17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2014 5:01 PM by A.T. Romano

rollback video driver?

trouble with video

Can someone please explain to me how to 'roll back the video driver'?  I have seen that mentioned as a fix to the problem of having only audio, no video, but I have no idea how to go about doing that!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: rollback video driver?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

•IF you have Premiere Elements version 10 and an nVidia card

•nVidia Driver Rollback PreElements-10 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

•-Old Drivers http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

• 2. Re: rollback video driver?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

trouble with video

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Are you trying to deal with the Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce issue? If so, the complete description of the issue and the fix

as well as the how to are included in the Announcement at the top of this forum. For your convenience, I will do a copy/paste of that

Announcement into your thread.

Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA Video Card Driver Roll Back

If you are a Premiere Elements 10 user whose Windows computer uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card and you are experiencing

Premiere Elements 10 display and/or unexplained program behavior, then your first line of troubleshooting needs to be rolling back

the video card driver version instead of assuring that it is up to date.   

Since October 2013 to the present, there have been a growing number of reports about display and unexplained workflow glitches

specific to the Premiere Elements 10 user whose Windows computer has a NVIDIA GeForce video card. If this applies to you,

then the “user to user” remedy is to roll back the NVIDIA GeForce video card driver as far as is necessary to get rid of the problems.

The typical driver roll back has gone back as far as March – July 2013 in order to get a working Premiere Elements 10. Neither NVIDIA

nor Adobe has taken any corrective action in this regard to date, and none is expected moving forward.   

Since October 2013, the following thread has tried to keep up with the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA reports

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675    

Older NVIDIA GeForce drivers can be found  http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us    

A February 2014 overview of the situation as well as how to use the older NVIDIA GeForce drivers for the driver roll back can be found  http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe10-nvidia-video-card-roll-back.html 

But, we do not have enough details at this point. . Depending on the circumstances, all you may need to do is go to Device Manager/Display Adapters/name of your computer's video card/graphics card and, in the properties Driver Tab, click on roll back driver.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: rollback video driver?
              trouble with video Level 1

Hi ATR,

Here is my info:  I am using Premiere Elements 11, on a Windows 8 PC, and am trying to play videos from my camera's memory card, which I have done many times in the past, but now, the .MOV files only show up as audio files, and when I play them on Premiere Elements 11, they are just audio, with a black screen for the video.  I have done the Adobe updates, with no success.  Please help!

Thanks, Jennifer

• 4. Re: rollback video driver?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jennifer

Great news that you are not involved in that Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce card issue. That would forced you back into driver versions of about May of 2103.

This is what I would like you to do first. Verify that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer. Then verify that the no video is specific for video

with the .mov file extension. Do you have this problem if you import only jpegs into the project or just video but of another format?

Let us start here and then we can move to the video card/graphics card roll back which I would use in the Device Manager/Display Adapters area. I will go through step

by step with screenshots on that if necessary.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: rollback video driver?

Hi ATR,

I just installed the latest QuickTime version, and also checked that I can import jpegs properly.  The jpgs are fine, but I my .MOV files still only show up as audio files.  I don't have any other format of video files that I can test this with.

Thanks,

Jen

• 6. Re: rollback video driver?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jen

Thanks for the reply.

Could you tell us the brand/model/settings of the camera that is recording this .mov video? Perhaps we can determine from those details why the video is not displaying for this .mov file.

Can you transfer the .mov files from the camera to the computer (bypassing the SD card), and then import the .mov file from the computer hard drive save location into Premiere Elements 11 Add Media/Files and Folders?

Just in case note, is the video missing in the playback of the file in the Elements Organizer 11 only and not in the Premiere Elements 11 Editor or is the video missing in both?

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: rollback video driver?

The camera is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS8.  The movies display fine on my computer when they're not in Premiere Elements.  I transferred them to the computer, and pulled them up from Files and Folders, and there's still no video component.  I tried to find them in Elements Organizer, but I am not sure how.  I click on the file folder that they should be in, but they are not there.  Then when I try to import them, I get a message saying they already exist in that file, even though I can't see them.  I am not sure if I am doing it right.

Thanks,

Jennifer

• 8. Re: rollback video driver?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jennifer

I just deleted what I had just written when I saw the camera name and its specifications.

The answer is your video is using MotionJPEG video compression which is often problematic for Premiere Elements (any version).

There are a few remedies...

1. See if you have a utility that came with the camera so that you can install the utility to get a MotionJPEG codec for your computer that will be

available to Premiere Elements.

2. Convert the MotionJPEG.mov file to another format with a converter to be named.

3. Download and install a MotionJPEG video codec such as the Morgan MotionJPEG codec which I mention for informational rather than promotional

consideration.

http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/morgan/php/products.php?sProductId=4&sProductSub=download s

This codec is not free, but I believe you can get a tryout. If the tryout proves to be the answer, then you can make your decision on how you want

to proceed.

Please review, consider, and then let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: rollback video driver?

Thanks. I will try that.  What format should I convert the .mov files to?

• 10. Re: rollback video driver?

And why do you think I used to be able to use this camera's movies, and now I can't?  What has changed?

• 11. Re: rollback video driver?

Okay--I have installed the Morgan Codec, and I see the icon on my computer, but I am not sure what to do with it.  Does it automatically do what it needs to do?  When I click on the icon, there doesn't seem to be much I can do.  Please help!

• 12. Re: rollback video driver?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jennifer

It is not understood in these cases if the MotionJPEG is really not installed on the computer or whether the MotionJPEG that is there is just not available to Premiere Elements.

Once you download and install the MotionJPEG codec tryout to your computer, there should be nothing for you to do but to open a new Premiere Elements project and determine if you can import your video into the project and determine if you now have video as well as audio playback.

We will be watching for the results.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...please post the specification of your video and I will suggest a converter. The converter is for the sake of the video compression.

Looking for frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive video, pixel aspect ratio.

• 13. Re: rollback video driver?

The codec doesn't seem to be doing anything.  I closed Elements and opened it again, and opened the .mov video, and it's still just audio.

• 14. Re: rollback video driver?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jennifer

I was almost certain that the tryout MotionJPEG video codec would resolve the issue. But, moving forward.

What are the properties of the MotionJPEG.mov file that you have? 1280 x 720 (720p) or 640 x 480 or something else?

Depending on what you have, we can decide which would be the easiest of the converters to use. Right now I am thinking

HandBrake to get a H.264.mp4 file instead of a MotionJPEG.mov file.

https://handbrake.fr/

Step by step on that if you decide you want to give that a try.

What might be quick to try...rename just the file extension of the MotionJPEG.mov file at its hard drive save location. Right click the

file there and just change the .mov part of the name to .mp4. Take the .mp4 named video into Premiere Elements and decide if any

change.

More later.

ATR

• 15. Re: rollback video driver?

ATR,

I am not sure that the codec is actually being used to convert the .mov file.  How do I know if it's actually converting my files?  I have it on my computer, but I haven't sent my videos through it or done anything with the specific movie files. Do I need to do something like that, and if so, how?  This is getting far beyond my computer tech comfort level...

• 16. Re: rollback video driver?

To clarify, I am talking about the Morgan Codec that I downloaded a few hours ago.  Do you just download it, and that's it?  Is there something I have to do to make it work on my .mov files?

• 17. Re: rollback video driver?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jennifer

Unless there is something special written into the instructions that come with the current download, all you do is follow the instructions to where you get to Finish to click on or see a successfully completed message. Did you say that you restarted the computer after that installation?

I have not installed this codec in years. But that is my recollection of what needed to be done. The results were immediately know when I tried to view the MotionJPEG.avi or .mov.

If all else fails, would you want to send a sample video in a Dropbox link posted in a reply in your thread. I have several versions of Premiere Elements on my Windows computer and can check out the video.

ATR

Add On...If you go to Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime, do you see QuickTime presets to select from under Preset:?