14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2014 10:18 AM by Rick Gerard

Choppy animation

Ian Collister

Just started working on a brand new Mac Pro with a copy of AE CC and I'm getting choppy animation, or lets say, not the smoothest animation. It looks like it's dropping frames or strobing in some way.

It's 25 fps, motion blur etc. Text is straight from AE, it's not an image. No camera, no plug ins, no lights, just the motion you can see. It's as choppy in the RAM preview as it is in the final render... any ideas?

• 1. Re: Choppy animation
          Ian Collister Level 1

Having had a look back at the video in the post, it might be better that you look at it in it's own tab / window as it's more apparent.

cheers all

i

• 2. Re: Choppy animation
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm not clear what you did. Yes, there is some weird hiccup in there, but the funny observation is that your motion blur is preceding the text, not following it, meaning you either have managed to make your shutter phase negative or reversed your animation using an effect or time-remapping. Well, whatever. We'd need a lot more information.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Choppy animation
              Ian Collister Level 1

Thanks for getting back to me Mylenium, now tell me what you need to know!

It was a fresh project and a fresh composition. I'd picked my size and fps from the drop down menu, didn't change anything there, used the type tool to add the text, animated it, RAM previewed it, rendered it and then uploaded it. No effects at all, apart from motion blur (timeline switch version, not an effect), no time remapping or any other time effects, no cameras, no lights, no 3d, erm... no nothing.

What should my shutter phase & shutter angle be set to?

• 4. Re: Choppy animation
                Ian Collister Level 1

Oh and I'm on a 6 core version of one of these:http://store.apple.com/uk-business/buy-mac/mac-pro with 16GB of ram.

Can I bin my prefs maybe and get it to give me an 'out of the box' fresh composition???

• 5. Re: Choppy animation
                  DESIGNbySAFIY Level 2

Need more info. Your AE version to the decimal, OS, project settings, render settings (resolution, FPS etc) here for us to see will help us help you. So many things could be affecting your project. No links please just post it here

P.S, Are your render FPS and Project FPS the same?

• 7. Re: Choppy animation
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What should my shutter phase & shutter angle be set to?

Shutter angle should be at 180 degrees and the phase have no offset - those are the default values. Double-check the Advanced composition settings, even more so since those settings are sticky and affect each newly created comp if you changed them once.

Mylenium

• 8. Re: Choppy animation
                      Ian Collister Level 1

Hi all

I haven't had a chance to look at this for some time, as I have been snowed under with non video work.

Rick, thanks for the links, much appreciated. Having read through them, I don't think it's any of those issues though. Don't hold me to it, I could easily be wrong, but having played around with it, it doesn't appear to be any of them.

Mylenium, when I opened the original test composition which I posted above, the shutter angle was 180 and the shutter phase was set to -90. I then set the shutter phase to 0 and it didn't make any difference

As a side note, a colleague did a fresh download and install of the latest AECC and when he opened it, the shutter phase was set to -90. Any ideas why???

The more I look at it, the more it feels like it's a drop frame / frame rate type issue. When I compile a ram preview, there's a jump after the first second or so, like its even encountering the issue whilst building / compiling the ram preview. On that note, the ram preview does show the problem when playing back, weather it be the first viewing or the tenth etc. This I think negates any render settings, as I suffer the issue before I need to render.

As I mentioned before, is it worth me binning my prefs to try and get a truly fresh project? Is there any way to get rid of any of that 'sticky' information you mentioned?

Below are my comp settings and OS etc. If you need any other info, let me know.

Big thank you to you all for getting back to me.

Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 14.38.15.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 14.37.33.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 14.37.49.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 14.38.01.png

• 9. Re: Choppy animation
                        Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I see definite judder in your movie. Especially line 4. The sticky frames are in a repeating pattern. I downloaded your movie from Vimeo, imported into AE and stepped through the animation one frame at a time. Each frame advances exactly the same distance on the screen.

Try this. Import your rendered movie into AE, Interpret the footage and conform the frame rate to 30 fps. Select the movie and create a comp from the selection, render and preview the movie. Everything will be smooth. There's nothing more going on here than you have hit what cinematographers call critical panning speeds and you're eyes and the frame rate are conspiring to make things hard to look at. Try the same thing interpreting the footage as 24 or even 20 fps and you'll see even worse judder.

In case you missed it before, read this: FAQ: Why does horizontal motion stutter (judder) in my movies, such as during pans?

• 10. Re: Choppy animation
                          Ian Collister Level 1

Cheers Rick.

I thought I'd ruled that out, as I had played around with the speed / distance of several objects on the screen (in a new comp, not this one), and seen the same issue to a greater or lesser degree on them all. I figured they couldn't all be hitting the critical speed.

I did as you said, the motion is now smoother, but the text has a very on / off strobe effect to it. So, I ramped up the frame rate to 99 (in the original comp, as high as it would go) and it then looks smooth and clean.

I can't believe I need to do this every time I do some simple text animations? I don't ever remember having this much trouble in the past, and I've done lots of similar motion and never had any issues. I might try opening some old projects on my old machine, maybe I'm kidding myself!

• 11. Re: Choppy animation

Judder at 25 and especially 24 is always a problem that you have to deal with. You can hide it with motion blur. Just changing the speed slightly will usually solve the problem. It's a math thing. Exactly the same as stage coach wheels turning backwards in westerns.

• 12. Re: Choppy animation
                              Ian Collister Level 1

Rick Gerard wrote:

Just changing the speed slightly will usually solve the problem. It's a math thing. Exactly the same as stage coach wheels turning backwards in westerns.

So thats now where I'm stuck, I'm changing the speed slightly or greatly and I'm still getting the problem. I can't believe I'm going to have to pre render everything at 99fps just to get smooth animation. I'm sure there is another issue at play here.

• 13. Re: Choppy animation
                                Ian Collister Level 1

Just a thought, I get this problem vertically as well as horizontally, if that makes any difference.

• 14. Re: Choppy animation

Vertical is often worse.