9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2014 2:18 PM by Rob Hecker2

tiny mce?

lostinny2 Level 1

Hey DW-

I noticed a while back that certain code is getting changed around.

For instance, if I were to add a regular <p> tag, I'll go back to change something on the page and it's now <p data-mce-style="text-align: justify;"> The paragraph still displays properly but why is it changing? The text formatting is already applied via CSS.

Where did this come from?  I looked it up and see it's an editor of some  sort (TinyMCE, also known as the Tiny Moxiecode Content Editor,), but is there any way to remove it? I didn't add it, so I'm not sure how to find/remove it.

Thanks for your time.

• 1. Re: tiny mce?
          Rob Hecker2 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sounds like you are working inside a content management system. TinyMCE doesn't work inside Dreadweaver. It works inside a CMS.

And yes, TinyMCE is what is changing the code. It is a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) text editor plug-in for CMS's. Other major WYSIWYG editors (like CKEditor) also make annoying changes to HTML, though from my experience it has all been harmless.

• 2. Re: tiny mce?
            lostinny2 Level 1

Thanks for the reply, but I'm using DW CS5, not a CMS and DW is the only program I've ever used. That's the confusing part - I didn't download the editor and it only started a few months ago. It mostly changes the <p> and <h> tags so far, but my site is fairly basic.

Any idea how to remove it?  Thanks again

• 3. Re: tiny mce?

Then you probably pasted into your pages content from a page that was edited by TinyMCE.

If that isn't the case, then you need to examine your workflow for where the content came from that has those tags. But Dreamweaver is not part of the issue.

• 4. Re: tiny mce?
                lostinny2 Level 1

you need to examine your workflow for where the content came from that has those tags.

Once again - thanks for the response.

I don't really understand though - how does one go about examining a workflow in DW? What am I looking for?

ps  - I wasn't "blaming" DW - it's a great product that picked up a quirk along the way and I just want it to get back to normal.

• 5. Re: tiny mce?

I had not assumed that you were blaming DW, only that you seemed to think the problem was happening within DW.

By workflow I mean the process by which content gets onto the website. Do you sit down and type directly into DW in design view or are you pasting content from another website or somewhere else? Or is someone emailing you content? A combination of the above?

You see, your issue is that you have content with unnecessary CSS styling. The styling seems to be coming from TinyMCE. So how is content with TinyMCE styling getting into your web page?

• 6. Re: tiny mce?
                    lostinny2 Level 1

Hey Rob-

I add content myself, typing it into the source code side of split view as the content is formulated in of my head. I don't use any other content and nobody emails me anything.

So how is content with TinyMCE styling getting into your web page?

I don't know - that's why I posted the question here. I can't remove it because I don't know how it got there and I don't know what the file is called so I can't search for it.  I must have been trying to do a "view source" kind of thing with a Wordpress page or something that allowed it to get into DW and it's almost like a virus.

• 7. Re: tiny mce?

OK. Yes, if you did view source with a wordpress page and then cut and pasted into DW, that very well could explain it.

Or are you using WordPress with DW? That would also explain it.

• 8. Re: tiny mce?
                        lostinny2 Level 1

No, I don't use WP with DW.

I bought a new computer last week and am going to be doing a fresh download of DW so hopefully it won't transfer, but I'm guessing it's probably in the pages of my site so it may migrate over to the new version. It's really annoying.

Thanks for all your replies!

• 9. Re: tiny mce?

I'm sure a fresh download of DW won't make a difference. Good luck!