10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2014 3:01 PM by trshaner

How can i add the Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fisheye lens profile from the camera profile in windows to lightroom 5?

nickpearse

It only seems to give me a 15mm fisheye option for Sigma and not the 10mm even though it is a profile in the camera profiles folder.

Can anyone help with importing this profile into Lightroom?

• 1. Re: How can i add the Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fisheye lens profile from the camera profile in windows to lightroom 5?
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lens profiles are specific to camera file type (raw and JPEG). There is only a camera raw lens profile available for this lens, but you have options. See this post for more information:

Re: Changing a lens profile in Notepad?

• 2. Re: How can i add the Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fisheye lens profile from the camera profile in windows to lightroom 5?
            nickpearse Level 1

Thanks for the help. I have been playing with the sigma 15mm which I'm assuming is for a full frame camera and it seems to do the job quite well of reducing the effects of fisheye. Are they are consequences for using this profile or as it seems to work quite well would you recommend carrying on with it?

• 3. Re: How can i add the Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fisheye lens profile from the camera profile in windows to lightroom 5?

The Sigma 15 mm F2.8 FE lens is designed for full-frame cameras. What camera model are you using it on? If it is a "crop" body then it should also work fine with the lens profile since it automatically scales the correction to your camera's crop factor. I use PS's Adaptive wide angle filter and Fisheye-Hemi plugin with my Canon 8-15mm FE to correct (or partially correct) the FE curvature and it works very well. There are also numerous freeware apps such as Hugin for processing FE images and creating panoramas.

• 4. Re: How can i add the Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fisheye lens profile from the camera profile in windows to lightroom 5?
                nickpearse Level 1

I'm using the sigma fisheye with a Nikon D7100 which is crop so I'm assuming I'm using the correct lens profile in the sigma 15mm?

• 5. Re: How can i add the Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fisheye lens profile from the camera profile in windows to lightroom 5?

You confused me me with this statement, "I have been playing with the sigma 15mm." If you are using the a Sigma 10mm F2.8 FE (1.5 crop factor) on a Nikon D7100 (1.5 crop factor) camera body the Sigma 15mm F2.8 FE lens (full-frame crop factor) lens profile will NOT work. As I mentioned the LR Lens Corrections tool can use full-frame Lens Profiles with both full-frame cameras and crop factor cameras. It detects the camera type (full-frame or crop) and applies only the area of the lens profile that applies when shooting with that specific lens. Since you are shooting with a Sigma 10mm F2.8 FE lens the Sigma 15mm FE profile will not work properly and the corrections applied will be incorrect.

REASON

1) The two lens may have different vignetting and distortion (i.e. FE projection type).

2) With a crop factor camera only the central crop area of the full-frame Sigma 15mm lens profile will be applied to the image, which is totally wrong!

Your best solution is to shoot raw image files and use the existing Sigma 10mm F2.8  raw lens profile that matches the actual lens you are using. If you need to correct previously shot JPEG files you can create a JPEG version of this profile following the instructions at the link I provided. Just be aware that the results may be slightly different with JPEG files, which is why Adobe creates both. If your objective is to correct fisheye distortion the LR lens profile distortion correction is not the best tool for this purpose. See the suggestions I provided in post #3 and do a google search using the phrase "fisheye correction".

• 6. Re: How can i add the Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fisheye lens profile from the camera profile in windows to lightroom 5?
                    nickpearse Level 1

Thanks for your response.

Just so it is black and white for my sake. I am shooting with a Nikon D7100 using a Sigma Fisheye 10mm 2.8 and using the Lens Profile of the Sigma 15mm 2.8mm on Lightroom.

I have included two links to the original fisheye image and also to the corrected image using the above. Is there anything obvious in the image that stands out to you that looks immediately wrong as it looks pretty good to me?

Dropbox - DSC_7098.JPG

Dropbox - DSC_70981.jpg

I really appreciate your help

• 7. Re: How can i add the Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fisheye lens profile from the camera profile in windows to lightroom 5?
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your second, corrected image looks good but it is not completely "defished" as the proper profile would do.  The telltale sign is that the vertical lines at the edges are still curved.

Here is what the proper Sigma 8mm profile does to a Sigma 8mm shot where you can see the vertical lines at the edges are completely straight.  In this case the vertical lines are the stone railings under each wall mural:

To me, this complete correction is too much and I always back off the correction by sliding the Distortion slider less than 100, usually I use just enough to remove the black in the corners, because I want a fisheye look to the image, not the severely stretched, rectilinearized look.

• 8. Re: How can i add the Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fisheye lens profile from the camera profile in windows to lightroom 5?
                        nickpearse Level 1

Thanks for your response. I have included the images below again and this time the second image has been totally defished. It seems to do as good of a job as my actual Sigma 10mm lens when i upload images in RAW.

Can you see any faults with the fisheye correction in the images below?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5n1rml9mm3df6ex/DSC_7098.JPG?dl=0

Dropbox - DSC_7098-2.jpg

Thanks for your help

• 9. Re: How can i add the Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fisheye lens profile from the camera profile in windows to lightroom 5?
                          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The -2 image is slightly less fishy than the 1 version but still the vertical lines are still curved as indicated by the red straight line at the left:

The lens profile for the 15mm cannot defish the 10mm properly.

The Nikon-attached Sigma 10mm fisheye lens profile is the one to use after editing a copy of the LCP file to work with JPGs as shown in the first reply.  Why are we still talking about using a lens profile other than the one for the Sigma 10mm FE?

• 10. Re: How can i add the Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fisheye lens profile from the camera profile in windows to lightroom 5?

nickpearse wrote:

Just so it is black and white for my sake. I am shooting with a Nikon D7100 using a Sigma Fisheye 10mm 2.8 and using the Lens Profile of the Sigma 15mm 2.8mm on Lightroom.

Then the correct profile to use is the Sigma 10mm F2.8 if you want proper Vignetting correction and matching Distortion correction, but you'll need to shoot camera raw images (i.e. no JPEG lens profile). This is also why you are only seeing partial correction. As I said, "With a crop factor camera only the central crop area of the full-frame Sigma 15mm lens profile will be applied."

That said there is absolutely nothing wrong with using the Sigma 15mm lens profile with your crop factor Nikon D7100 if you are happy with the partial correction results, but you can also do this using the correct Sigma 10mm lens profile (set less than 100). There is a fisheye correction plugin called Fisheye-Hemi that works very similar in that it only applies partial correction. You're getting about the same results as Fisheye-Hemi for free using partial correction with the LR lens profile tool. That should make you happy! I suggest experimenting with both the 15mm and 10mm lens profiles and start shooting camera raw image files. Your're not realizing the camera's full capability shooting JPEGs!

In the DSC_7098 images posted none of them look very sharp (slow shutter speed?). Other than geometric correction I can't judge the posted images for "sharpness" in the corrected areas, which is the major concern. The biggest issue with rectilinear correction of fisheye images is loss of detail in areas with the most correction (edges and corners).  If that were not the case people would use fisheye lenses for ALL wide-angle images and simply correct them inside LR. Sadly that's not the case and using LR's Lens Profile Distortion and other transform tools to correct fisheye images considerably softens the corrected areas (sides and corners).

Fisheye geometric distortion with some subjects is almost undetectable. So how much correction you need will vary by subject type and what the end use for the image. Any fisheye image that has correction applied will lose sharpness in the corrected areas, which may be fine for most purposes other than large prints.So it's best not to strive for 100% rectilinear correction–Just the correction needed to make the image look better.

Canon 8-15mm F4L FE on 5D MKII Full-Frame @ 15mm (No correction)

Looks good to me with no correction!

For more flexibility and better results PS's Wide Angle Adaptive filter and content aware fill tools will retain more image detail in the corrected areas. Here's the same lens and camera with an image processed in PS:

15mm Full-Frame Fisheye

LR Distortion = 50 (partial)                PS Adaptive Wide Angle Filter + Content Aware Fill

The corner image detail is about the same in both of the above images at 1:1 view. Partial LR Distortion correction is good!

So what happens if I apply 100 Distortion correction to the image inside LR?

1:1 Compare View (lower-left) with LR Distortion = 100

100% LR Distortion correction of fisheye images is NOT good IMHO!