6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2014 10:51 AM by A.T. Romano

how do I reduce the seize of a video file using premiere 12

rpm1942

how do I reduce the seize of a video file using premiere 12

• 1. Re: how do I reduce the seize of a video file using premiere 12
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You create a new file using the publish/share process... AFTER you figure out the purpose of your new/smaller file

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 should help

• 2. Re: how do I reduce the seize of a video file using premiere 12
            A.T. Romano Level 7

rpm1942

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Have you updated 12 to the 12.1 Update? If not, please do so.

Now for your immediate question....the target

a. Do you have a particular format and file size requirement for your video? Typically exports from Publish+Share/Computer/Windows Media will

export your Timeline content with smaller file size than the other choices Under Publish+Share/Computer/

b. If you must go with a choice other than Windows Media under Publish+Share/Computer/, then the best way is to make your export choice and its preset, and then, under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, adjust the Bitrate in those Advanced Export Settings. Keep in mind, the higher the Bitrate, the higher the quality, greater the file size. And, the lower the Bitrate, the lower the quality, and the lower the file size. You need to find a compromise between Bitrate, quality, and file size.

Note, the estimated file size expected from the customization is typically shown at the bottom of the Export Settings that you are customizing under the Advanced Button/Video Tab.

If you need the above fine tuned, please let me know.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: how do I reduce the seize of a video file using premiere 12
              rpm1942 Level 1

Thanks for your response

I am running Windows 7 with Adobe Premiere  Elements 12.1

The video file in My Videos under windows is becoming to large  over 500 GB.

Is there a way to reduce the original  file in My Videos using Adobe Premiere 12.1 editing process?

• 4. Re: how do I reduce the seize of a video file using premiere 12
                A.T. Romano Level 7

rpm1942

Thanks for the follow up.

What kind of computer resources are you working with? And, what is the format and duration of this 500 GB video that you have

saved in My Videos?

If you could get the video into a Premiere Elements project, you could consider splitting the video into scenes in its

Preview Windows (Set In and Set Out points) and using selected segments of the whole.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Project Assets Organization for Scene and Highlight Grabs from Collection o…

Or, just cutting and deleting at the Timeline level with the scissors tool. But, 500 GB file?

I see cutting and deleting in the editing progress to reduce the size of the video. I see reducing file size in the export process

and its compression choices. Both dependent on computer resources to handle a video file with file size and format considerations.

Just in case question....are you sure the your video file size is 500 GB...could your video file size be 500 MB?

Please review, consider, and then we can decide a possible what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: how do I reduce the seize of a video file using premiere 12
                  rpm1942 Level 1

The total of all my videos is 500 GB. I want to reduce the seize of multiple separate files located in the Windows My Videos Folder.

I understand that when I edit in Adobe Premiere the original file the  Windows My Videos Folder remains the same seize. Is there a

way to reduce the file seize using Adobe Premiere, or if not do you have any suggestions as to how to edit the original files.

• 6. Re: how do I reduce the seize of a video file using premiere 12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

rpm1942

Reducing the Folder Size but not the file size of the files inside of the 500 GB Folder.

If you have a folder on the computer hard drive that has a file size of 500 GB (representing total of all the files in that folder), what you can do is create new folders and move some of the content of the 500 GB Folder to the other folders. Are you OK at creating new empty folder(s) for this purpose. But, that approach seems overwhelming since, if you establish 2 GB Folders, you would end up with 250 folders.

Reducing the File Size of the individual files within the 500 GB Folder.

Open a Premiere Elements project, import each of the files (one at a time) and export it with compression which gains you the smallest file size with good quality, including properties as close as possible to the original or as is acceptable to you. Save these individual exports in a new folder. Then decide whether or not you need the originals in the 500 GB Folder. If not, delete the 500 GB folder.

Does any of the above seem doable to your goals.

We look forward to further developments. If you need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR