19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2014 3:47 PM by A.T. Romano

Setting up projects Premiere Elements v13

n0rm_S

Brand new to Premiere E 13 and really don't understand PE "Projects" that well.  A few questions if  might  :-)

#1.  I have an .avi file 1.6 hours long, the result of digitizing 2400 feet of 16mm.  The file contains over 50 years of home movies and I would like to create a dozen or so subsets following people, places and/or events.  Should I create a new project for each subset or work with just one?

#2.  How do I delete projects that I am done with?

Thanks,

Norm

• 1. Re: Setting up projects Premiere Elements v13
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help

If you think you will want to write the entire project to one DVD or BluRay, you need one timeline

• 2. Re: Setting up projects Premiere Elements v13
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Norm

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running on?

Based on the source that you state for your video, I am assuming that you are dealing with NTSC or PAL DV AVI 4:3 standard footage (720 x 480 4:3). You run the risk of pixelation if your attempt to upscale the video for HD output.

I would suggest that you review the following approaches, then we can zero in on step by step, simplification, and customization.

1. Look at the new Tools Menu/Favorite Moments to see if that is of interest

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Mark and extract favorite moments

2. Think about the older way of trimming your video in its Preview Windows using Preview Windows' Set In and Set Out points.

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Trimming clips

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Project Assets Organization for Scene and Highlight Grabs from Collection o…

More later.

ATR

• 3. Re: Setting up projects Premiere Elements v13
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Norm

Second part of your questions on deleting a project.

I will assume for the moment that your Premiere Elements 13 is on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Bottom line: there is no one button for specifically deleting a given project. There is an accept default plan and plan ahead approach to getting rid of older projects

If you do nothing, you will have your project file saved to

Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.0

along with a variety of the project assets. In that 13.0 Folder, please see

Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder

Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder

Encoded Files

Layouts

Score Files

You would need to go through the files and folders there to pick out those associated with the project that you want to delete.

If you plan ahead, you create a new folder for each project, with the project and project assets directed to the same folder.

Check out Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks to see what is going on in that regards. Those Scratch Disks can be set Same As Project.

The plan ahead approach would take you into File Menu/New/Project and the New Project dialog to set Save in for the project. That New Project Save in location would be the place where the project assets would be going once they are directed to go to the same place via Same As Project in the preferences.

Please review, and then we can fine tune all this as deeply as you need.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...There is this Adobe document that you might also want to browse through

Delete a project | Premiere Elements

• 4. Re: Setting up projects Premiere Elements v13
                n0rm_S Level 1

Thanks John...I see I have a little lite reading ahead of me.

Norm

• 5. Re: Setting up projects Premiere Elements v13
                  n0rm_S Level 1

Thank you for the quick response.  :-)  I forgot the first rule when there is a question ....  I am running a iMac OSX 10.9.  I was had just purchased PE12 the day before 13 was announced and was using it until Adobe graciously provided an upgrade to 13.

Favorite Moments sound promising. Will look into that.  I had been using the Trimmer.   In 12 I was able to drag the screen of the trimmer into the Project Assets (list view) and add a clip  to assets that way.  Pretty handy.  In 13 as soon as I get the grabbed image to Project Assets I get the universal don't do that  (Zero with a slash through it).  If you know how to use the trimmer to add to the project assets I sure would appreciate a hint how.

There is no limit to my video editing expertise because there it none to start with... sorta like dividing by Zero  ...  :-/    I am working on it.   I had the film professionally converted and I am pretty sure the product file was HD.  I am only minimumly familiar with video at this point but there was something I remember from a tutorial that the first clip you add determines how the project is set but I don't yet know where to go see what it ends up getting set to.  Hmmmm just did a FILE>GET PROPERTIES FOR and it read..... Image size 1920x1080,Frame Rate 30, 45.3GB  Duration 1:40:28. Looks like an answer.... whether it is the right answer or not is TBD.

The one folder/project certainly sounds like the way to go. I am sure there are some drawbacks but it sounds like it will make housekeeping easier.

Thanks again,

Norm

• 6. Re: Setting up projects Premiere Elements v13
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Norm

With regard to the Preview Windows Set In and Set Out

Given that you have your video in Project Assets. You double click the video to open its Preview Window and use the Preview Window's Set In Set Out for a trim.

The key (Windows) to getting the trim into Project Assets is the Panel Options/View. View has two choices Grid and List.

When the View set is for List, you just click, drag the trim into Project Assets.

When the View set is for Grid, as you hold down the Ctrl key..... click, drag the trim into Project Assets.

I think that Command is the Mac counterpart of Windows' Ctrl, so you could try the Command hold down when you are in the View Grid.

Or, you should be able to do this in View List, no hold down key.

Whatever its origin, if the source displays well in the computer and it is reading 1920 x 1080 and if it does not have any non supported Premiere Elements format, you should be in a good place for a SD or HD output.

Please let us know the outcome after your exploration of the possibilities.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Setting up projects Premiere Elements v13
                      n0rm_S Level 1

No luck.

I started with LIST VIEW and a drag.  Once the cursor turns into a hand I can drag toward the Project Assets.  As the hand leaves the clip viewer it changed into what I might call the in and out markers with a green down pointing arrow between the markers.  Once I reach the boundary of the Project Assets the PROHIBITED (ZERO with a back slash across) icon appears and nothing copies.

With LIST VIEW and COMMAND nothing

With GRID VIEW  and COMMAND the hand changes to a IN and OUT but the arrow now points to the right ... again the PROHIBITED icon as the drag enters the Project Assets.

I also played with the option control and shift keys but nothing good happened.

?????

Norm  :-/

• 8. Re: Setting up projects Premiere Elements v13
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Norm

I think I may have the answer. And, it may not be a Windows - Mac issue. Let us hope.

How are you opening the file's Preview Window (Set In Set Out points)?

Please confirm that you are doing the following -

a. import your video into Expert workspace/Project Assets....

b. do not drag the file to the Timeline

c. in Project Assets, double click the file's thumbnail there to open its Preview Window

d. do the trim and generation of the subclips...I am almost certain it will work for you

e. yes or no?

Looking forward to the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Setting up projects Premiere Elements v13
                          n0rm_S Level 1

BINGO! & Bravo!!!!  How did you come up with that one???  :-)

List view unmodified drag

Grid view CMD key drag.

Both worked!!!

Thank you,

Norm

• 10. Re: Setting up projects Premiere Elements v13
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Norm

Premiere Elements Windows and Mac are essentially the same but there are differences. But, I never heard of generating subclips from the Preview Window as one of them.

So, I knew it had to work for Mac as well as Windows. Based on years digging into the details of these programs, there could be one answer for the difference in go and no go under the circumstances.

Great job of staying with the troubleshooting suggestions.

Best wishes

ATR

• 11. Re: Setting up projects Premiere Elements v13
                              n0rm_S Level 1

Mac - Windows, Windows - Mac! It has been a love hate relationship with both for decades...:-)  I started with the "Load the accumulator with the contents for register  0743"  :-)

I have been using LightRoom for about a year now and I am intimately with at least 5% of its capability.  It appears that Premiere is similar in nature at about 30 fps.  So let see...that should make my Premiere expertise 5%/30fps = .1666665 %/fps  :-)

Thank you for your help and as I start digging deeper into all of this I am sure there are going to be lots of bumps in the road. I bet the road leads to where I want to be though.

• 12. Re: Setting up projects Premiere Elements v13
                                n0rm_S Level 1

Just found I can capture screen video with Mac OSX so here is what I was trying to tell you about.  Poor video for a video forum but it might get the point across  :-)

• 13. Re: Setting up projects Premiere Elements v13
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Norm

Thanks for the replies.

I went to watch your video demo in post 12 of your thread and was greeted by "This video has been removed by the user."

With further details I will work on the issues that you still may be facing.

ATR

• 14. Re: Setting up projects Premiere Elements v13
                                    n0rm_S Level 1

It took a loooooooooong time for my first attempt to load so I tried again.  Then of course I had two and as I might have expected...deleted the wrong one.  Let me try again...

• 15. Re: Setting up projects Premiere Elements v13
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Norm

Thanks for the screenshot.

Am I correct in that the post 14 video demo'd  the problem before you went to double clicking the video thumbnail in Project Assets to open the video's Project Window?

Am I missing something else that you were trying to tell me?

Hope all is going well.

Best wishes

ATR

• 16. Re: Setting up projects Premiere Elements v13
                                        n0rm_S Level 1

Yup... I was trying to show you what was happening and wondering if you might know what the programmer were intending (if they were intending anything at all). 

Did you notice how the dragged cursor took on those two forms after leaving the Clipper and before the Project Assets.  One with down pointing arrows and the other with right pointing efforts both between what I might think were in and out markers.

Certainly not a significant issue.... just wondering.

Thanks,

Norm

• 17. Re: Setting up projects Premiere Elements v13
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Norm

This is my speculation on a why between the subclip results depending on how you open the Preview Windows with Set In and Set Out points.

I am proposing that there is a difference between using the Preview Window to edit (with a trim) a Timeline video versus using the Preview Window to trimming (split) a video file into segments in Project Assets before bringing the trims to the Timeline from Project Assets.

If you import a video into a project, Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets

a. If you drag the video from Project Assets way, all you are doing is using the Preview Window to "edit" a Timeline clip as you might do with the Scissors Tool. If you were to edit a Timeline clip any other way, you could not drag the edited clip from the Timeline to Project Assets.

Note: If you double click the video on the Timeline to open the Preview Window and trim the Timeline clip with Preview Window's Set In and Set Out points, the Timeline clip takes on the duration of the trim, while the video's thumbnail in Project Assets keeps its original duration.

b. If you do not drag the video from Project Assets and open the Preview Window from there, you effectively split the video into segments with each Set In, Set Out.

When you do that, the duration of the original clip in Project Assets  is replaced by the duration of the trims.

That is my suggest why (for now).

ATR

• 18. Re: Setting up projects Premiere Elements v13
                                            n0rm_S Level 1

"I THINK" if follow.  Remember I am a newbie  :-)  I'll be reading it a few more times and I bet it will sink in.

Thanks...:-)

• 19. Re: Setting up projects Premiere Elements v13
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Norm

I had to think and rethink it until I understood what I meant to suggest for the explanation.

ATR