5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2014 1:20 PM by Rick Gerard

alpha channel

rmartin215 Level 1

After rotosbrushing in AE, import clip to premiere, yielding a file with an .aep extension, which plays back very choppily but has transparency.  If I export it, then it plays well, but I lose the transparency. AE: 12.2.1.5; Pro: 7.2.2

What am I missing? Help!!

• 1. Re: alpha channel
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, how do you export? Do you actually choose a format that supports transparency? Enable the correct RGB+Alpha channels in the render settings? You need to provide the necessary info.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: alpha channel
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you bring an AEP into Premiere Pro you have to render a preview in order for it to play smoothly. This is normal. Just press the enter key and wait.

If you want to render your AE project then add it to the render cue and pick the Lossless With Alpha preset in the Output module or create a custom preset using your own settings. If you render Lossless with Alpha then you will most likely still have to render a preview (check the bar above the shot) before it will play back smoothly in PPro. That's just the nature of effects and video. If the format will not play back in real time in any NLE then you have to render a preview.

• 3. Re: alpha channel
              rmartin215 Level 1

It wasn't clear to me just what codecs supported alpha channels until I Googled that question. Apparently it is Quick Time with animation codec.  Any others exports and/or codecs?

• 4. Re: alpha channel
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

There's QT's PNG codec, too.  Stay away from Avid's DNXHD codec for a while: apparently there's a bug in AE which prevents rendering with an alpha channel.

• 5. Re: alpha channel
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jpeg 2000 QT, ProRez 444, Cineform and Avid codecs in some varieties support alpha channels, Tiff and TGA image sequences (also support 32 bit), Photoshop Sequences....