3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2014 1:39 PM by Dov Isaacs

Missing InDesign Font Library After New Illustrator Install

ktandra

All but one of my fonts in InDesign are missing. They were a mix of freely downloaded fonts and ones acquired through the typekit. These fonts went missing from InDesign after I purchased, downloaded, and used a new copy of Illustrator. Why are my fonts missing from InDesign and how can I get them back?

• 1. Re: Missing InDesign Font Library After New Illustrator Install
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

As part of the installation process, Adobe applications never delete any fonts already installed. And fonts that are installed on your system (not application private fonts in the application's own directory) are not deleted during an uninstall of any Adobe product. How the fonts went missing is unrelated to installing Illustrator. Perhaps you were doing some other system maintenance at the time?

Hopefully, you have complete and recent system backups from which to restore the font files!

- Dov

• 2. Re: Missing InDesign Font Library After New Illustrator Install
            ktandra Level 1

Hi Dov,

Thank you for your reply. I initially assumed that Adobe didn't do anything to the fonts during an install, which is why I thought it was strange that they are no longer there. Unfortunately, I was not doing any other system maintenance at this time to possibly explain why I no longer have a font library.

Moving forward, what can I do to make sure that all of my typekit (and independent) fonts are active in my Adobe applications? Is there a setting or import function I should use to enable them again?

Thank you kindly,

Katie

• 3. Re: Missing InDesign Font Library After New Illustrator Install
              Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

In terms of the TypeKit fonts, all you need to do is make sure the TypeKit synchronization option is turned on in the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application. These fonts are not stored in the same manner as other fonts that you install yourself. You can't find them by searching your system.

In terms of other fonts that you have installed, assuming that they are visible in your system's font directory, whether on Windows or MacOS, they should be visible in Adobe applications such as InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop. Make sure you look in the full list. These applications group fonts by criteria such as Western Latin versus other languages versus symbol / dingbat fonts. Thus, a Hebrew font would appear in a separate group from Helvetica, for example. Likewise, Wingdings would likely appear in a separate group.

There are times (not the font) where Adobe applications do lose synchronization with installed fonts. The method of fixing this, should it occur (you see the font is installed, but the Adobe applications don't see it) is to exit Adobe applications and then search your system and delete all files with a name of the form AdobeFnt##.lst where ## is a 2 digit number. Restart the applications and the fonts should be visible.

- Dov