12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2014 2:12 PM by A.T. Romano

export quality

Dahuze

In Elements 12 or 13, when exporting a video, I am experiencing a slight loss of quality: it looks as if there was a transparency coefficient (roughly 90%) applied to the original movie.

This happens even if I import the video and export immediately, without doing any editing. (My input file is a MOV file 1920x1080i 25, and the export file is MP4 with same definition). This seems to be specific to Elements because it does not do it with  other video editors such as Studio 14.

Does anybody have a clue, like adjusting some kind of parameter ?

• 1. Re: export quality
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dahuze

On what computer operating system are all these programs running? And, what do you mean by transparency coefficient? How is this transparency coefficient related matter manifesting itself in the playback of your export? What is your player?

Let us focus on one particular program and one particular video, let us start with Premiere Elements 12/12.1. Can we assume that you have the latest

version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and that your video card/graphics card is up to date according to the web site of manufacturer of the card?

What is the brand/model/settings for the camera that is recording this 1920 x 1080i25 .mov file? What is the bitrate of your starting file?

What are you (manually) or the program (automatically) setting as the project preset for this project. See verification under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Menu, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio even if the fields look grayed out. From what you described, the project preset should be

PAL

AVCHD

Full HD1080i25

Let us go with the no edit situation and next cut to export, Publish+Share where you say that your export is .mp4. What are your full choices that you make here to produce your export.:

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = ?

The likely possibilities start with MP4 H264 1920 x 1080p25. Have you looked at a M2T export there, for example, M2T H264 1920 x 1080i25?

If so, does this export have the same shortcomings as the MP4? In the exports that you have done from Premiere Elements, do you go with the

default settings for the preset that you select or do you customize the export settings of the preset under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the

preset selected?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: export quality
            Dahuze Level 1

My computer OS is Windows 7 64 and I am using Adobe Premiere 12.

The imported MOV file comes from Canon EOS 70D.

Choices for exporting: Publish+share, Computer , AVCHD, MP4-H264 1920 x 1080p 25. But I get the same loss of quality with any other exports like M2T H264 x 1080i25.

The quality of the import file, as seen in the project window of Premiere 12 is fine. But the colors of the export file have lost some vibrance compared to the original MOV file.

This loss of vibrance happens with the video readers I am using: Media Player, VLC. For your information, if I do the same export/import operation on another video editor such as Studio 14, this loss of vibrance does not happen.

Any suggestion ?

• 3. Re: export quality
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Dahuze

Thank you for the details. Very helpful.

First, if your source media are 1080p, then please use, in your case, the project preset

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p25

set either my you manually or by the project automatically.

I have seen this type of report in other instances with or without Premiere Elements involved. The answer is in the color management of the export that you might

find in the more expensive video editors.

I have found some 1080p footage samples from the Canon 70D. This is what I would like you to explore.

Highlight/select your video on the Timeline.

Go to Adjust Tab/Adjustment Palette/Gamma Correction Panel expanded and adjust upward the Gamma setting (using thumbnails or, under More, slider). The slider default appears to be 10.

If necessary, in addition make minor adjustment under the Lighting Panel expanded (thumbnails or More, sliders).

Then export your 1080p, using Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H264 1920 x 1080p25.

Please let us know the results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: export quality
                Dahuze Level 1

My input source media is 1920x1080 25fps, compression "ALL-I", which means, according to CANON,  compression image by image. Is it the same as 1080p or is it equivalent to 1080i ?

Following your instructions, I increased the Gamma setting first at 15 then 20. It seems to make the colors more vivid, but there is an increasing loss of information in the shades and the dark parts of the video.

I also tried to increase the vibrance in the color settings. There is a definite improvement and the result not far from the original. (NB: when I use MTS files as input, I have no loss of quality at all in the export files) 

I have a subsidiary question: why, for most settings in the Publish and Share section, are there two files registered : one with the video and another one ?

Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: export quality
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Dahuze

Thanks for the reply.

I did note that your Canon camera records H.264 intra frame, but did not bring that up since I was seeing a color management problem. The

connection between H.264 intra frame and color management was not clear to me at this point.

We were glad to learn that thee choices on Adjust Tab (Color Panel/Vibrance) made a definite improvement in the export color quality.

Could you be more specific about the two files that you are referring to in the Publish+Share Section?  Does the second file have a file extension of

.xmp? Those are informational files that accompany some formats. Where are you seeing them?

As for

Is it the same as 1080p or is it equivalent to 1080i ?

I believe that Premiere Elements H.264 is interframe, not intraframe. I will double check to make sure on that for exceptions.

ATR

• 6. Re: export quality
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Dahuze

Add On..might be of interest....

Quick Tip: Inter-frame vs Intra-frame

ATR

• 7. Re: export quality
                      Dahuze Level 1

ATR,

The two files generated by one export are:" name.m2t" and  "name.m2t.xmpses".

To come back to the improvement by adjusting the vibrance, it is not a satisfactory solution because it has several drawbacks:

1) the adjustment must be done with my MOV files only, but not with my other MTS files (coming from a Canon movie camera) which do not need any adjustment when exporting.

2) It is a trial and error process because the end result on the export video is different from what one can see on the editing screen in Premiere Elements.

3) It is very time consuming.

What do you think ?

DB

• 8. Re: export quality
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Dahuze

You write at the onset

My input file is a MOV file 1920x1080i 25, and the export file is MP4 with same definition

And later you write

The two files generated by one export are:" name.m2t" and  "name.m2t.xmpses".

A m2t.xmpses file (intruction file) is typically generated along with the video export with the .m2t file extension. The .m2t.xmpses is discarded.

I do not understand

1) the adjustment must be done with my MOV files only, but not with my other MTS files (coming from a Canon movie camera) which do not need any adjustment when exporting.

I think that I am missing your point here since Adjust works off one clip at a time. The Adjust is an editing ploy to achieve the color enhanced footage for encoding. Color correction is part of the editing process.

2) It is a trial and error process because the end result on the export video is different from what one can see on the editing screen in Premiere Elements.

You should be able to establish by previewing of rendered content in the edit area what the outcome will be in the the final product. Are you not finding that to be so?

And, I would assume that once you had established a good set for vibrance, you could apply that to the rest.

3) It is very time consuming.

It should not be all that time consuming, but, if it is, then you need to use a program that is compatible with your computer and meets your video editing/exporting goals.

I would need to so homework on the H.264 intra frame compression that your camera is using and its history with other video editors. I do not have any hard data linking it to color fade of the video imported into any particular program. With the few samples I had of the Canon 70D that I took into Premiere Elements, any color fade was easily adjusted in Adjust and seen in the Edit and reflected in export. You mention a program named Studio 14 which you believe suits your Canon 70D editing/exporting needs better than other programs. What are that product's marketing claims?

I will look at this some more.

ATR

• 9. Re: export quality
                          Dahuze Level 1

ATR,

Sorry I was a little confusing in my explanations.

I was talking about the following process: import a MOV clip, put it on the time line and export it immediately without any adjustment whatsoever. The colors of the video in the editing area of Elements Premiere are fine and correspond to the colors of the original clip (when played with Windows media Player or VLC for instance). No problem so far. But when I then export this clip (MP4, MP2 or any other format), then the colors of the exported file appear faded when played on WMP or VLC. Now, whatever adjustments I make before exporting, the colors of the exported files will always be more faded that in the editing area before export. That is why I was talking about a trial and error process which is time consuming.

If I repeat the process with an MTS file instead of a MOV file, then the colors are faithful all along the process. No problem with MTS files!

So could not the problem come from the compression of the MOV files ?

Concerning the other issue of the generated .m2t.xmpses file during export, should I understand it is normal and that I should discard it manually ?

Thanks for your help.

DB

• 10. Re: export quality
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Dahuze

Thanks for the reply with additional details.

From all that I have read and seen in Premiere Elements, the .m2t.xmpses companion file to the .m2t video file is normal and the .m2t.xmpses can be

discarded for all intents and purposes. I have yet to determine or find a situation where its presence is needed after it is generated as the companion (instruction file)

for the m2t video in this case.

In the few Canon 70D samples videos that I found online and tested in Premiere Elements, the exports were not as vibrant as the originals. But, initial studies suggested that applying a small amount of Gamma Correction and Lighting corrected that matter. I will do more digging into the matter and try to determine the rest of the story.

More later.

Thanks again for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 11. Re: export quality
                              Dahuze Level 1

ATR

I really appreciated that you did some testing with Canon 70D sample videos and I am reassured  that you observed the same fading of colors as I did.

The point is that I switched from Studio (which does not exist any more) to Premiere Elements to be able to edit  videos from my newly purchased Canon EOS 70D which does superb videos. So you will understand I am disappointed by the export part.

Do you think Adobe can fix this problem and send a software update ? In the meantime, I will use your suggested solution as a short-term expedient.

Looking forward to this new version.

Best regards,

DB

• 12. Re: export quality
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

DB

Thanks for the update.

We are not Adobe here. Just user to user.

Did you purchase Premiere Elements 12 and 13 from Adobe direct. And, are you within 30 days of purchase? If so, I would

contact Adobe via its Adobe Chat to discuss the situation.

Contact Customer Care

Premiere Elements

Membership, account, payment

Payments, invoices, orders

Chat Panel

If the link does not hold its set, you will need to navigate to the Chat Panel using the above titles as guides.

If you purchased from an authorized reseller of the program, then you will have to deal with the authorized reseller for refund or exchanges.

Whatever the case, you could discuss the matter with Adobe via its Adobe Chat.

We have no information on an Adobe fix for this or any updating it plans for version 13. I doubt if it will go back to update the 12.1 Update of

version 12.

We will be watching for further developments. I will take another look at the before and after adjust in a few versions for the 70D video.

Thanks.

ATR