1 2 Previous Next 44 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2014 7:00 PM by TheCustomer

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4

TheCustomer Level 1

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2014/07/camera-raw-8-6-and-dng-converter-8-6-now-a vailable.html

The above says that Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files are supported in camera raw 8.6.  I specifically checked before buying the camera.  Everything I have ever read on the Adobe website for some 3+ years said that if a file in supported in Adobe Camera RAW, it is also supported in Lightroom.  Particularly, the above URL did NOT give any warning about the FZ10000 RAW files NOT being supported in Lightroom 4.  I went ahead and purchased the FZ1000, only to find I'm now having problem with Lightroom 4 not recognising the RAW files at all.  I'm really annoyed, as I was so careful to check the Adobe website first.  WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH CAMERA RAW AND LIGHTROOM?????

• 1. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
          dj_paige Level 9

Everything I have ever read on the Adobe website for some 3+ years said that if a file in supported in Adobe Camera RAW, it is also supported in Lightroom.

It is always supported in the EQUIVALENT version of Lightroom, which is Lightroom 5.6. It is not supported in earlier versions of Lightroom.

• 2. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
            TheCustomer Level 1

Thanks for your quick response but I don't understand what you mean by "equivalent" as in, what has to be "equivalent" to what?  Camera Raw is up to v 8.6 - Lightroom is only up to 5.6 - i.e. 8.6 does not equal 5.6.  And I still get back to saying I followed what Adobe said in the above URL.  I have Photoshop CS6, with Bridge, and the "CS6" has never equalled the number "6" in Camera Raw either.

• 3. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
              dj_paige Level 9

Camera Raw is up to v 8.6 - Lightroom is only up to 5.6 - i.e. 8.6 does not equal 5.6.

I didn't say the version of Lightroom that has the same version number as ACR 8.6. I said the version of Lightroom that is EQUIVALENT to ACR 8.6, in other words, has the same camera support.

When ACR 8.6 is released, and equivalent version of Lightroom is also released, usually simultaneously, but sometimes a week or two later. When ACR 8.6 was released, Lightroom 5.6 was released and is the equivalent version to ACR 8.6. Right now, as of today, Lightroom 5.6 is the only version of Lightroom that reads the RAW photos from your camera.

And I still get back to saying I followed what Adobe said in the above URL

I don't see at that URL where Adobe makes any claims that Lightroom 4 will support your camera, and in fact your understanding stated in the first message in this thread is a misunderstanding and also incorrect. Please see this document: Camera Raw plug-in | Supported cameras

• 4. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you convert your raw files to the Adobe universal Raw format they will open in LR4(keep your originals as backups and for use in the camera manufactures software)but you need to download the stand alone converter.

Windows download (.exe file) click here DNG Converter 8.6

Mac download (.dmg file) click here DNG Converter 8.6

You can convert a whole folder of raw images in one click. See this quick video tutorial:

You Tube click here for DNG Converter tutorial

• 5. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                  JimWilde Level 1

Every version of Lightroom effectively has a version of Camera Raw hard-coded within the program, and typically when a new dot release of Lightroom is released there will be a parallel release of the stand-alone ACR plug-in for Photoshop. If you do "About Lightroom" on your menu bar (Lightroom on Mac or Help on Windows) you will see the specific version of Camera Raw which is included in your specific version of Lightroom. For Lightroom 4.x it will be Camera Raw 7.x, but you need Camera Raw 8.6 for the FZ1000 raw support, which is only included in Lightroom 5.6.

So to be clear, Lightroom 4.x does not, nor will it ever, provide proprietary Raw support for that camera. If you do not wish to upgrade to Lightroom5, you can use the free Adobe DNG Converter (latest 8.6 version) to convert your raw files to DNG format (still full raw files, but now in a non-proprietary wrapper), which can then be imported into Lightroom 4.

• 6. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                    TheCustomer Level 1

Thanks JWtest.  Found the "About Lightroom" menu bar info.   I have now finally found some info that talks about having to use DNG Converter to create a DNG "copy" of the Lumix FZ1000 RAW files if I want to see them in Lightroom.  Sounds like an option, and I'll consider it further, but it does add yet another step in the whole downloading and file management process.  Right now, I'm busy having an upsetting meltdown about all this.  I'm really disappointed that, despite my efforts at carefully looking around the Adobe Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4 and particularly Camera Raw areas on the Adobe website for well over an hour, before deciding it would be safe to purchase the FZ1000, and another 20 minutes tonight, it appears that the Lumix FZ1000's files are indeed NOT directly supported by Lightroom 4.  This has been a costly mistake and has simply reinforced to me what a stuff up Adobe has made of the whole Raw/Bridge/PShop/LRoom interrelationships.  They used to be so much more straightforward.  Particularly, why oh why, can't Adobe just put one big cross reference table with all the versions and what fits with what?  DJ Paige has included a link to a table, but it did NOT come up in an hour of searching a week ago.

• 7. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                      99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can update CS6 to camera raw 8.6

From the Photoshop menu:

Help >> Updates

• 8. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                        TheCustomer Level 1

Thanks DJ

I get what you're saying now about version numbers, but your comment about "equivalency" didn't really help - and actually demonstrates how this has all become far too complicated.  I have always bothered to check the Adobe website but this time I've been caught out.  Followed your link above, only to see information that did NOT come up in an hour of searching the Adobe website a week ago.  All I know is that in the past, I've been able to easily find on the Adobe website good lists of what RAW files/cameras were supported in Camera Raw version xxxx   AND those files were supported in Lightroom as well.  Somewhere in Adobe's changes to Creative Cloud, and stuffing up people's enjoyment of their software, they have also introduced the sorts of disconnects that I've raised now, and EXTRA work now with the DNG converter business.  I might be able to understand Adobe doesn't want to keep having to support, e.g. Lightroom v1, or PShop version CS2.   BUT my versions are Lightroom 4 and PShop CS6, i.e. very recent versions of their software.  But they are fast being dumped in favour of creative cloud. 

• 9. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You expressed concern about converting to DNG adding an extra step. There are many people who routinely convert to DNG when downloading their raw files from the camera. The files have to be downloaded anyway. Just use the DNG converter as your download software.

It really hasn't been that costly of a mistake because the DNG files will give you access to everything Lightroom 4 has to offer. And the conversion process can almost seem seamless.

At some point you may want to consider upgrading. Perhaps you might wish to wait until Lightroom 6 becomes available.

• 10. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                            TheCustomer Level 1

Thanks 99jon.  I have Camera Raw 8.6 - I checked carefully before buying the Lumix.  It's the fact that Lightroom 4 isn't recognising the Lumix's RAW files that's the issue.  Previously, if a file was supported in Camera Raw, it was also supported in Lightroom.  There is now a disconnect.  So now I have to change my entire file downloading, processing workflow.  Previously, I used LRoom 4 to do the import of files from my camera, and the RAW files downloaded beautifully, and the files showed up in Bridge without any extra steps.  Part of that change may very well be that I totally dump Lightroom.  (Adobe's loss).

• 11. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                              TheCustomer Level 1

Thanks Jim.  I'll look at this DNG conversion business, including how to (hopefully) make it a reasonably easy part of my workflow.  Re upgrading to Lightroom 6, I would have to say that (right now) I am thoroughly annoyed and upset with Adobe and this experience has put me off their software.  What was such a thoroughly joyful part of my life is now upsetting.  Upgrade to Lroom 6 and then what?  What the hell else is Adobe going to change?  I know changes are part of life, but my experience in this case is that Adobe has been thoroughly mean to a customer who has reasonably up to date software.

• 12. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                dj_paige Level 9

Somewhere in Adobe's changes to Creative Cloud, and stuffing up people's enjoyment of their software, they have also introduced the sorts of disconnects that I've raised now, and EXTRA work now with the DNG converter business.  I might be able to understand Adobe doesn't want to keep having to support, e.g. Lightroom v1, or PShop version CS2.   BUT my versions are Lightroom 4 and PShop CS6, i.e. very recent versions of their software.  But they are fast being dumped in favour of creative cloud.

Incorrect. This has been Adobe's policy since day 1 with Lightroom and has nothing to do with Creative Cloud. Once a new version (before the decimal point, for example, version 5) of Lightroom comes out, previous versions stop being supported, and no new camera support is added to previous versions.

And as others have stated, Adobe still provides FREE software so that you can continue to use your old software with newer cameras. If this makes you angry, then so be it.

Followed your link above, only to see information that did NOT come up in an hour of searching the Adobe website a week ago.

When I go to my favorite search engine and search for cameras supported by Lightroom, this web page is the second web page listed ...

• 13. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                  DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Lightroom 5.x is the equivalent of ACR 8.x in PS CS 6 & CC

Lightroom 4.x is the equivalent of ACR 7.x in PS CS 6

Lightroom 3.x is the equivalent of ACR 6.x in PS CS 5

Lightroom 2.x is the equivalent of ACR 5.x in PS CS 4

Lightroom 1.x is the equivalent of ACR 4.x in PS CS 3

Lightroom does not use the ACR Plugin, this is used by PS CS/CC and Elements.

Adobe has not changed how Lightroom has been updated.

See the link below for the progressive support for various camera models.

Camera Raw plug-in | Supported cameras

• 14. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4

You are complaining about a "problem" that has been created by the different camera manufacturers, not Adobe. Camera makers insist on developing their own proprietary raw formats, refusing to conform to any standard. Consequently, Adobe has always from the very beginning had to provide support for raw formats on an individual camera basis. That means that every time Nikon or Canon or Panasonic or any other camera maker releases a new model Adobe has to create profiles for a new camera. Really! Don't blame Adobe for this mess. Adobe introduced the DNG format as a standard that all camera makers could adopt, making all this individual support totally unnecessary. There have only been one or two camera makers who have offered DNG as an alternative.

It's impractical, and I believe unreasonable, to expect Adobe to continue to support older versions of Lightroom by adding support for new cameras to them. It requires a complete rewrite and distribution of the program. And how far back can you expect them to go? There are still people using Lightroom 2. Do you really expect Adobe to provide support for them for a camera released in 2014 or 2015? The operating systems have changed, and so has software architecture. The most practical way for Adobe to provide new support is to offer software updates.

Adobe works hard to provide support as quickly as they can. And they provide the DNG converter free of charge. All this is an attempt to sort of standardized the raw format mess. But until the camera makers all decide to use a standardized format, Adobe and other software providers are forced to work the way they are working.

• 15. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                      TheCustomer Level 1

Hi Jim

I do get what you're saying about Adobe's introduction of DNG to overcome the frustrating aspect of camera manufacturers having, endlessly, not only their own RAW file formats, but introducing multiple RAW file formats (eg Canon has > one RAW format, ditto Nikon).   So, yes, kudos to Adobe.

My main issue here is that, I did try to do the right thing and searched Adobe's website extensively before purchasing the Lumix.  Somehow in all that searching, this issue of a particular camera model being supported in Camera Raw but NOT in Lightroom 4 (ie the last Lightroom version before CC was introduced) didn't come up. 

• 16. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                        TheCustomer Level 1

Thanks to DdeGannes who said:

THAT IS, Photoshop CS6  can have EITHER ACR 7.x OR ACR 8.x   (the version number before the . dot) - BUT a person then has to make sure they ALSO have the correct LRoom v 4 or 5 to go with ACR 8 or 7.  Maybe that's what made it easier.

Whereas all previous versions of Photoshop CS (according to your "equivalency" table) had ONLY ONE version of ACR fitting with ONE particular version of Photoshop CS, and ONLY ONE particular version of Lightroom.

Can only repeat what I've just written to Jim:   I did try to do the right thing and searched Adobe's website extensively before purchasing the Lumix.  Somehow in all that searching, this issue of a particular camera model being supported in Camera Raw but NOT in Lightroom 4 didn't come up.  I wish Adobe had a nice clear table like yours on their website - AND easily findable.  Ditto, I am so frustrated about not finding the table per the link provided by dj_paige. 

• 17. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                          TheCustomer Level 1

Correction by me, Irene !!!

Thanks to DdeGannes who said:

THAT IS, Photoshop CS6  can have EITHER ACR 7.x OR ACR 8.x   (the version number before the . dot) - BUT a person then has to make sure they ALSO have the correct LRoom v 4 or 5 to go with ACR 8 or 7. 

Whereas all previous versions of Photoshop CS (according to your "equivalency" table) had ONLY ONE version of ACR fitting with ONE particular version of Photoshop CS, and ONLY ONE particular version of Lightroom.    Maybe that's what made it easier.

Can only repeat what I've just written to Jim:   I did try to do the right thing and searched Adobe's website extensively before purchasing the Lumix.  Somehow in all that searching, this issue of a particular camera model being supported in Camera Raw but NOT in Lightroom 4 didn't come up.  I wish Adobe had a nice clear table like yours on their website - AND easily findable.  Ditto, I am so frustrated about not finding the table per the link provided by dj_paige. 

• 18. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                            dj_paige Level 9

As I said, this table is easily findable, I went to a second-tier search engine and typed in: cameras supported by Lightroom.

So just now I went to the Adobe main web page (adobe.com) and clicked on the search icon and typed in: cameras supported by Lightroom -- guess what, its the first page listed. That would seem to match my definition of "easily findable".

• 19. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4

I find it strange that if you did that much reading you didn't run across the issue of compatibility with different versions of Lightroom. It is a common complaint here on the forum. There are people right now who have purchased the Nikon D750 who don't have any support right now, DNG or otherwise, because the camera is so new. They will have to wait for the next iteration of Lightroom, or Camera Raw, or the DNG converter before they can do anything with ANY Adobe software as far as their raw files are concerned.

I'm afraid it's a reality when working with raw files from any camera. It isn't just you and your new Panasonic. Anyone who purchases a new camera that was released since support ended for their software will have to purchase new software if they want native support for their raw files. It isn't just Adobe, either.

Really, try the DNG converter. Use it to download your images instead of some other software program. The conversion will take place as the files are transferred to the computer, and then you can import them and go to work on them immediately in Lightroom. I suggest that you take a few minutes and watch the following video. It might help alleviate some of your misgivings or apprehensions about using DNG files:

LR/PS - The Advantages of the DNG File Format | Adobe Evangelists - Julieanne Kost | Adobe TV

You have spent nearly $1000 for new camera equipment. It seems to me that it would be worth investing another $79 to get the latest Lightroom with the most recent updates. This would ensure that you are getting the very best results from that new camera investment.

• 20. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                                TheCustomer Level 1

No wonder I'm confused.

Lightroom does not use the ACR Plugin".  Another says "Every version of Lightroom effectively has a version of Camera Raw hard-coded within the program".  And the Adobe Bridge help file of 2012 says "

Camera Raw and Lightroom share the same image-processing technology to ensure consistent and compatible results across applications.

• 21. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                                  TheCustomer Level 1

I didn't happen to type in exactly the 4 words that you did.  A week ago, searches on such words as "lightroom 4", "camera RAW files in Lightroom" etc. did not bring up that particular table. 

Lucky for you that it worked.

• 22. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                                    Jim Wilde Level 5

TheCustomer wrote:

No wonder I'm confused.

Lightroom does not use the ACR Plugin".  Another says "Every version of Lightroom effectively has a version of Camera Raw hard-coded within the program".  And the Adobe Bridge help file of 2012 says "

Camera Raw and Lightroom share the same image-processing technology to ensure consistent and compatible results across applications.

All three of those statements are correct, there is no conflict at all.

Lightroom does not use ACR as a plug-in in the same way that Photoshop uses the ACR plug-in (Statement 1). Instead the ACR processing engine is part and parcel of the Lightroom executable code, i.e. it's hard-coded (Statement 2), which means that to upgrade the ACR level to support new cameras requires a full new dot release version of the Lightroom program, but only the updated version of the ACR plug-in for Photoshop. And finally, the functionality provided by the ACR plug-in in Photoshop/Bridge is (with one or two subtle differences) the same as the functionality provided by the Develop module of the corresponding version of Lightroom (Statement 3).

• 23. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4

Trouble is, it seems to me that too many people jump into Lightroom with both feet without understanding what the program is all about. They assume, seemingly, that Lightroom is just a different version of Photoshop and they proceed on that assumption. In reality, Lightroom is very different. And if someone is going to adopt Lightroom as part of their professional workflow it would be to their advantage to slow down a little and learn what the program is all about.

• 24. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                                        TheCustomer Level 1

Hi Jim Hess and Jim Wilde

I don't think I should have to know about executable code  and what it "means" re "full dot releases" of a program, or how Lightroom "uses" ACR v/s how Bridge does.  I have bothered to read the Adobe website over the years as I upgraded from version to version of Photoshop, Camera RAW and Lightroom, and camera to camera including across different manufacturers), and there has been sufficient clarity over several years for me to keep it all working in sync, including handling all of the various formats of RAW files, and movies (and scanned slide TIFFs etc.).  I have also bought and methodically worked through textbooks on Camera Raw and Lightroom, and all the Adobe help files, and even the PSA Journal (of USA) has referred to how Camera Raw links with Lightroom.  I KNOW that Lightroom is a "file management" / database program etc.  I had managed to keep it all interacting beautifully.

Until now.  Now it's gotten so complicated and the problem has arisen at the very time that Adobe has made Lightroom a cloud-based version, and created 2 different versions of ACR for Pshop CS6 etc.  Maybe it's just coincidence.

In summary, I think I've put in PLENTY of effort to understand the programs, how they interrelate etc. (without getting into the technicalities of the behind-the-scenes computer coding) and HAD kept it all working extremely well.  Till now.

• 25. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                                          dj_paige Level 9

Until now.  Now it's gotten so complicated and the problem has arisen at the very time that Adobe has made Lightroom a cloud based version, and created 2 different versions of ACR for Pshop CS6 etc.  Maybe it's just coincidence.

The issue you are concerned about has been in existence since Lightroom 2 came out. You simply haven't encountered it before.

The issue you are concerned became prominent in your mind when you bought a new camera (which was about at the same time as Creative CLoud was announced). Had you not bought the new camera, you would not be aware of the issue at all.

Yes, it is completely a coincidence.

• 26. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4

You don't need to know about executable code. But you need to know a few basics such as the fact that Lightroom does not use the Camera Raw plug-in. You probably know this, but many new users get confused. Lightroom does not write changes to the original files. Many people when they start using Lightroom want to know why they can't see the changes to their images in other programs. They don't understand why they have to export copies. And they want to blame Adobe for not supporting their camera immediately. They expect Adobe to be able to receive advance copies of file formats from the camera makers. Guess what, that just doesn't happen. Panasonic or Nikon or Sony or Canon could care less about whether or not Lightroom and Photoshop can open their raw files. It simply is not their concern. These are the types of things that it's good to get your head around so that you can understand Lightroom and why updates are necessary.

The compatibility issue with different versions of Lightroom is an ongoing, and will continue to be an ongoing, problem as long as the camera makers insist on creating their own proprietary raw file formats. I know how badly you want to plead "innocent" (for lack of a better word) in this situation. But you have just experienced what many other users have when they purchase new equipment. New equipment sometimes requires new software. And that's where you are at. Adobe isn't forcing you to do that. In fact, they are providing a viable workaround. If that workaround isn't acceptable then you have a decision to make. Use the DNG converter or find some other alternative software.

• 27. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4

"THAT IS, Photoshop CS6  can have EITHER ACR 7.x OR ACR 8.x   (the version number before the . dot) - BUT a person then has to make sure they ALSO have the correct LRoom v 4 or 5 to go with ACR 8 or 7.  Maybe that's what made it easier."

end quote.

Yes, Adobe made a special concession to owners of Photoshop CS6 when the Monthly Payment version of Photoshop was introduced and continued to provide updates to the ACR version 8.x to PS CS6. The version of ACR 8.x Plugin that installs in PS CS6 only contains bug fixes and support for new camera models, but no new features of ACR 8 included.

Also if you go to the link below, Lightroom Journal, there is official info there about all Lightroom and ACR updates. This is an official Adobe info site.

Lightroom Journal | Tips and advice straight from the Lightroom team.

• 28. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                                                TheCustomer Level 1

I do appreciate the many RAW file formats being created by the camera manufacturers, as I have had varying cameras with the varying formats, and so am very aware of the whole business of making sure how those formats will fit into my software.  And, as already stated, appreciate Adobe's efforts to deal with all those formats.

This whole exercise has been upsetting, and there has been some good advice and info provided in this discussion. 

And unfortunately, some input that has been a little too technical and not particularly helpful.  I feel that some of the input was a little too critical and didn't recognise that maybe some of us aren't so are highly involved and knowledgeable in Adobe products and the technicalities of how the software works, dot versioning of software, executable coding etc. because we don't need to, and shouldn't have to.  I have bothered to learn Lightroom well in terms of its functionality including matters raised by you (eg making LRoom edits visible in other software, knowing that LR is not making changes to the actual files, rather they are in sidecar or xmp files etc.).  I have bothered to learn a reasonable amount of computer-related info to understand things in plain English terms, such as "to have PShop and LRoom to recognise my RAW files, I need to have ACR.  To have them run on my PC, they must be compatible with Windows operating system version xxx.  For many people, this level of knowledge should be enough.

I have NOT said I expect Adobe to get advance copies of file formats from manufacturers;  I have NOT said that I expect Adobe to support every new camera model immediately.

The technicalities of the coding and whether Lightroom "uses" the ACR plug in or not is not quite so much the issue, and I don't find the statement that "Lightroom does not use the Camera Raw plug-in" helpful.  I don't think it's really right either.  Lightroom - one way or the other - DOES "USE" ACR as the ability of Lightroom to recognise files is very much dependent on the version of ACR that you have.  LRoom may not use the ACR plug in as PShop/Bridge in the exact same way (eg for the actual editing of files such as exposure, white balance etc.), but Lightroom DOES USE the ACR PLUG IN.... in regard to the file recognition issue.

And Yes....  I made a mistake.  Somehow, despite what I thought were good efforts to research the Lumix's support in PShop CS6, Bridge, ACR and Lroom 4, I got it wrong.  I will accept that it was my mistake and I'll accept my part in this, but I won't be made to feel that that it's been "totally" my fault, stupidity, whatever. 

Thanks to all the people who have provided useful comment and input to my original question and subsequent responses throughout this discussion.  I will indeed now consider options like the DNG converter.  I was aware of the whole cloud thing, and had been thinking I would upgrade in perhaps a couple of years time (for both Pshop and LRoom) - I'll have to consider upgrading sooner rather than later. 

• 29. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4

Quote. "The technicalities of the coding and whether Lightroom "uses" the ACR plug in or not is not quite so much the issue, and I don't find the statement that "Lightroom does not use the Camera Raw plug-in" helpful.  I don't think it's really right either.  Lightroom - one way or the other - DOES "USE" ACR as the ability of Lightroom to recognise files is very much dependent on the version of ACR that you have.  LRoom may not use the ACR plug in as PShop/Bridge in the exact same way (eg for the actual editing of files such as exposure, white balance etc.), but Lightroom DOES USE the ACR PLUG IN.... in regard to the file recognition issue." end quote.

Just to clarify

a. Lightroom is a complete stand alone application and does not require you to have any other Adobe application installed for it to function.

b. By default Lightroom records all the work you do with the files that have been imported into the Catalog and all further edits to those files. Lightroom can if required and you choose the options provided also write and read from .xmp sidecar files, this is only necessary to allow other Adobe software like Photoshop to read the Lightroom edits etc.

c. Every version of Lightroom has the equivalent of ACR as part of its core application (I tried to demonstrate this in my earlier post). So the latest version of Lightroon Version 4 i.e 4.4.1 has the equivalent of ACR 7.4.1. (Lightroom 4 will therefore not be 100% comparable to ACR 8.)

Have a look at the video in the link below, it will provide a better understanding of how the Lightroom Catalog  functions.

The Lightroom Catalog | George Jardine on Lightroom | Adobe TV

• 30. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                                                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The bottom line is that each camera must be supported individually and Lightroom 4 is over a year older than your camera so cannot process raw files from it, natively.

The choices would seem to be upgrade to a newer version of Lightroom for $80/US or use the free DNG Converter version that is new enough to convert the camera’s raw files to DNGs.  There will be minimum operating system requirements for using the latest DNG Converter.

I remember being upset many years ago when I got a new camera and found out I’d have to upgrade my expensive Photoshop, but I’ve long since gotten over that.

• 31. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                                                      TheCustomer Level 1

Hello ssprengel

I have over the last 6 months casually looked at upgrading to the newer version of Lightroom.  Here in Australia at least it always appeared that such an upgrade involved, not just upgrading to the LRoom 5 version through a small upgrade payment, but also converting to the new creative cloud system.  So I have put it off for a little while, waiting for the creative cloud system to "settle down".  (I'm not an early adopter of new techo due to the sometimes major bugs found.)  I had intended to more seriously look at the creative cloud system for all my adobe products in about 2 years.  But I may be shifting that timetable to sooner rather than later.

As well as an Adobe product upgrade, and the DNG converter solution that people have suggested, I have thought of other ways to deal with my issue, so I'll work through the options.

Cheers

• 32. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                                                        TheCustomer Level 1

I'm interested in the point a. statement that:  "Lightroom is a complete stand alone application and does not require you to have any other Adobe application installed for it to function".

By "function", I presume you are referring to its ability to do catalog management, allow editing of photos (eg white balance, exposure etc.) in the Develop module, use LRoom for creating collection, working with metadata (eg applying copyright notices to your files), the slideshows etc.

However, WHAT DETERMINES whether a file can be recognised by LRoom?  I thought it was ACR.

If the argument is that ACR is a "plug in" rather than an "application", then this is the sort of technicality that I think doesn't change what I said in my earlier post:

"Lightroom - one way or the other - DOES "USE" ACR as the ability of Lightroom to recognise files is very much dependent on the version of ACR that you have."

ONE WAY OR THE OTHER the ACR version is critical.

Re your point c., I sure get it now that there are 2 different versions of ACR that fit with PShop CS6, and that then you have be careful re which version of LRoom fits with what.  Your table was one of the most helpful responses during this discussion.

Re your point b., I have studied LRoom quite a lot as per my earlier posts, so I know about the edits / sidecar/ xmp side of things.

• 33. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                                                          dj_paige Level 9

The code embedded in Lightroom determines what photos can be opened.

ACR is not a plug-in for Lightroom.

Lightroom will operate completely if ACR is not present on the computer where Lightroom is installed. So the version of ACR installed (or not installed) does not affect Lightroom in any way.

ONE WAY OR THE OTHER the ACR version is critical.

The version of Lightroom is critical to determine the files that can be opened by Lightroom. The version of ACR installed (or not installed) is irrelevant to Lightroom.

• 34. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4

If you go to the Lightroom menu bar Help> about Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.4 you should see in the pop up see version 4.4 then Cameras raw 7.4. (you cannot change the Camera Raw to do  so you will have to purchase the upgrade to LR 5.)

Similarly if you go to the help menu in PS CS6 you can check to see what version version is installed it can go up Camera Raw 8.6

• 35. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                                                              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are two ways to get a newer LR version, one involving the creative cloud and one not.  Here are the US links:

Photographer's Plan LR+PS - $10/month (US):  Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud

LR 5 Upgrade - $80 (US):  Products

If you get the CC plan that include LR+PS then you'll get LR5, now, and LR6 whenever it comes out.

If you upgrade to LR5, now, then you'll have to pay another $80 for LR6 whenever it comes out which could be a lot less than a year since LR5 came out over a year ago.  If you wait and use DNGs until LR6 comes out then you'll be able to skip paying the $80 for LR5 in between.  It all depends on what your level of patience is regarding the DNGs and resources you might have to upgrade.

• 36. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                                                                TheCustomer Level 1

Hello dj paige

Re your statement "Lightroom will operate completely if ACR is not present on the computer where Lightroom is installed. So the version of ACR installed (or not installed) does not affect Lightroom in any way.".......

WOW - this is the first time I've ever heard this.  Good info.  Thanks.

• 37. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                                                                  TheCustomer Level 1

cloud product.  If LR6 is due out relatively soon, then maybe it's better to wait till then.  But often when I upgrade my computer, software etc. I wait a little longer and then make the bigger leap ........  hence I will probably hold out and then do the conversion to the LRoom/Pshop CC bundle.  Might be a Christmas present to myself!!

Re the DNG matter, this is like the whole VHS/Beta thing, or music DVDs then Ipods etc.  A person can spend a lot of time converting from one technology / type of equipment to another, and converting all their old file and stuff, again and again during a lifetime.  So it would be nice to think that DNG will be a long lasting alternative, and Adobe will be around a long time for the DNGs to be supported.  All food for thought re my photography related activities.  I am a member of a camera club so I'm going to ask my local members for their actual experiences with DNG, and particularly what they're doing with the original RAW files from their cameras.  Someone earlier on this discussion mentioned keeping the original RAWs just in case - so that means retaining 3 copies of every image (1 x JPG, 1 x original RAW, 1 x DNG).  And maybe 4 if you want good resolution TIFFs from your RAWs.   I hope 30 terabyte external hard drives come out soon!!!

• 38. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                                                                    Bob Somrak Level 5

You don't need to keep copies of the generated jpg or tiff files.  Just reexport them when needed. 

• 39. Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 RAW files support in Lightroom 4
                                                                                      TheCustomer Level 1

Hi Bob, When I take a photo using RAW, I like to ALSO have a copy of it as a JPG or Tiff, so if one of the files gets corrupted (or I somehow manage to stupidly delete it), I still have another version of it.  I've only lost 3 files in about 10 years, and that was in the earlier days, so now, I also like to keep multiple backup copies on various external hard drives, including offsite !!  Yes, that's a bit more work for me, but it's worth it.

1 2 Previous Next