion, lease let me know
                >

• 5. Re: creating a database driven site
                  aaaashy Community Member
                  oh dear!
                  it looks like i am going to have to go with this guys own coding!
                  i had wanted a site that was somewhere between < http://www.universaleverything.com/recent_activity/> but without all the flash content, and something like < http://mondino-update.net/index.php?page=1> which doesn't have ANY flash, no database, but is very quick and easy for clients to acctually go tho
                  can the latter be done in DW?
                  • 6. Re: creating a database driven site
                    Some of us are in the office - please put a warning on NSFW stuff in the
                    future.

You might look at Image Gallery Magic from Project Seven
                    (www.projectseven.com). It's a DW extension that will serve you well.

news:euvlg4$4j7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > oh dear!
                    > it looks like i am going to have to go with this guys own coding!
                    > i had wanted a site that was somewhere between
                    > < http://www.universaleverything.com/recent_activity/> but without all the
                    > flash
                    > content, and something like < http://mondino-update.net/index.php?page=1>
                    > which
                    > doesn't have ANY flash, no database, but is very quick and easy for
                    > clients to
                    > acctually go tho
                    > can the latter be done in DW?
                    >

• 7. Re: creating a database driven site
                      aaaashy Community Member
                      what is NSFW?

peter
                      • 8. Re: creating a database driven site
                        The modino-update.net link went to a page with a photo of a topless woman on
                        the right-hand side.

news:ev09oi$uv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > what is NSFW?
                        >
                        > peter

• 9. Re: creating a database driven site
                          aaaashy Community Member
                          it did?

sorry i didn't realise, one that it did, and two that that might even be a problem ......

and can i thus suppose that your `NSFW refers somehow to that?

(still don't have a clue what it means btw)
                          • 10. Re: creating a database driven site
                            On 04 Apr 2007 in macromedia.dreamweaver, aaaashy wrote:

> and can i thus suppose that your `NSFW refers somehow to that?
                            >
                            > (still don't have a clue what it means btw)

Not (Suitable|Safe) For Work

http://www.google.com/search?q=nsfw

--
                            Joe Makowiec
                            http://makowiec.net/
                            Email: http://makowiec.net/contact.php
                            • 11. Re: creating a database driven site
                              aaaashy Community Member
                              never heard that before

i work alone at home,
                              never occurs that talking about websites on adobe's site could cause any offence

sorry

• 12. Re: creating a database driven site
                                I wasn't offended. :)
                                But some of us do work in regular office settings, and you never know who
                                might be wandering in. A little (NSFW) next to a link will help us know
                                when we should just wait until we get home.

Don't sweat it. :)

news:ev0ifg$bt9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > never heard that before
                                >
                                > i work alone at home,
                                > never occurs that talking about websites on adobe's site could cause any
                                > offence
                                >
                                > sorry
                                >
                                >