4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2014 3:26 AM by Eugene Tyson

Bold Text Problem

arturvahe Level 1

I want to use a text in bold format but it dosn't have bold choice. I'm using stroke but Is it ok or not? Which pt is acceptable when giving stroke

• 1. Re: Bold Text Problem
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

adding a thin stroke to text should be your very last resort, and how thick depends on the size of the text. Adding the stroke makes the text taller as well as thicker, so it strts to look out of line very easily, and it will also bunch up if you don't add some compensating tracking.

Far better to find a font for which a bold style is available.

• 2. Re: Bold Text Problem
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

This is the case, when you use a font without a bold style installed. What font are you trying to use in Bold?

InDesign does NOT support Faux Styles as Word or Quark are doing. Every style you use has to be installed. Adding a stroke to a font is NOT a good idea when you do it for boldening a font.

• 3. Re: Bold Text Problem
              Danny Whitehead. Level 4

It depends on the context. I'd avoid using a stroke to bolden certain words in running text at all costs. If it's a single word, or an entire headline where there won't be any non-bold text on the same line, you may get away with it. The weight of the stroke and amount of tracking needed to compensate is a subjective decision.

One possible exception might be casual handwritten fonts.

• 4. Re: Bold Text Problem
                Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree with all of the above. Sometimes you need to this though, so I accept there has to be circumstances that it's done.

I usually only add 0.125pt stroke - usually that's enough for me.

But you should judge it visually, you may need to adjust the tracking.