6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2007 6:53 AM by fender_acoustic

Flex Apps and Windows Security...

fender_acoustic
      I built a pretty simple flex app that uses an HTTP service to execute a query and return the results in XML that populates a DataGrid. The application seems to be working fine on all the machines I tested in the office and at home. However, it doesn't work for the person that I have built the app for. (go figure.. the one person it needs to work for). What happens is.. the SWF file loads fine, but the XML being returned is getting blocked and therefore the DataGrid isn't being populated. After adding his site as a trusted site via Internet Options, it worked perfectly. Is this a common problem for flex developers? I just need to know because there are going to be thousands of people using this app and I don't want him getting a bunch of phone calls that the app isn't working because the Flex App is being blocked. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Mike
        • 1. Re: Flex Apps and Windows Security...
          peterent Level 2
          Does the server from which the XML is being retrieved have a crossdomain.xml policy file on it?
          • 2. Re: Flex Apps and Windows Security...
            fender_acoustic Level 1
            I don't think it does. However, the application is being run on the same server and the same site from which the XML is being returned from. Would I still need a crossdomain.xml policy file? Perhaps I shouldn't be using an HTTP service to return the XML?

Mike
            • 3. Re: Flex Apps and Windows Security...
              peterent Level 2
              How do you know the XML being returned is blocked? Can you see this using a sniffer of some sort or are you getting an error message? Do you know for sure that the server is being hit with the request?

If it is being blocked on the return and adding the site as being trusted, then that is all you can do. It isn't a Flash Player issue then.

What you should check in your code is that the URL to the XML data is a relative path and not a full URL ( http://www....) since the XML is coming from the same server. This might make the browser understand that the data is being returned from the same source as the SWF.

Also, are you using GET or POST to retrieve the data? It *might* make a difference, I'm not sure. GET should definitely work.
              • 4. Re: Flex Apps and Windows Security...
                fender_acoustic Level 1
                Well, I am not using a sniffer to see if the XML is being returned or not. I know that the XML is being generated correctly because when I call the XML generating page, I can see it is pulling the records correctly. The app loads correctly (error free), it's just blank. The XML is supposed to populate the DataGrid on load. When we set the site to "Trusted" in IE options.. the app loads fine and populates correctly. So, I assumed that the XML data being returned is being blocked or the request is being blocked from the Flex App.

You bring up some valid issues though. I am using a full URL.. not a relative, and I am using a POST method. I will try to make these changes and I will let you know if the problem gets fixed. It's just really unusual behavior.. I don't understand why this is an issue on these two computers only. I've tested it on about 5 other machines problem free.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. Hopefully, said changes will fix the problem.

Mike
                • 5. Re: Flex Apps and Windows Security...
                  peterent Level 2
                  If the issue is only on a couple of computers, then I would say it is their IE security settings. You should be able to duplicate the problem on a machine that has worked by upping the security setting.
                  • 6. Re: Flex Apps and Windows Security...
                    fender_acoustic Level 1
                    Thanks for your help peterent... the problem was because I was using a full URL ("http:/www...") instead of a relative url. thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Mike