1 2 Previous Next 53 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2014 12:27 PM by A.T. Romano

Can't capture in v.11

Rodney1947

I recently purchased v.11, but it won't let me capture from either a DVR or my digital camera.  It keeps saying "No Device Control".  I've tried everything, including choosing various input types.  Can you help me?

• 1. Re: Can't capture in v.11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney1947

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running?

What are you selecting for the Add Media choice. By any chance DV Camcorder or DVD Camcorder?

A just in case note....those choices are for, for example, when you have a miniDV camcorder and are doing DV or HDV data

capture firewire into the Premiere Elements Capture Window.

Let us start by getting a description for what you designate as "digital camera". What is the brand/model/settings for the camera

that is recording the video.

Lots more quetions. But, for now, based on your answers to the above, we can develop a customized troubleshooting plan for your issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can't capture in v.11
            Rodney1947 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply!

O.S.: Windows 7

Add media choice:  Tried all of them, none work.

Should be able to use "DV Camcorder by Firewire", as I am using both a

Panasonic DV-2000

professional DVR (playing a digital tape), and a JVC GY-DV300

professional camcorder

(playing a digital tape).  I am connecting both using a firewire cable. 

This same

configuration/cable still works with my old V.3.  The computer is

recognizing the input from

both, but the Adobe program is not.

I set the camera for video playback from tape, but I can't capture the

digital video tape

information from either the camera or DVR.

• 3. Re: Can't capture in v.11
              Rodney1947 Level 1

Can't remember if I mentioned it in my original posting, but the capture

window

keeps saying "No Device Control".  This happens with both the DVR and

camera.

• 4. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney

Have you reviewed the Adobe document on Capture?

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Capture video

ATR

Add On...Just in case note, DV and HDV capture firewire are discontinued in Premiere Elements 13.

• 5. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                  Rodney1947 Level 1

I have read the document completely.  I had actually tried a couple of

the suggestions

in it before.  Tried everything in it now.

Still no capture from either device. Keeps telling me "No device

control", no matter

what setting I use in the Device Control menu.

I have been so frustrated with v.11, that I am thinking of deleting it

and going back to

my old v.3.  It was easier to work with and didn't give me any of the

many problems I

have encountered with v.11.  The only reason I purchased v.11 was that Adobe

wouldn't activate my v.3 in a new computer.  Wish I knew how to get my

money back.

I really need to capture video that I made recently for a customer. If

we can't get v.11

to work, I will reboot the old computer (XP) and do it in v.3.

And, BTW: this document says it is for v.10, not v.11.

• 6. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney1947

Thanks for the update. Sorry the news is not better.

As for the Adobe document...the content is applicable to 11, is listed as an 11 document, but, rather than create a video

tutorial for 11 specifically, Adobe seems to have opted to go with the Sengstack video tutorial in which he demos Capture firewire with Premiere Elements 10.

Same principles.

Moving to the current version (13) is no answer since Adobe has removed the DV and HDV data capture firewire feature from the program. It is still in version 12 - if you can find a vendor with it in stock. But, version 12 and 11 are very similar.

Just not to take anything for granted...you write that the continuing issue is the message you get about no device control. Since you have read the Adobe document fully, can I assume that you cannot do your captures with the "without device control workflow" as described in the Adobe document's section on "Capture Footage Without Device Control?

Please remind me - have you done the DV data and HDV data captures firewire in Windows Movie Maker and HDVSplit and been successful at that?

I will think about this some more.

ATR

• 7. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                      Rodney1947 Level 1

That is correct.  I cannot capture from either device by using the

suggestions

in the document under "Capture Footage Without Device Control".  I have set

the control to "None", and it still won't let me capture.  I had tried

that even

before reading the document.

I have not tried Windows Movie Maker.  Will check that out.

• 8. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney1947

Thanks for the follow ups.

The typical troubleshooting cross checks for capture firewire into Premiere Elements are

DV data

Windows Movie Maker

or

WinDV WinDV

HDV data

HDVSplit

HDVSplit 0.77 beta

We will be watching for your results when your schedule permits.

Thank you for the additional troubleshooting.

ATR

• 9. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                          Rodney1947 Level 1

I discovered that my Win-7 computer did not come with Movie Maker,

so can't try that.

So I dug out my old XP computer and it is capturing the video into V.3

just fine.  I'm using the same cable and player, and it works fine.

This is very frustrating.

• 10. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                            Rodney1947 Level 1

Will the proof of capture into the V.3 suffice as troubleshooting?

This proves that the problem is not my DVR, camera, or cable.

• 11. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney1947

Thanks for the update.

This may be a stretch, but...

Is your Windows 7 64 bit on a laptop or desktop? If laptop, what is the format on the hard drive (NTFS or FAT32 or something else)?

Also, I would still like to see the DV or HDV data capture firewire done into another program's capture window

on your Windows 7 64 bit. Any chance of that? Just not to take anything for granted.

Please review and consider.

ATR

• 12. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                Rodney1947 Level 1

It's 32-bit on a desktop.  The HD is NTFS.

I don't have any other capture program in this computer, so I will see

if I can download Movie Maker or one of the others.

I'm using standard DV, not HDV.

• 13. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                  Rodney1947 Level 1

I downloaded Windows Movie Maker, but there is a problem importing into

it.  It recognizes my DVR (shows it in the import screen), but when I

tell it to

import from the DVR, I get the following error message:

"The video device is currently in use.  Close any other program

that is using

the device..."

I believe the "other program" it is referring to is the Adobe program,

although I

have closed it. It is not running when I get this message.

Another thing: when I first boot up the computer, if I turn the DVR on

before

I open the Adobe program, the Adobe program opens by itself.  So it

apparently

recognizes the DVR; it just won't import from it.

Is it possible that there is a defect in my Adobe program?  Would it

help to delete

it and reload?  Would Adobe let me do that?

• 14. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney

Thanks for the further information.

There should be no problem getting another set of installation files for Premiere Elements 11 for your Windows 7 64 bit, I hope.

Here are scenarios...

1. If you purchased 11 as an online download direct from Adobe to your Windows 7 64 bit, you should be able to go to "My Orders" at the Adobe web site

and download a new set of files (.exe and .7z for 64 bit). And, then during installation, insert your purchased serial number.

2. You can go to the following web site and download and install the Premiere Elements 11 tryout and then insert your purchased serial number into it.

Photoshop Elements 11 Direct Download Links: Free Trials, Premiere | ProDesignTools

You have to read and carry out carefully the "Note: Very Important Instructions" at that web site in order to avoid an Access Denied message.

Just in case not, are you checking the Task Manager/Processes for opened processes?

ATR

• 15. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                      Rodney1947 Level 1

As I mentioned, my Win7 is 32 bit.

I purchased the program on disc, so wouldn't have to download.

Are you saying I should I delete/reload the program from my disc?

I have not checked the Task Manager.  Will look at that.

Beginning to think I should have purchased v.8 or v.9.  Amazon still has

them for sale.

• 16. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney

You should do great with the Premiere Elements 11 installation disc. I would

disable the antivirus and firewall(s) beforehand.

Depending of the circumstances of the issue, a second approach might be to copy the

contents of the Premiere Elements 11 disc to a folder on the computer desktop and then

install the program from the setup.exe from the desktop.

But the uninstall, free ccleaner run through, reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled is good start.

The major perk of Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit is that it is a 64 bit application under those circumstances; whereas

Premiere Elements 8 and 9 are not on Windows 7 64 bit. All that has to do with computer resource implications when it comes to larger size projects.

ATR

• 17. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                          Rodney1947 Level 1

I did a clean uninstall/reinstall, and it's doing the same thing: no

capture.

I am fed up with this program, and will delete it again and see if Amazon

still has any V.9 programs left.  Hope I can find a way to get a refund

on my v.11.

My v.3 is working fine; used it to edit the video that my customer has

been waiting for.  It's using the same source, cables, etc., that I tried to

use in the v.11.

• 18. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney

Thanks for the update.

I have not been back to your thread in a while, but, if you are thinking 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows 7 64 bit instead of 11, why not

look at the tryout of 9 before any purchase of 9 from anyone. Could be more money and more grief.

You can download and install the tryout of Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 from the following web site. If is works for you on

your current Windows 7 64 bit, then you can plan some purchase strategy. As far as I know this web site makes the tryout

available but it does not sells it.

Photoshop Elements 9 & Premiere Elements 9 Direct Download Links | ProDesignTools

You need to read and carry out carefully the Note: Very Important Instructions on that web page otherwise you run into an Access Denied message.

Has happened to more than one.

Please remind me, did you go through the drill of assuring the integrity of the firewire port on Windows 7 64 bit computer? Were any of the Windows Movie

Maker or WinDV captures ever successful on the Windows 7 64 bit computer?

I just do not want you to get left on the telephone trying to get your money back for any more additional Premiere Elements purchases.

Please update us on any new developments when you get the time.

ATR

• 19. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                              Rodney1947 Level 1

A.T.:

Once again, I emphasize that my Win 7 is a 32 bit, not a 64 bit.

I have done another clean uninstall of V.11, and deleted anything I

could find

in the computer that had to do with Adobe Premiere.

I can capture from my digital camera's VCR setting into Movie Maker, but

it won't

let me capture from my DVR.  I'm using the same cable and Firewire input

that

I tried to use with Adobe.

When I try to capture from the DVR tape into Movie Maker, I get this

"The video device is currently in use. Close any other program that

is using it..."

This makes no sense, since I have completely eliminated the only program

other

than Movie Maker that could capture video from my DVR.

• 20. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the Windows 64 instead of 32 bit in my reply 18. Just wanted to triple check the integrity of the computer's firewire port.

What about non capture background programs related to DVR? Any remote possibility?

ATR

• 21. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                                  Rodney1947 Level 1

I'm not familiar with background programs related to the DVR.  Can you

give me

examples to look for?

The computer continually recognizes both my camera and my DVR.  It emits the

sound when I first connect either, and the Movie Maker input (capture)

window

shows they are connected and ready.  So I know the cable and Firewire

card are

both working OK.

• 22. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney

It was just a stretch of the imagination, but I was thinking in terms of Windows Media Center and/or Windows Media Player.

Does the DVR User Guide give any examples of possibilities?

ATR

• 23. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                                      Rodney1947 Level 1

I actually checked out WM Player, and it's not showing that it has

the DVR running in it.

I will check the user's guide.

• 24. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                                        Rodney1947 Level 1

A.T.:

Nothing in the owner's manual about this.

WM Player still says that my DVR is already running somewhere.  My guess

is that

Adobe planted a file somewhere in my computer to this effect, and it

wasn't deleted

when I deleted the program.  I'm still stuck using my old v.3. Debating

purchasing

v.9, but if I can't capture, it probably wouldn't do me any good.

• 25. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney

Sorry news was not better in finding an open file or files that the system suggests exist.

You could try Premiere Elements 9.0 tryout (not purchase) on your Windows 7 computer. It is Premiere Elements13 where

the DV data and HDV data capture firewire has been removed.

Is it worth trying again to install Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 on your Windows 7 computer?

ATR

• 26. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                                            Rodney1947 Level 1

I tried installing v.3 on my new computer, but Adobe wouldn't let me

run it.  They said they weren't supporting any version older than, I

believe, 8.  That was why I purchased v.11.

I may try the v.9, just to see if I can capture. But what bothers me

now is WM Maker telling me that my DVR is already running somewhere.

I wonder if that would keep v.9 from capturing.

• 27. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                                              Rodney1947 Level 1

V.11 has really screwed up my new computer.  Windows Movie Maker keeps

saying

that my DVR is running somewhere, so I assume somehow, Adobe has created a

place where it is constantly connecting to my DVR, even though I have

deleted the

program.

In desperation, I did a system restore to a point before I loaded V.11,

and at first,

WM Maker started to capture from my DVR, then quit, and I got the message

again that another program was using it.  I checked, and V.11 had

reloaded itself!

I have reached the point where it appears the only solution is going to

be to

completely reload my Win 7 and wipe out everything on it and start from

scratch.

If I go with Adobe Premiere again, it will be V. 9.

• 28. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney1947

We had talked previously about looking at the 9 tryout on your Windows 7 32 bit. Did you ever get a chance to do that?

From your wording on your last post, I do not think you have had time for that yet.

In the meanwhile, have you been able to move ahead with your projects with Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2

doing the capture firewire task?

ATR

• 29. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                                                  Rodney1947 Level 1

I have reset my computer to a time before loading V.11 (which keeps

re-loading itself somehow), so don't want to download the v.9 trial until

I can completely clear the remnants of v.11 out.  Something is keeping

WM Maker from being able to use my DVR, even after removing V.11

from the computer. It's been extremely frustrating.  I've lost a lot of

work time trying to fix this problem.  I use the DVR extensively to record

and then capture digital video into Adobe to edit for my customers, and

I can't use it in my new computer because of what v.11 has done to it.

I have the original Win7 disc, so may reload the OS and try to start over

with the v.9 or its trial.  Just have to figure out how to reload the OS.

Never done that.

Yes, my v.3 is working fine in the old computer, and I have continued with

my projects that need done by using it.  It captures from my DVR with

no problem.

I really appreciate all the time you have worked with me.  I hope we can

eventually find a solution to all of this.  I have never had this much

trouble

with any software before, including Adobe.  I started with v.2, and upgraded

to v.3 when it came out, and never had a problem.

• 30. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney1947

Thanks for the update.

We will be watching for further developments.

Is there any merit in contacting the manufacturer of the DVR about what computer programs might be opened related to the DVR?

But, I suspect that you have already gone through every process in the Task Manager/Processes.

ATR

• 31. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                                                      Rodney1947 Level 1

The DVR is old enough that there is no longer manufacturer support for it.

I have two of them, and the WM Maker won't open either of them and gives

me the same message that the unit is being used elsewhere.

I have looked through the Task Manager, and can't see anything that has

anything to do with the DVR, although some abbreviations are hard to

comprehend.

• 32. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                                                        Rodney1947 Level 1

I checked out the site in this link, and it's very confusing as to how

to get the

v.9 trial, plus the download is WAY too large for my internet service.

So if I can clear up my computer, I will just buy v.9 on disc and cross

my fingers.

• 33. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney1947

If you must, you must. But, if you were not going to do it already, please check with the seller what the money back policy is. This way you will know

what you will be facing beforehand.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 34. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                                                            Rodney1947 Level 1

A.T.:

I have found a v.9 on e-bay (unopened) at a good price, so have ordered it.

I doug into my computer for anything that had Adobe on it and deleted

anything

I could find.  Downloaded WM Maker (again, since when I restored the

computer to

a point before v.11, it deleted Movie Maker), and Movie Maker will

capture from my

digital camera, but I still get the message that the DVR is already

running somewhere,

so still can't capture from it.

I will load v.9 when it arrives and see if I can capture from it. If

not, then I am going

to reload the OS and start from scratch.

Rodney

• 35. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney

We will be watching for your results.

If you have not already, is there any merit to looking at the DVR from its original factory settings perspective

and starting from that as if you had just purchased the DVR and were setting it up for use?

ATR

• 36. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                                                                Rodney1947 Level 1

I had thought about that, but there's nothing really to preset in the DVR

other than the time and date.  All other settings occur at the time of

recording.

Delivery estimate is next Friday, so I will know more by then. Hoping this

version works better than 11.

• 37. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                                                                  Rodney1947 Level 1

I received the v.9 this morning and have loaded it.

It has solved half of my problem, as it allowed me to capture from my

digital

camera.  But it still won't capture from my DVR.  I'm considering reloading

the OS to see if that clears that problem up.

Meantime, the only thing I haven't been able to find in v.9 is how to

add the

black video at the beginning of the timeline like I could do in v.3 &

v.11.  Will

keep looking for that.

• 38. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney

Is this what you needed?

v9-1.jpg

Looking forward to your progress. Thanks for the update and the good news part.

ATR

Add On...Remember, to be working with the 9.0.1 Update. And, no Sign In any longer in versions earlier than 11.

The photoshop.com plus members only items thumbnails may still be visible but are no longer available

now that photoshop.com has been discontinued.

• 39. Re: Can't capture in v.11
                                                                                      Rodney1947 Level 1

That was it!  Thanks!  They really hid it good in this version.

1 2 Previous Next