9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2014 1:18 AM by john beardsworth

How to get my catalogue back after a Lightroom view cache error?

Nikon Nick

LR5 - Been working on a wedding on an external hard drive. While working on it...LR blinks out and closes. Tried to reopen...but keeps saying that there is a catalogue error and that lightroom will try to fix it the next time it fires up. Nope. I tried 8 times and this includes complete reboots...but error doesn't go away. Jump on the forums and they said to delete the Cache folder and then when I reboot that LR would have to recreate that and it would take some time.

I did that....all 100K+ previews....this took some time. I then go to restart LR5 and it is as though the software was brand new....no photos at all....not missing file.....gone! My photos are still on my external hard drive - no harm done. But to start the editing process over again on the two weddings I have on there....would take HOURS!!

IS there a way to get the edits and photos back without re-importing them? I do not have backup LR5 files before the import of this wedding.

• 1. Re: How to get my catalogue back after a Lightroom view cache error?
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should have deleted the previews folder, so in Explorer/Finder you would delete "LR5 Master Previews.lrdata" which would have been in the same folder as the catalogue "LR5 Master.lrcat". If you did exactly that - did you? - you should be able to reopen LR and the photos would initially be shown by that catalogue as blank thumbnails. All the editing work would still be recorded in the catalogue, so you would just have to wait for the thumbnails to regenerate.

However, it sounds as if you either deleted the lrcat file or you opened a brand new catalogue. If you deleted it, undelete it from Trash/Recycle Bin. If you opened a new catalogue, use File > Open Recent to open the correct one, or alternatively find it in Finder/Explorer and double click it.

• 2. Re: How to get my catalogue back after a Lightroom view cache error?
            Nikon Nick Level 1

Capture.JPG

John here is a screen shot. I deleted all of these folders yesterday....with the exception of the preview.db which could not be deleted. Also there was no master file as you described deleted...or even in the Lightroom folder. There is a Lightroom 5 catalog.lrcat. When I click on it yesterday the error message about the view cache resurfaced. This file was never deleted...should I have deleted it? Should I bring the above folders back from the recycle bin?

• 3. Re: How to get my catalogue back after a Lightroom view cache error?

In your folder My Pictures / Lightroom should be Lightroom 5 catalog.lrcat. Don't delete this - it's your catalogue. I used "master" only because it's the name of my catalogue.

But the folders in the screenshot are all subfolders of the lrdata that has the problem and which should be deleted. It may be necessary to restart Windows to allow you to zap previews.db. Afterwards only the Lightroom 5 catalog.lrcat file should be in that My Pictures / Lightroom folder.

• 4. Re: How to get my catalogue back after a Lightroom view cache error?
                Nikon Nick Level 1

Hey John....I have been able to resurrect the data files which I believe contain the LR edits....however I do believe I have deleted the lrcat file you are referring to. I believe I may have been misguided by a forum. That said...there is a current file now that is there, that dates back some time...so it is not new...so to speak. My question is...is there a way of scanning the edit files (Folders 0-F) to recreate a lrcat file? 

• 5. Re: How to get my catalogue back after a Lightroom view cache error?

Before you do anything else, go to Recycle Bin and see if you have deleted Lightroom 5 catalog.lrcat file that was in My Pictures / Lightroom. If you find it there, restore it, and open it in Lightroom.

What are "the data files"? That's not a Lightroom term, and I don't understand what you mean by the "current file" either. Screenshots or be much more precise, please. But Folders 0-F are the previews and you can't do anything worthwhile with them.

• 6. Re: How to get my catalogue back after a Lightroom view cache error?
                    Nikon Nick Level 1

John thanks for hanging in there with me! I am a photographer first.....and then a computer technician....like 12th.

I had checked the Recycle bin prior to your message and there is no such file like that in my bin. When I go to the LR file...and click on the Lightroom5 catalogue file....it opens lightroom and has none of my older files in it. I was calling the preview files the data files...sorry I did not know the correct jargon for those files.

It sounds like I may  have deleted the original Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat. And then according to the forum...emptied my bin. When I opened lightroom again it created another Lightroom5 Catalog.lrcat file. When I click on it....as to open the catalogue...it opens LR with just the  68 photos that I put back into lightroom today for I need to get some editing done. I am not sure if this could have made going back to the way things were even possible. I have two weddings and three family shoots that are coming up on deadline...so I was just trying to get some done before it go too close to the end of my delivery periods.

I had an IT guy come over....and he was kind of lost when it came down to this. He believes all is lost. I was just hoping there was a way of importing the preview files....to regenerate the catalogue....to regain my edits...but if I deleted the lr5 catalogue file....it sounds like I may be at a dead end? Is this correct?

• 7. Re: How to get my catalogue back after a Lightroom view cache error?

That's pretty well correct. While there are ways to use the preview files, I would only recommend them if your wedding and family clients will be happy with poor quality pictures.

Put all your effort into finding the missing lrcat file which contains your work. One thing I notice is that you originally wrote of working on an external hard drive. Was that just the original pictures, or was your catalogue on it? If the latter, your screenshot showed c: drive, usually an internal drive. Might the correct catalogue be on the external drive?

If you can't find it, how recent are the "backup LR5 files before the import of this wedding" ? You're probably going to have to use the most recent backup catalogue, import the wedding/family shots into it, and the 68 too, and then get adjusting.

• 8. Re: How to get my catalogue back after a Lightroom view cache error?
                        Nikon Nick Level 1

Looks like all was lost...but after a busy weekend...we were able to get back to where we left off. I have learned a lot about the behind the scenes in LR...backing up light crazy now. John thanks for your help - I wish I had talked to you before the forums found me!

• 9. Re: How to get my catalogue back after a Lightroom view cache error?

Good, just remember that the lrcat file is the key and you need to be confident of where it is, and that it is indeed backed up. Maybe don't recommend whatever forums you used before, but also consider looking for help at Lightroom Forums.