19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2014 9:56 AM by cc_merchant

PC Build Help

Returned

Hi, I'm building my first PC for Adobe Creative Cloud. Will mainly be using After Effects and Premiere Pro CC. Is it worth getting DD4 Ram? Any critiques of the specs would be appreciated.

:----|:----|:----
      **CPU** | [Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i74790k) | £249.95 @ Aria PC
      **CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2) | £24.54 @ CCL Computers
      **Motherboard** | [MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97g45gaming) | £86.36 @ Scan.co.uk
      **Memory** | [Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmy16gx3m2a2400c11r) | £135.79 @ Scan.co.uk
      **Storage** | [Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-internal-hard-drive-ct256mx100ssd1) | £74.39 @ Aria PC
      **Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st3000dm001) | £71.94 @ Aria PC
      **Video Card** | [EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp41972kr) | £287.96 @ Scan.co.uk
      **Case** | [Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-rc430kwn1) | £40.00 @ More Computers
      **Power Supply** | [Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cs450m) | £48.54 @ CCL Computers
      **Optical Drive** | [LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/lg-optical-drive-uh12ns30) | £39.59 @ Aria PC
      **Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-wn700615) | £69.23 @ Aria PC
      **Wireless Network Adapter** | [TP-Link TL-WN781ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/tp-link-wireless-network-card-tlwn781nd) | £7.83 @ Ebuyer
      **Case Fan** | [Cooler Master JetFlo 95.0 CFM 120mm  Fan](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-fan-r4jfdp20pbr1) | £9.08 @ CCL Computers
      **Case Fan** | [Cooler Master JetFlo 95.0 CFM 120mm  Fan](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-fan-r4jfdp20pbr1) | £9.08 @ CCL Computers
      **Other**| Black Metal 2.5" to 3.5" SSD Mounting Adapter Bracket Hard Drive Holder| £1.81
      | | **Total**
      | Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | £1165.17
      | Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-03 14:18 BST+0100 |

• 1. Re: PC Build Help
          cc_merchant Level 4

Underpowered PSU. Go for 650+ W. Case is too small. Get more disks.

If you can afford it, get more memory.

The GTX 970 is overkill on this machine.

• 2. Re: PC Build Help
            TimvandenOever Level 1

Not sure what you mean by DD4 ram, if you mean ddr4 than the clear answer is no. Unless you are getting a new x99 system with one of the haswell e processors you are stuck using good old ddr3 ram. This isn't even so much a matter of better performance, but they simply won't fit on motherboards with older chipsets. If you're confused about the speeds, 2400 Mhz is nice but 1600 Mhz is perfectly adequate. In fact it's almost strange how perfect the 1600 Mhz is for systems these days. In theory the 2400 sticks will be 50% faster but the result on your system might only help you gain between 0-2% depending on the applications.

As cc_merchant mentioned you're going to need a better powersupply. For the listed parts you could probably be fine with a good brand (oem) 550 W powersupply. It will limit you a bit if you consider upgrading in the future, and the price difference between 550 and 650 W probably won't be very large.

I'm not sure about the 212 evo, it's probably a fairly good cpu cooler but I'm building a similar pc myself soon and I'd personally recommend you looking at the Cooler Master 412S, Thermalright Macho or Scythe Mugen. These three are all great coolers and again only slightly more expensive than what you're looking at (and more quiet)!

Your case I'm not going to check for the dimensions and what not, I assume it's big enough for your needs? If you're willing to sacrifice on that part it would be okay to get a cheap case and Cooler Master is an excellent brand (their European branch is actually vested in my town lol). Maybe you should give a look at the Cooler Master CM 690 III which is a lauded case from the same brand. It's seen numerous awards from lots of online review sites and for what it offers it's one of the cheapest cases out there.

Do you have any older hard drives you plan to reuse? At a minimum you probably want to have at least one ssd for OS/software and two hdd's, there's more info you can find about that around these forums.

Edit. I wrote a few things that would all raise the price a bit if you were to opt for those suggestions, so if you're on a strict budget I suggest you replace the GTX 970 for a 760 for a more balanced system.

ps. It might be possible that the Seagate Barracuda drive you selected has a bad life expectancy as you can read here but I personally think their 'research' isn't very good research and I'd personally be totally cool about buying more Seagate drives in the future. I personally have a 2 TB Seagate Barracuda in one of my computers and it's worked without any issues for me but I figured might as well throw this out there for you.

• 3. Re: PC Build Help
              Returned Level 1

Thanks so much for your input -- much appreciated. 

I have a few fundamental questions. I should start by pointing out that I am using the following for reference: http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page/87-what-pc-to-use/98-what-pc-to-use

The lower-spec 'Warrior' set up is what I find most appropriate to my budget. The recommended CPU is the Intel Core i7 4930K, an Ivy Bridge six core processor. Prior to reading that article, I was interested in the i7-4790K, a Haswell Refresh four-core processor for £200 less.

I have no idea if dishing out the extra £200 for the 4930K would be worthwhile, especially given that it is an Ivy Bridge and benchmark comparisons indicate there is little difference between the two processors in terms of overall performance:
              http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4930K-vs-Intel-4790K
              My second confusion is regarding RAID. Do I need a special PCI-E card to run a RAID set-up and will buying 5 HDDs really speed-up video editing?
              I will primarily be using After Effects and Premier Pro.

Please help. I have done extensive research and these two confusions remain.
              • 4. Re: PC Build Help
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think general purpose benchmarks are of little value for Premiere Pro conclusions.  Consider this on two of my systems.

Here are the results of our PPBM6-DE export on the CPU only-centric MPEG2-DVD timeline.  And remember the i7-980X is a much older generation. 

Quad Core i7-4770K @ 4.2 GHz  635 seconds

Hex Core   i7-980X   @ 4.2 GHz  540 seconds

For AE you really need much more memory.

Instead of RAIDing drives consider using one 128 GB SSD for your OS/Applications and possibly one other for immediate projects and hard drives for archiving

• 5. Re: PC Build Help
                  Returned Level 1

Bill Gehrke TimvandenOever  cc_merchant

Thanks so much for your advice thus far. My main area of concern is still the CPU. It seems quite pricey for such an old CPU. Considering I want to work with Premiere and After Effects -- could someone recommend a good value CPU that would be a good balance with the rest of the system? Is this CPU really going to be worth £200 (plus expenses for mobo etc) more than the i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  (£412.80 @ Aria PC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£24.19 @ CCL Computers)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard  (£166.55 @ Scan.co.uk)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£242.38 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£114.67 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£71.94 @ Aria PC)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (£189.98 @ Amazon UK)

Power Supply: Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£108.44 @ Amazon UK)

• 6. Re: PC Build Help
                    TimvandenOever Level 1

You could look at the new X99 platform, the 5820k offers 6 cores for cheap at the 'disadvantage' of only 28 lanes. That is still enough for a single gpu at 16x, a raid controller on 8x and perhaps an additional ssd on 4x lanes. I have no reason to dabble with dual gpu setups so for me it looks like a solid bftb choice. The real problem with it so far is that there's not that much supporting hardware out yet and the price of a suitable motherboard and ddr4 ram will ramp up your costs (admittedly the 4930k would do similar things to your budget).

• 7. Re: PC Build Help
                      RobertoBlake Level 2

I wouldn't get the DDR4 Ram just yet, DDR3 will scale just fine for a few years yet. By the time you need that we will be at 5.0GHz processor as a standard.es an

This is the build I'm working on and recommending because it is affordable and scales and you could always water it down and build  up to easily:

Ultimate Photoshop CC Computer Components $2800

• CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz) $339
                      • Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme9 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard – $353
                      • RAM: 64GB kit  4X G.Skill AEGIS 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $155 each $620
                      • HDD: 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F1 DT 1TB 3.5″ 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive – $69 each $138 total
                      • SSD: 4 x Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5″ Solid State Drive – $115 each $460 total
                      • Graphics card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card – $450
                      • Optical drive 1: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer – $80
                      • Power supply unit: Cooler Master i700 700W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply – $79
                      • Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case- $75
                      • Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit – $130

You could bring this build down in cost and upgrade later by holding back on some of the SSDs, cutting the ram in half and getting a cheaper video card. If you do that it would come out to around $1900 for a Semi Ultimate Photoshop CC Computer. Once again, if you have an old school Mac Pro Tower or G5 Pro Tower like me you can actually upgrade it to become the Ultimate Photoshop Mac Computer using many of these components as long as it has an Intel Processor, but I will cover those details in a future post.

http://robertoblake.com/blog/2014/11/building-ultimate-photoshop-cc-computer-pc-version/

• 8. Re: PC Build Help
                        RobertoBlake Level 2

After Effects is a memory beast, especially when it comes to renders, so the more memory the better. For serious video editing on a desktop 16GB is the minimum you could in theory live with 8GB but you really don't want to if your time is precious. 32GB is for when you're serious in my opinion and 64GB is when you are making real money at it.

• 9. Re: Re: PC Build Help
                          cc_merchant Level 4

What an utter disaster.

The CPU does not fit on this motherboard. They are not compatible. The rest is not too good either, but since this will never work it is no use to make further comments.

• 10. Re: Re: PC Build Help
                            RobertoBlake Level 2

Were you referring to Original Poster or to me? My build's motherboard is compatible according to PC Parts Picker with a Bios update:
                            Intel Core i7-4820K, Asus GeForce GTX 780, Cooler Master Storm Enforcer - Roberto Blake Ultmate Photoshop CC Computer Bu…

• 11. Re: PC Build Help
                              cc_merchant Level 4

To this:

Ultimate NOT WORKING Photoshop CC Computer Components $2800

• CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz) $339
                              • Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme9 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard – $353
                              • RAM: 64GB kit  4X G.Skill AEGIS 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $155 each $620
                              • HDD: 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F1 DT 1TB 3.5″ 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive – $69 each $138 total
                              • SSD: 4 x Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5″ Solid State Drive – $115 each $460 total
                              • Graphics card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card – $450
                              • Optical drive 1: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer – $80
                              • Power supply unit: Cooler Master i700 700W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply – $79
                              • Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case- $75
                              • Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit – $130
                              • 12. Re: PC Build Help
                                RobertoBlake Level 2

Firstly that is plenty RUDE and uncalled for. And secondly where are you getting your information since I cited a credible source for mine and you have not done so?
                                PCPartsPicker is fairly accurate about these things and unlike most Gear Heads I buy Mboards last.  So where are you getting this NON working assertion from, where are you citing that, and what would you recommend as an alternative board? And can you respond without being sarcastic as the point of the forum is to be helpful rather than rude or act superior? That would be great...

• 13. Re: PC Build Help
                                  cc_merchant Level 4

i7-4790K is a 1150 socket.

X79 has a 2011 socket.

They are COMPLETELY INCOMPATIBLE.

Start here: Tweakers Page - What kind of PC to use?

• 14. Re: PC Build Help
                                    TimvandenOever Level 1

He is right though, those parts aren't compatible. Actually I am not 100% sure about this, but I do believe you can only use 32 gb of ram with the i7 4790k. At least according to the Intel Ark...

He may be rude but your parts list is a bit of a mess. I can't even buy the 840 pros anymore here. Two 1 tb mechanical drives? If you're still intending to use a few hdds that's fine but why so small? Four times 2 times 8 gb ram kits, not properly matched kits and just, 8 slots, you won't find those on the z97 motherboards you should be using with that processor.

• 15. Re: PC Build Help
                                      RobertoBlake Level 2

I see the issue, it was because of a TYPO, for which I apologize and will update! The build itself on the site I used to configure it is the i74820K WHICH IS COMPATIBLE WITH THAT MOTHERBOARD. This was just a clerical error on my part.
                                      Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor Compatible Motherboards - PCPartPicker

• 16. Re: PC Build Help
                                        TimvandenOever Level 1

... Which I'm sorry to tell you would be a worse performer than the 4790k mentioned before. I'm not sure if you know as much about computer hardware as you think you might. I suggest reading some more tech sites. I'm going to unsubscribe from this topic as I don't have the time, but please consider no advice might be better than BAD advice.

• 17. Re: PC Build Help
                                          cc_merchant Level 4

Tim, you are correct. All 1150 platforms are limited to 4 DIMM slots, so the maximum installed memory is 32 GB.

However, X79 platforms can have up to 8 DIMM slots, allowing up to 64 GB memory, but only with 2011 socket CPU's. Unmatched kits always can be troublesome, and the use of outdated SSD's and HDD's may not be the wisest choice. Add to that an underpowered bronze CPU, a mid-size case, an outdated OS and an overkill video card, then yes, I agree with your statement that the parts list is bit of a mess.

• 18. Re: PC Build Help
                                            TimvandenOever Level 1

I'm sure you mean bronze psu, but yeah. I have a nice 2011-3 system myself now, and the difference between ddr3 and 4 may be slim to none for now, but at least this really will be good for future upgrades in the next couple of years... and to get a 780 right now out of all cards is a bit off too. Maybe someone hasn't heard of the 970?

ps. The 840 pro might be 2 months 'outdated' but is surely still a top choice if you can land them cheap somewhere, even if the new 850s are undeniably king of the pack right now.

• 19. Re: PC Build Help
                                              cc_merchant Level 4

Yeah, I meant PSU. Typo on my side.

Agreed the 840's are not really outdated and one may encounter some nice deals to make them very attractive, but the Samsung Spinpoint F1's are really old. At their introduction they were great, but that is a very long time ago, at least 5 years and it shows in their performance, compared to modern HDD's.