5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2014 12:41 AM by CatSulzmann

import png sequence and scrub through

CatSulzmann Level 1

Hi all,

Can edge animate do something like this?

Click on the 3D model and it will spin with mouse control

http://visualscience.ru/en/projects/hiv/3d-model/

So its a collection of images that when played, represent a spinning 3D object. Scrub right and the timeline plays, scrub left and the time line rewinds - and it will scrub in either direction forever.

I have done something like this in flash, but wondered if edge can do this too?

Thank you

• 2. Re: import png sequence and scrub through
          CatSulzmann Level 1

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried that method, which works fine but I have 100 images per 3d object and 15 3d objects to put into my little program, so I'm not relishing the thought of individually adding opacity to each image. however I will if that is the only way.

I also heard of a FW plugin that could import the png images as a sequence but heard it was too buggy.

I have also tried sprite sheets but it doesn't take large numbers of images easily.

My second query in all this is the mouse movement - I have found e.page x with jQuery that can allow for some mouse control, but it's just mouse move rather than click and drag-  so I'm still investigating this. Also it applies to the whole stage rather than just the images in question.

Still quite stuck

I love all the interactivity that edge offers and I'm sure it must be possible or there is a tutorial out there- but haven't found the perfect one yet

Any more help would be greatly appreciated

• 3. Re: import png sequence and scrub through
            Carmdq Level 1

Look for creating sprite sheet animations in Google. That could be a way. Apparently it can be done through Fireworks too How do I import an image sequence into Edge?

• 4. Re: import png sequence and scrub through
              Siva. Level 3

You could easily achieve this 3D rotation effect using Sprite Sheets.

The best way to create sprite sheets for Edge Animate is Adobe Flash CC 2014.

Since you have 100+ images, you need multiple sprite sheets each having a max dimention of 1K x 1K pixels. (For making it mobile friendly)

Each sprite sheet needs to be imported as a separate symbol in Animate. These symbols needs to be instantiated one after another in the stage.

How import a PNG sequence as a symbol in Animate

Using Flash,  create a symbol out of your PNG sequence -> Refer this

Using Flash, export the symbol as a sprite sheet -> Refer this

Using Animate , import the sprite sheet  ( created by flash) as a symbol -> Refer this

• 5. Re: import png sequence and scrub through
                CatSulzmann Level 1

Thank you Siva- that sounds perfect!

I'll try it straight away.

I expect the e.pageX jquery code will work great for the scrubbing fowards and reverse.

Thanks again