11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2015 6:28 AM by A.T. Romano

Adobe Premier Elements 13 Missing VBR 2 Pass

BrentJustice

I recently just got Adobe Premier Elements 13, I've used Elements 11 and 12 prior.

In the past versions I am able to select VBR 2-Pass rendering export for H.264 videos.  Now, however, in this new version I only have the option of CBR or VBR, 1 Pass.

This is under AVCHD of course, selecting MP4, and customizing settings.  I can input the bitrate I want, I can change the profile to High and 5.1, but no matter what I do there are only 2 radio buttons, either CBR or VBR, 1 Pass.  There is no option for 2-pass VBR like there was in Premier Elements 12.  I'd hate to have to downgrade to get VBR2 support.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 13 Missing VBR 2 Pass
          A.T. Romano Level 7

brentjustice

This is not Adobe. Rather user to user.

But, with the release of Premiere Elements 13, people identifying themselves as PRE_help and Adobe Staff have been popping into thread to answer some Premiere Elements 13 questions.

You are quite right about your observation about VBR, 2 Pass not being offered under Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD and presets/Advance Button/Video Tab. But, the screen message associated with what you see is not consistent with what you get.

"The encoding mode to use. Choose Constant Bit Rate (CBR) or Variable Bit Rate (VBR) and the number of encoding passes."

At first I suspected a screen resolution issue, but working off that idea got nowhere.

VBR, 2 Pass seems to have survived in Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG, but not AVCHD or XAVC-S.

More news as it develops.

ATR

• 2. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 13 Missing VBR 2 Pass
            BrentJustice Level 1

Thanks for the confirmation on this issue.

Too bad no official statement or comment from Adobe on this issue.

I want some sort of recognition of this problem, or to know if it will ever be fixed, or if this is how it is intended to be this version, which would be a downgrade in options available from Elements 12.  Which would be very sad.

• 3. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 13 Missing VBR 2 Pass
              A.T. Romano Level 7

BrentJustice

Thanks for the reply.

I do not believe the following will be a quick answer route, but you could consider filing one of those Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Forms.

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

For all intents and purposes, the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum is a user to user forum. However, when a new version of the program is released and at other

undefined times, an Adobe presence is noted in the form of posts from people identifying themselves as Adobe Staff or PRE_help. There have been several

of these appearances since September 24, 2014, release date of version 13 until now. Hopefully one of them will see this VBR, 2 Pass matter and offer some

insights on its apparent disappearance from many of the Advanced export settings. I am still wondering about the 2 options in the save dialog for the customized preset.

Neither seem usable. So, I leave the options unchecked. This latter matter applies to version 12 and 13.

Lots to explore and learn.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 13 Missing VBR 2 Pass
                PRE_help Adobe Employee

Hi,

We acknowledge the missing 2-Pass encoding option as a bug and will look at it the next version.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

• 5. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 13 Missing VBR 2 Pass
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Many thanks for the acknowledgement of the missing VBR 2-pass encoding option in Premiere Elements 13.

But, could you clarify

a. I interpret a bug as a flaw in the workflow that happens to some, but not all, triggered by a particular circumstance.

Are you implying that some who purchase Premiere Elements 13 may or may not have this option rather than no one

having this option?

b. Also, you mention that Adobe will look at it the next version. Is the scope of returning VBR 2, pass to Premiere Elements 13 so board that

it cannot be handled in the next few months with a 13.1 Update rather than "waiting for next year, next version" as it were?

Thank you for whatever insights on this that you are at liberty to post.

ATR

• 6. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 13 Missing VBR 2 Pass
                    PRE_help Adobe Employee

ATR,

This will be missing for every body. Hope you understand if we cannot currently comment/commit about a 13.x or it's contents.

Regards,
                    Premiere Elements Team

• 7. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 13 Missing VBR 2 Pass
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

As always, thank you for the insights on the new Premiere Elements 13.

ATR

• 8. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 13 Missing VBR 2 Pass
                        AnttiP78

> We acknowledge the missing 2-Pass encoding option as a bug and will look at it the next version.

What's the status about 2-pass encoding? 4 months has passed since the last comment and new Premiere Elements 13.1 didn't fix the problem. I feel disappointed that Adobe doesn't take Premiere Elements users seriously. I purchased Premiere Elements for basic video trimming and stabilizing, but even though I expect top-quality from it (with lesser features than Premiere Pro, of course)... Support for only VBR 1-pass isn't acceptable for any commercial software.

• 9. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 13 Missing VBR 2 Pass
                          Mutu Level 1

AnttiP78 wrote:

> We acknowledge the missing 2-Pass encoding option as a bug and will look at it the next version.

What's the status about 2-pass encoding? 4 months has passed since the last comment and new Premiere Elements 13.1 didn't fix the problem. I feel disappointed that Adobe doesn't take Premiere Elements users seriously. I purchased Premiere Elements for basic video trimming and stabilizing, but even though I expect top-quality from it (with lesser features than Premiere Pro, of course)... Support for only VBR 1-pass isn't acceptable for any commercial software.

I agree...Just updated to 13.1 and immediately checked if the VBR 2-pass bug was finally fixed, but no...feel really disappointed now. Fortunately I still have 12.1 installed, but could have used the cost of this useless upgrade (PrEL13 that is) for something more usable. Yes, it's my own fault as I didn't test these new (missing) "features" with a trial version before buying...Well, perhaps next time...

• 10. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 13 Missing VBR 2 Pass
                            kindregards

I echo the disappointment because I did the same checking right after the update hoping that I could resume my work with vbr 2 passes.  Any expected delivery timeline?

• 11. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 13 Missing VBR 2 Pass
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

kindregards

This is not Adobe, rather user to user. I have no insider information when and if Adobe will address the VBR, 2 Pass situation of Premiere Elements 13. I did not see that it did that in its recent 13.1 Update of the program.

You might consider filing one of those Adobe Feature Requests Bug Report Form

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

ATR