1 2 Previous Next 43 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2016 5:12 AM by Steve Grisetti

Premier elements 13 codec issue

bk36

When I try to play a video I get the error, "The selected file cannot be played because your system does not have the required compresser/decompresser(codec) installed."  How can I get it to work?

• 1. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
          bk36 Level 1

Woops, Premiere

• 2. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
            A.T. Romano Level 7

bk36

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running on?

What are the source and properties of this video that you have imported into Premiere Elements 13? Please include the file extension of the video along with your description of the video properties. I find it curious that you can import the video into the project and get that particular message when you go to playback the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor. Consequently, I need for you to verify/confirm your details.

Are you really in the Elements Organizer 13 trying to playback a video that you have imported into the Elements Organizer 13 rather than working with your video in the Premiere Elements Editor?

Do you have QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 13?

Do you have Photoshop Elements 13 on your computer with Premiere Elements 13?

Are you running your computer from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
              A.T. Romano Level 7

bk36

What Woops?

Are you  working with some version of Premiere Pro? If that is the case, please repost your thread in the Adobe Premiere Pro Forum or wait for a

moderator here to see your thread here and move it from here to there.

Premiere Pro CC

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                bk36 Level 1

Ok, to answer your questions ATR:

1.) Windows 7.

2.) Sony Handycam.

3.) .mpg files.

4.) I am trying to play the video from the elements organizer 13.

5.) I have QuickTime installed.

6.) I have pse13 and premiere 13 installed.

7.) I have administrative privileges.

History, I had Premiere Elements 10 and all of the videos played file in both the organizer and editor.  When I upgraded to 13 they stopped working in the organizer.  After reading your post I tried editing one of the videos and it brought me to an encoder activation page.  I did that and now it plays the video without sound.  So, we are half way there.

• 5. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                  bk36 Level 1

I'm just a little embarrassed that I spelled "Premiere" incorrectly in the title of my original question.

• 6. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

bk36

Here is what I would like you to do.

Delete the video from the Elements Organizer 13, but do not delete the video from the computer hard drive save location.

Disable the antivirus and firewall(s).

Open a new Premiere Elements 13 project (Expert workspace), and import the video from its computer hard drive save location into the project. Drag the video

to the project's Timeline. Does the video in the Premiere Elements 13 workspace play back with video and audio? Any more activation messages? If so,

from the Premiere Elements 13 workspace, switch to the Elements Organizer 13 workspace. Do you see a copy of your video

there now? If so, please try to play it with the Elements Organizer 13 player. Video and Audio or just video?

What players do you have on the computer...

latest version of QuickTime

latest version of Windows Media Player

VLC Player

Other

ATR

• 7. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                      bk36 Level 1

I followed the instructions above.  The video/sound played in expert workspace.  The sound still does not play in the elements organizer.

1.) We have the latest Quicktime.

2.) We have the latest Windows Media Player.

3.) I don't have VLC Player installed.

4.) No other media players on the computer.

• 8. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

bl36

Please consider downloading and installing the free codec utility named GSpot.

Run your video through it and let us know what the utility shows for

Audio - Codec - Status

as well as

Video - Codec - Name - Status

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                          bk36 Level 1

When I open the file in GSpot I get the following information:

Video Codec Name: MPEG-2 Status: Codec(s) are Installed

Audio Codec Name: AC3 Status: Codec(s) Installed

• 10. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

bk36

Have you read the following Adobe document...

Elements Organizer Help | View video and full‑screen images

If you read that, you get the impression that you should not be having any problems with Elements Organizer and its playback there of a MPEG2.mpg file.

But, I am confirming your results with my Premiere Elements 13 tryout and its Elements Organizer 13.

I am getting the same Elements Organizer 13 message that you are - Unable to load movie message.

13 Message.JPG

Updating thumbnail and the like maneuvers in 13 Elements Organizer 13 do not resolve the matter. The only saving grace is that the file has no problems (that I have found

so far) in the Premiere Elements 13 Editor.

Even more challenging finding is that if I right click the Elements Organizer 13 thumbnail of this file ("unable to load movie") and select Edit with Premiere Elements Editor, the file opens in Premiere Elements 13 Edit in perfect condition.

Further, I have no problems with Elements Organizer 10 and 11 and this same MPEG2.mpeg (720 x 480) file on this same Windows 7 64 bit computer. And, the file will open for playback in Windows Media Player. So the excuse of a missing codec is not consistent with Elements Organizer 10 and 11 but not 13 not being able to play back that file. This is an Adobe matter at this point.

Some preliminary studies are pointing to the MPEG2 video compression, not the audio sector, of the .mpeg file as the problem for the Elements Organizer 13. And, it does not seem to make a difference if the file is SD or HD MPEG2.mpeg.

More later.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                              bk36 Level 1

Yes, that is very similar to my experience. This wasn't an issue with organizer 10 but it is with 13.  Thanks for looking into this for me.  Do you work for Adobe or do they monitor these forums?  I agree that it appears to be their issue.

• 12. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

bk36

This is not Adobe. Rather user to user. And, as I write, I am just a user of the programs with an overactive troubleshooting gene.

Especially when a new version is released and at other undefined times, replies in posts will appear from IDs identifying themselves as Adobe Staff or PRE_help.

But, the timing of their presence is unpredictable as is who from Adobe is reading the threads in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum.

Besides what appears to be an Elements Organizer 13 MPEG2 issue, there is another case where VBR, 2 pass has disappeared from choices in version 13 export areas where

they were in the prior version. No word from an Adobe presence on that. I have no insider information on Adobe activities.

You could contact Adobe via its Adobe Chat, but let us give the Adobe representatives a chance to step up as they have recently. If they do not, then we can decide what next.

There is an Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Forum, but...

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&loc=en

ATR

• 13. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                  Anwesha Dev Chaudhary Adobe Employee

Hi,

MPEG2 video playback requires Royalty activation from serialized PRE13 if you want to play them in Elements Organizer 13.

Therefore, you would have to buy PRE13 first and get it serialized, then you can play those files in Elements Organizer as well.

Hope this solves your problem.

Thanks,
                                  Anwesha

• 14. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Anwesha Dev Chaudhary

Thank you for your information on MPEG2 and Elements Organizer 13.

Do you feel at liberty to say if you are Adobe Staff, PRE_help team, beta tester of version 13, or just a user of Premiere Elements 13 and its Elements Organizer 13.

Since Sandeep (Adobe Staff) is currently involved in this question in this forum in another thread and we are waiting for a report on this from Sandeep, I ask if you are acting in Sandeep's behalf in posting this information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 15. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue

Hi,

Its just that I have been using/working with video playback in Elements Organizer13  and hence have this knowledge.

No, I am not acting on Sandeep's behalf in posting this information.

Thanks,
                                      Anwesha

• 16. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Anwesha Dev Chaudhary

Thank you for your reply.

I am still working on the Photoshop Elements 13, Premiere Elements 13, Elements Organizer 13 tryouts.

After I purchase Photoshop Elements 13 and Premiere Elements 13, I will explore Elements Organizer 13 video playback for

all the formats to compare results tryout versus purchased program.

I will post again at that time to let you know the results of my work with the purchased version of the program.

Best wishes

ATR

• 17. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                          BGRMJR Level 1

I have the same problem.  No sound in PSE 13 organizer on MTS files.  The work perfectly in premier 13.

They play perfectly with windows media player and in PSE 10 organizer.  

• 18. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

BGRMJR

On what computer operating system are your Photoshop Elements 13 and Premiere Elements 13 running on?

Are you working with tryouts or purchased products in your case?

What players does your computer have - latest version of QuickTime, Windows Media Player 12, VLC Player, other?

What are the properties of this .mts file - Video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio?

What are the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded this video audio?

Do you have the same problem with Elements Organizer 13 whether it is accessed from Photoshop Elements 13 or Premiere Elements 13?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                              BGRMJR Level 1

I have bought PSE and serial number input and the organizer does not play the audio from MTS file. 

• 20. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                                BGRMJR Level 1

Dell 8700 windows 8.1 with nvidia.  Hence the premier 10 issue no video - so I purchased the student version of PSE 13 photo shop and premier.  An adobe representative told me the student version is the same as the full version.

Premier 13 plays the video and audio perfectly.  Photo shop 13 organizer does not play the sound on the HD videos recorded with a Cannon Vixia HFs10.  It is also strange that I still have photoshop elements 10 and the organizer plays the hd videos and audio perfectly.  Windows media player plays them perfectly.  Photoshop elements organizer has the problem with audio whether accessed through photo shop or premier. 

1920 by 1080 29 frames / second.  Audio bit rate is 256kbps 2 (stereo)  Audio sample rate 48kHz

In summary I have pse 13 premier that works properly and pse 10 organizer that works properly.

Neither pse premier 10 nor pse photoshop 13 organizer work properly.  ?

• 21. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

BGRMJR

Premiere Elements 10 and 13 on Window 8.1 64 bit.....

Thanks for the follow up with additional details. I see your dilemma.

Is it possible for you to send a very small sample of the problem HFS10 video/audio in a Dropbox link that you post in this thread?

I would like to take it through my Premiere Elements/Elements Organizer 10 and 13 on Windows to confirm that the issue is generalized rather

than specific to your computer environment. I have been searching the Internet for a sample from the HFS10 that I could download and work with. No luck so far finding one.

Maybe delay on sending the sample just requested.....

I have just looked at an assortment of AVCHD.mts files (from different cameras) in Premiere Elements 10 vs 13. And, with this assortment of files, I fully confirm your observations. At this point, I believe the Elements Organizer 13 support for file playback needs a serious look by Adobe. Hopefully PRE_help will take note of the comments here.

We will be watching for further developments. The explanation of tryout versus purchased product and student and non student version cannot be invoked in this instance. All my studies were on the same computer. So, so much for codec not installed.

More later.

ATR

Add On...I have tried renaming the file extension of the AVCHD.mts files. Did not help. Have to take a closer look at the audio formats used in those files.

• 22. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                                    BGRMJR Level 1

Thanks for your input, My only option is to return adobe products within allowable time frame for refund and go with another option.  -I appreciate adobe giving 30 days to return.  

• 23. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

BGRMJR

When you purchased Premiere Elements 13 from Adobe direct as an online download, you should be able to obtain your "within 30 days of purchase refund" by the following route, going to Adobe via its Chat Panel Orders....Click on the following link

Contact Customer Care

Premiere Elements

Membership, account, payment

Payments, invoices, orders

Chat Panel

As of a few moments ago, the Chat Panel was visible. If the link does not hold the set, then you will need to navigate to the Chat Panel using

the above titles as guides.

If there are instructions for return that came with the purchase, then use those specific instructions instead.

We were hoping that PRE_help and Adobe Staff might comment on the Elements Organizer 13 situation (tryout and purchased) in this forum.

Best wishes on whatever your video editing decision may be.

ATR

Again, this is not Adobe, rather user to user. Adobe has the final say in all things Adobe.

• 24. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                                        moziator

Hi all - first time poster here!

I've tried to follow this chain as best as possible but I can't tell if someone has a resolution or if it is something I need to raise with Adobe.  I just purchased (serialized) Adobe Photoshop and Premiere Elements 13 which obviously include Organizer.  My Organizer version is 13.0 (20140831.m.62014).

I have a Sony HDR-CX330 Handycam that I'm using to record video to a .MTS file in AVCHD format.  The video is 1920x1080 at 59 frames/sec and the audio is 256kbps bit rate, 2 channels (stereo) at 48 kHz sample rate.  I've got Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit.

I'm having the same problem as most of the folks above - Organizer will not play the audio for my MTS files.  The audio plays fine when I want to Edit the files in Premiere Elements.  But Organizer plays no audio but it does play the video.  I can open the .MTS file via Windows Explorer - the files open in Windows Media Player and the audio is fine.

I have no idea what codecs and such I have installed.  I know I have Quicktime...I don't think I have DivX but I have a version of VLC Player (haven't used it in awhile, probably needs to be updated).

Just curious to know if anyone has any updates on this issue.  Thanks!

EDIT: Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on a problem being that I have 64-bit Elements software and Quicktime is only 32-bits....?

• 25. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

moziator

Thanks for the posting your comments and questions.

Although it is tempting to invoke an explanation involving missing codec and 32 vs 64 bit applications, the idea does not hold up when

one has multiple versions of the program on the same computer and one Elements Organizer version works in this regard while another does not.

I have tried an assortment of sample AVCHD.mts with audio (none from your specific camera) in Elements Organizer 13 and have found all to playback with video and audio in the Elements Organizer 13 player.

Would it be possible for you to post (maybe as a dropbox link in your thread reply) a problem sample clip that we might try to play back in our Elements Organizer 13 Windows 7 64 bit set up?

ATR

• 26. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                                            hmshotspur19

First time poster as well.

I have just recently upgraded to Elements 13 on a new laptop almost identical to BGRMJR post of Nov 4, and am having the same problem with almost identical video file.

Did this problem of audio playback in Organizer 13 ever get resolved or acknowledged by Adobe.

Many thanks.

Hotspur.

• 27. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hotspur

What is the specific description of the format of the files that have no sound in Elements Organizer 13? What is the brand/

model/settings of the camera that recorded the video/audio presumed AVCHD.mts file?

What is the computer operating system involved? And, from what you wrote, can be assume that you are

dealing with the purchased rather than the tryout version of Premiere Elements 13/Elements Organizer 13?

I should have the purchased version of Premiere Elements 13 soon. I had been working from the tryout.

But, we need to attract the attention of PRE_help in order to get the Adobe pronouncement on this issue.

Have you attempted to contact Adobe via its Adobe Chat about this matter?

ATR

• 28. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                                                hmshotspur19 Level 1

I am using Windows 8.1 on an ASUS X555l (I5 Pentium) with 8GB Ram.

I am using purchased Adobe Elements 13 Photoshop and Premiere with Organizer.

The source of the video is a Canon Vixia H400 Videocam and the format of the video is in native mode AVCHD video (.mts) with files saved on an external hard drive.

When I put this material in the timeline on Elements 13 Premiere it plays correctly (video and sound) however in Elements 13 Organizer preview mode there is no sound.

Hotspur

• 29. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                                                  markk656

Count me in as having similar issues with Sony NEX-5 videos (AVCHD/m2ts (mts) videos. No audio when played in the organizer.  64 bit PSE13 is installed.

Files play and edit just fine in video editing software (multiple NLEs, but haven't checked Premiere) and play just fine in PSE 11 Organizer. I tried installing AC3filer in case it was AC3 codec issue.  No change though.

• 30. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                                                    moziator Level 1

AT - here is a .m2ts file that I can see in Organizer but the sound does not play. 

I have adobe elements organizer version 13.0 (20140831.m.62014) running on a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit machine.

Thanks!

Dropbox - 20140917113016.m2ts

• 31. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                                                      markk656 Level 1

Sound works fine everywhere on my Win 8.1 machine but not in PSE13 Organizer.  Audio is AC3 per MediaInfo. Moziator - does it play in other programs on your PC? 

• 32. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

moziator

Preliminary Findings....

I have download your .m2ts file to my Windows 7 64 bit computer, and my Elements Organizer findings are the following

Elements Organizer 13 - to be tested tomorrow.

Elements Organizer 12 - good video and audio playback in Elements Organizer 12 player.

Elements Organizer 11 - good video and audio playback in Elements Organizer 11 player.

Elements Organizer 10 - good video and audio playback in Elements Organizer 10 player.

And, no problems were found with the playback of video and audio if this file was just imported (Add Media/Files and Folders) into the Premiere Elements Editor of these versions.

It was another story for this file and Elements Organizer on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Elements Organizer 13 - to be tested tomorrow.

Elements Organizer 12, 11, and 10...no play back of video and audio - message was system does not have installed compressor/decompressor (codec)

a. renaming of container unsuccessful - .m2ts replaced with .mp4 or .mov or .mpeg.

b. conversion to H.264.mp4 with HandBrake was partially successful

Elements Organizer 12 player played back video and audio for H. 264.mp4

Elements Organizer 11 player played back video and audio but with issues for H.264.mp4

Elements Organizer 10 player played back video and audio but with issues for H.264.mp4

However, when these seemingly flawed H.264.mp4 were sent from the Elements Organizer to Premiere Elements Editor, they played back from the

Timeline in the Edit mode monitor without any problems.

And, no problems were found with the playback of video and audio if this file was just imported (Add Media/Files and Folders) into the Premiere Elements Editor of these versions.

More tomorrow, targeting Elements Organizer 13. Comments to follow wrap up.

ATR

• 33. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                                                          moziator Level 1

Yes, it plays fine (audio and video) in Windows Media Player (12.0.7601.18150) and VLC Player 2.1.0 Rinewind on the same PC.

• 34. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

moziator

Update on my testing of your .m2ts file in Elements Organizer 13 Windows 7 64 bit (with do Windows 8.1 64 bit later).

I confirm that your .m2ts file plays back in the Elements Organizer 13 player with no sound.

Based on the results so far (see prior post as well) and what I have read in this thread, I am speculating that the issue probably goes for a non support issue for

AC-3 in the Elements Organizer 13 player. I am currently working to gain more data to support that idea.

Details....

1. MediaInfo Properties readout for your original file

Video

H.264.m2ts 1920 x 1080 @ 59.94 progressive frames per second

Audio

AC-3

48.0 KHz, 2 channel Stereo, and bitrate 256 Kbps.

2. I can convert your file in HandBrake and Movie Maker to

H.264.mp4 1920 x 1080 @ 59.94 progressive frames per second, and this H.264.mp4 will import and play back in the

Elements Organizer 13 player without any issues. But, it needs to be pointed out that both these H.264.mp4 use AAC audio

and not AC-3.

3. I can import a VTS_01_1.VOB (MPEG2.VOB with AC-3 audio) into the Elements Organizer 13 and its player will play back

the video of the file with no sound.

4. I can rename the original file's file extension from .m2ts to .mp4 and other and still no sound.

More details later.

ATR

• 35. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

moziator

Not sure if this is a break through or not - may too much exploring and experimentation with the .m2ts that would not playback sound in the

Elements Organizer 13?

Before my computer players included

QuickTime

Windows Media Player

VLC Player

CyberLink PowerDVD

Today I installed the Media Player Classic HC x64

http://mpc-hc.org/

And, tonight the .m2ts file is now playing video and audio in the Elements Organizer 13 player.

Reminder - I am still doing the exploration and experimentation on this one on Windows 7 64 bit.

Please let me know if that worked for you also.

Thanks.

ATR

• 36. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                                                                moziator Level 1

Thanks again so much for the info ATR!

Unfortunately your suggested change didn't work for me - I installed Media Player Classic from the same link in your post and the audio still doesn't play for me in Elements Organizer 13 64-bit.

I'll see about opening a support ticket with Adobe and keep everyone on this forum posted.

Thanks again!

• 37. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

moziator

Thanks for the update. Sorry what seemed to work for me has not for you.

We will be looking forward to the outcome of your discussion with Adobe Chat on this issue.

Your follow up will be appreciated by all.

ATR

• 38. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the inconvenience  caused. This issue should be fixed in Elements 13.1. Please try updating your application to free 13.1 update.

Let me know if you are still facing this issue.

Regards,

Anwesha

• 39. Re: Premier elements 13 codec issue
                                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Anwesha

In the Premiere Elements 13.1 update, did Adobe intend to correct the no audio in Elements Organizer 13 playback of MPEG2.mpg (MPEG2 video compression and Dolby Digital audio)?

I did a quick test with a MPEG2.mpg file created in Premiere Elements 13.1 using Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = NTSC DVD Standard (audio is Dolby Digital).

When that file was played back in the Elements Organizer 13.1 player, it played back with video and no audio, as before in 13. If Adobe believes it had fixed this issue with the release of 13.1 Update, I will try again and challenge it more to happen.

Of note, creation of the file in Premiere Elements 13.1 triggered an automatic activation of a component. So, for those trying this, I would ask them to make sure that they are working with an Internet connection to give this matter full chance.

Looking forward to your comments.

Thank you.

ATR

1 2 Previous Next