5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2014 8:21 PM by Szalam

RAM Preview Error

HenryHillVFX

Hi guys,

I recently discovered a new After Effects 'pain-in-the-***' point, which I cannot seem to solve.

Sometimes (and lately every time!) when I make a long RAM preview (1.5 minute, quarter res), After Effects freaks out.

Most of the time does the RAM preview play, but the green bar (rendered frame bar) turns black. Once I click once or hit a button, this happens, see picture.

There is a message from After Effects, but as you can see in the picture, you can't read what's on it. I need to do a forced shutdown to close After Effects, because it won't response otherwise.

Error-after-effects.png

If anybody knows anything about this, please let me know!

Some specs:

Windows 8.2 (latest)

18 GB RAM

i7-920 2.67Ghz processor

GTX 770 2GB video card

After Effects CC 14 (latest)

• 1. Re: RAM Preview Error
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does it do this in a brand new project with only solids in it?

If not, what is in the projects where it is doing it? What format and codec is the footage? What other assets are in it? What effects are being used? What plugins?

18 GB of RAM? That's weird. How do you have 18 GB of RAM? What configuration of sticks is that?

• 2. Re: RAM Preview Error
            HenryHillVFX Level 1

Hi Szalam,

Thanks for your quick reply!

I don't get the error when I just have solids in a project for 2 minutes.

The projects, or projects where it ocurred were both projects with Canon 60D (DSLR) footage in it. I wouldn't say it;s a very hard codec.

I did a montage (I know, After Effects is not for montage, but I suck at Premiere) with the 60D footage, with music in the background and an precomposed VFX intro.

The intro uses some 3D layers, 3D light, color key and the stroke effect.

Yeah I know 18GB is weird, had 3 x 2GB and then I added 3 x 4GB.

• 3. Re: RAM Preview Error

HenryHillVFX wrote:

Yeah I know 18GB is weird, had 3 x 2GB and then I added 3 x 4GB.

Your poor computer. This is violating almost every bit of advice for installing RAM in a machine. Mixing RAM sizes, odd numbers of sticks...what are you trying to do to that poor, innocent machine?!?

HenryHillVFX wrote:

I don't get the error when I just have solids in a project for 2 minutes.

Ah, well, that means there's something in your comp that is messing your machine up.

HenryHillVFX wrote:

The projects, or projects where it ocurred were both projects with Canon 60D (DSLR) footage in it. I wouldn't say it;s a very hard codec.

And if you did say that, you would be wrong. The h.264 codec requires a lot of system resources to decode (compared to, say, a QuickTime with the PNG codec). Try transcoding your footage witn the Adobe Media Encoder into an intermediate codec (such as the one previously described) and replacing the footage in AE with the new files and see if the problem goes away.

HenryHillVFX wrote:

I did a montage (I know, After Effects is not for montage, but I suck at Premiere) with the 60D footage, with music in the background and an precomposed VFX intro.

Two things:

1. Learn Premiere; it is much better for what you're describing. You will get things done in much less time and with much less effort.

2. Try pre-rendering the VFX intro

• 4. Re: RAM Preview Error
                HenryHillVFX Level 1

Thanks again for your answer.

Okay, I'm probably wrong about 'easy codec', but I still think it's weird that AE freaks out over it with the black bars.

Converting right no would be a lot of extra work for this project (just a little paid job), but I will start with it on my next one.

The ram was installed by my local computer store, thought they knew what they were doing.

Anyway, my machine gets a pro upgrade soon.

I mean, my videocard is pretty damn good, but my motherboard and processor are old.

Guess I will upgrade to the new i7 5960X (8-core) and a matching motherboard, I guess new RAM is no biggie to add to the list.

Thanks for the help!

• 5. Re: RAM Preview Error

Just for the record, long RAM previews are not the normal way to work in AE. I usually only preview a few seconds at a time. Of course, I'm used to working back in the day when we had to use wireframe previews! It's understandable that you're doing it since you're basically using AE like a video editor, but try not to.