glenna Level 1

Lightroom 5 import problem.

LR 5

Master folder on local drive is GRAPHICS

Original Sub Folders are

PERSONAL

VACATIONS

PROBLEM:

Lightroom says that many photos in the above folders are in the LR catalog, because when I go to import them, as All or New they low light.

However, in Library View they do not show.

ISSUE:

If I rebuild the catalog, I lose my extensive set of collections.

WORKAROUND:

When I created a third folder, under GRAPHICS, called TO IMPORT, LR imports from that folder fine, in place.

I then need to move the files to the correct folder.

Is there any way to get LR to import in place?

I tried synchronizing and selecting destination and moving as DNG.

None of these solutions seemed to work.

Thanks,

Glenn

• 1. Re: lightroom cannot import in place
          Brett N Adobe Employee

It sounds like Lightroom is importing in place, just not from these folders. Since it sounds like it's working just fine from the new folder I would suggest recreating these folders. Create a new folder somewhere else, move all of your images there, delete the original folder, create a new one with the same name, move all your pictures back. Then go to LR and test.

• 2. Re: lightroom cannot import in place
            glenna Level 1

Renaming the folder did not work.

If I move the files outside of the original location,  I can import them in place from the new location and move them back to the folder I want.

This was my original work around.

Renaming the files DID work.

Creating a New Catalog, still did not import the missing folders, with the original file names.

LR original or new catalog did import the folder if I renamed the file.

??? Why I do not know.

• 3. Re: lightroom cannot import in place
              Brett N Adobe Employee

That is still pretty strange. Can you give some examples of the file names that work and those that don't work? Then again, it could be a file permission issue. The files could be essentially invisible to Lightroom because they don't grant even Read access. Renaming the files could be correcting those permissions. I don't know why that would work, but I've seen that type of behavior in the past.

• 4. Re: lightroom cannot import in place
                dj_paige Level 9

glenna wrote:

Lightroom 5 import problem.

LR 5

Master folder on local drive is GRAPHICS

Original Sub Folders are

PERSONAL

VACATIONS

PROBLEM:

Lightroom says that many photos in the above folders are in the LR catalog, because when I go to import them, as All or New they low light.

However, in Library View they do not show.

ISSUE:

If I rebuild the catalog, I lose my extensive set of collections.

WORKAROUND:

When I created a third folder, under GRAPHICS, called TO IMPORT, LR imports from that folder fine, in place.

I then need to move the files to the correct folder.

Is there any way to get LR to import in place?

I tried synchronizing and selecting destination and moving as DNG.

None of these solutions seemed to work.

If Lightroom is telling you that it can't import, and greying out the images in the Import dialog, then the photos have already been imported. It's that simple.

If you are having problems finding the photos in your Library, then perform these steps in sequence

1. Go to the Catalog Panel in the Library Module and click on All Photographs

2. Turn off all filters (ctrl-L on WIndows, Cmd-L on a Mac, once or twice)

3. Expand All Stacks

4. Search for the photos by file name, and you will find them in your Library Module

Your WORKAROUND will cause more problems than it will fix. RE-importing photos is almost never a good idea. Do not re-import.

• 5. Re: lightroom cannot import in place
                  glenna Level 1

Thanks all of you, but a critical factor that remains open is, when I installed LR5 on a different PC and imported the same set of photos from a different hard drive (everyone had admin rights and there were no restrictive file permissions assigned),  I had the same problem.

The  problem with searching for the photos by name, is that I do not know which photos are missing.  There if far too many to go folder by folder to compare.   My directory listing says there are 30,745 files in the LR folders on the hard drive.  LR says I have 23,557 (I did try dj_paige’s  idea, but no numbers changed)

The problem is that LR will NOT import the missing photos into the actual folder in which they are located.

Rather it imports the photos to the LR import folder.

I am missing several thousand photos from 100 folders.

I am  trying to figure out why LR will no longer import photos in \MYSummerVacation to the same location with other photos from that same folder, that are already in the LR Catalog.

Glenn

• 6. Re: lightroom cannot import in place
                    dj_paige Level 9

The problem is that LR will NOT import the missing photos into the actual folder in which they are located.

Rather it imports the photos to the LR import folder.

So, just to make sure I am understanding this properly, you are reporting this happens when the Import dialog has the "Add" option selected?

• 7. Re: lightroom cannot import in place
                      glenna Level 1

That is correct.

In the past I would create a folder on my pc called \graphics\blahblah and put new photos into blahblah (where all the other folders under graphics were in the LR catalog.

LR would import the folder and photos into its catalog, in place.

It no longer does that.

It will import to the LR import folder OR if I create a new folder that is NOT a child under \graphics  (i.e. \temp\toimport) it will import that folder and the photos in place.   

Glenn