5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2014 9:36 AM by A.T. Romano

can't see MTS files using mac os 10.9.5 and adobe premiere elements 12

annejennifer

I am using a MacBook Pro and OS is 10.9.5. Adobe premiere elements 12 does not recognize MTS files from my SD card. The OS does not see MTS files from the card as well...but...I have an MTS file on my desktop from before I upgraded from 10.6.8 that can be seen by both Adobe and the new OS.

HELP

• 1. Re: can't see MTS files using mac os 10.9.5 and adobe premiere elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

annejennifer

What are you using as your Add Media/ for the import of your .mts on the SD?

Not sure if the following is a viable question, but....

What happens if you transfer the .mts on the SD card to your computer desktop and then try to

import the .mts into Premiere Elements 12 with its Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets?

But on reflection, if your OS and Premiere Elements are both not seeing the file, this does not

present as a Premiere Elements issue, rather an issue between the .mts format and your Mac computer.

If that is a valid observation, have you gotten any input on this from Apple?

Have you looked into converting these .mts files into H.264.mov or .mp4 before use?

ATR

Add On....could you give us more information about the .mts file that you said that you have on your new

computer desktop and is being recognized by the OS and Premiere Elements 12?

• 2. Re: can't see MTS files using mac os 10.9.5 and adobe premiere elements 12
            annejennifer Level 1

The OS does not see the files on the SD card so I can't transfer the files cause I can't see them!!!!! Although I had one .MTS file on my desktop from before I upgraded that I can still see and read??

• 3. Re: can't see MTS files using mac os 10.9.5 and adobe premiere elements 12
              A.T. Romano Level 7

annejennifer

This is what I had in mind, better worded, "Can you transfer the .mts files from the camera to the computer with a USB connection bypassing the SD card?"

Then are the .mts files still not recognized by the computer?

Also

Add On....could you give us more information about the .mts file that you said that you have on your new

computer desktop and is being recognized by the OS and Premiere Elements 12?

I will follow up in the morning.

ATR

• 4. Re: can't see MTS files using mac os 10.9.5 and adobe premiere elements 12
                annejennifer Level 1

I don't have the cable that connects the camcorder to the computer. But I contacted Apple Support and they said that the files were hidden. So when I went through the Mac finder, all I had to do was navigate to the folder on the SD card where they were supposed to be and scroll down with the keyboard arrows and there they were. But they could only be opened with quicktime!!! So....

We opened Adobe and tried all the options for importing media and found that we had to use: import media then select "DVD camera or Computer Drive"  and then choose the source  as the SD card and there they were!

Thank you for your time and effort,

Anne

• 5. Re: can't see MTS files using mac os 10.9.5 and adobe premiere elements 12
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Anne

Great news.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user who tries to find common ground on the Premiere Elements Mac Premiere Elements Windows questions.

You and Apple Support did a great job identifying the core of the issue in the Mac settings.

Also, since all is well, can I assume that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements?

Best wishes

ATR