5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2014 7:54 PM by Chris Cox

Multiple layer comps causing lag in Photoshop CC

Ho Chang Jun

My Photoshop file has been lagging badly recently, and after a few hours of experimenting I found out that having multiple layer comps was the issue.

I have about 30 layer comps and simply dragging things around lags badly. After deleting all my layer comps the lag completely disappeared however deleting my layer comps is an issue as they're used to show different wire frames of the app to the client.

Is there a work around to this problem?

Details:

I'm using photoshop cc with a windows 8.1 64 bit pc. my pc is like:

i7-4771 CPU

32 GB DDR 3 RAM

GTX 780

my photoshop performance settings are like:

Photoshop use 70% of ram

scratch disk is C & D drive with 100GB and 730GB free Space respectively.

history states: 200

cache level: 8

cache tile size: 1028K

My Photoshop size file is 5.93M/690.0M.

I used a script to check the number of layers and it's around 1000.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Multiple layer comps causing lag in Photoshop CC
          Warren Heaton Adobe Community Professional

Hello Ho:

Do you know what your Scratch Sizes are?

And, do you know what your file Efficiency is?

If you click on your Doc Size at the bottom left of the document window, you'll see "Scratch Sizes" and  "Efficiency" about half way down the list (you'll also see Adobe Drive, Document Sizes, Document Profile, Document Dimensions, Measuerment Size, etc.).

I'd guess your Efficiency is well below 50%.  Most likely, you'll have to increase the hard drive space available to accommodate your Scratch Sizes with the largest and fastest drive that you can afford (SSD drives and/or Thunderbolt drives work really well for this)..

Is it possible to split the file into multiple files?

-Warren

• 2. Re: Multiple layer comps causing lag in Photoshop CC
            Ho Chang Jun Level 1

Hi Wheaton01

Thank you for your reply.

My efficiency is 100%* with an asterisk.

My scratch disk upon opening the file is 6G/19.6G.

My scratch disk C (SSD) has 90GB free space.

My scratch disk D (HDD) has 700GB free space.

Both are active.

How do I utilise them more?

Yes it's possible to split the file into multiple files but I am hoping to avoid that workaround if possible.

• 3. Re: Multiple layer comps causing lag in Photoshop CC
              Warren Heaton Adobe Community Professional

Hello Ho Chang:

Based on what you described, I was expecting the efficiency to be lower than 100%.

The asterisk should just mean that you have not saved the file since you last made a change.

You’re definitely working with a hefty document.  You would probably benefit from adding a very high capacity, very fast hard drive to your system that is used only as your Scratch Disk.

While your boot drive is an ideal type of drive for a Scratch Disk, it’s also the drive that you’re running your OS and applications from.  As such, maybe avoid using the C drive as a Scratch Disk location.

I’d try to split the document up into multiple documents, opening only one at a time.

-Warren

• 4. Re: Multiple layer comps causing lag in Photoshop CC
                Ho Chang Jun Level 1

Hi Wheaton,

My confusion lies in that, when I delete all the layer comps I have, which is about 20 of them, the lag completely disappears, it becomes as fluid as working in a new document. But the moment if I have at least one layer comp, it isn't fluid anymore.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks and appreciate your replies!

• 5. Re: Multiple layer comps causing lag in Photoshop CC
                  Level 7

Can you send a copy of that file to ccox at adobe dot com -- I'd like to run it with a profiler and see where the time is being spent.

I have a suspicion that I know that is going on, but need to confirm it with a real file (this is a case where the history of the file matters), and then use that to test any fixes we come up with.

Short version: too many layers plus too many layer comps causes a serious slowdown, because Photoshop may be trying to validate the comps more often than it should.