7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2015 3:28 AM by jans65373849

frischluft artifacts

Papa Howie

I've recently been working on an animation and want to add some depth of field. Seeing how long it takes to render DOF in VRay I tried the much hyped frischluft plugin and its producing some terrible results. I have rendered a depth map at twice the size of the animation in the hope I could get cleaner edges but its created a different issue instead. It doesn't focus on any part of the depth map and leves sharp lines in some seemingly random places. Has anyone else had similar issues and knows of a work around? I've posted an image of the result I'm getting and the depth map which is being used to create the effect. Thanks in advance for the help.

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 20.47.18.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-02 at 20.47.25.png

• 1. Re: frischluft artifacts
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What happens if you place your depth map in a precomp that is the exact same size as your main comp and use that precomp for your depth map in the plugin?

• 2. Re: frischluft artifacts
            Papa Howie Level 1

Hi Szalam. I just tried that and it seems to revert back to the jagged edge issue. Any other ideas?

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 11.41.27.png

• 3. Re: frischluft artifacts
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

There's no point in doubling the map size and in fact your first picture looks like an alignment issue of sorts, possibly because of this. The rest is unclear. It's not particularly useful to provide "pixel moosh" by ways of tiny cropped parts of the actual images instead of the full frames and then al lthe same we do not know anything about your Frishluft settings or the VRay render settings. Could well be that you already introduce some weird Gamma issue there.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: frischluft artifacts
                Papa Howie Level 1

Any ideas what kind of gamma issues they could be? I'm rendering 16 bit images and using 32 bit in after effects, maybe something to do with that. If there are any settings you want to look at specifically let me know and I can show you.

• 5. Re: frischluft artifacts
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Check your footage interpretation if you use 32bit. Depth passes should/ must be linear. Also Lenscare's algorithms don't benefit from 32bit, so switching back to 16bpc might already avoid the issue.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: frischluft artifacts
                    Papa Howie Level 1

I don't usually work in after effects so I could easily be missing something here. Any chance you could have a quick look at the file, I'm really struggling to get my head around why this isn't working. Any help would be much appreciated. You can download the file at: Dropbox - AE

• 7. Re: frischluft artifacts
                      jans65373849

I have basically same problem. Frishluft isn't great about the edges. The biggest issue for frishluft are edges were is jump from white to black (infinite background), I know it's annoying, but you should try to have at lease some kind of gray color and not direct black behind the objects in depth pass. What I do is, I render Depth Pass in double size than original, without Anti-Aliasing and trying to put some plane or anything to avoid sharp transition from black to white... but still it isn't perfects.. really hope that there is some better way unless render it with DOF.