11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2014 8:45 AM by Szalam

Random blinking on layers

TeehBoss

I get a random blinking on text layers. I have two text layers in different color above each other and for some weird reason I get random fast blinking when I render. This blinking is not visible in the program during RAM preview. Everything seems fine her. Does someone have a solution to this?

• 1. Re: Random blinking on layers
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Because you didn't tell us anything at all about your system, your composition, your render settings, or your version of AE or your OS try updating AE, then purge all caches and then render using one of the default settings in the Output Module and the default setting for Render Settings, or  render by adding your AEP to the Adobe Media Encoder. If you are still having problems then we need to know everything about the composition, the two layers that are flashing, your version of AE, your render settings, and your workflow. Without that information the only suggestion I have to give is in the first sentence.

• 2. Re: Random blinking on layers
            TeehBoss Level 1

Hey! Of course! Sorry...

Im using AE CC 2014 (the newest one of them I reckon) my comp is 1920x1080 24fps and my render settings are the quicktime h264 format. Im running on Windows 7, Intel Core i7 960 3,2ghz, 12GB RAM and im not sure about the graphics card... Im creating a kinetic type peace so my workflow is importing layers of text from illustrator, animating them and moving the camera around with different null objects. Im really missing the old h264 mp4 render settings in After Effects... Never any problems with these and the quality is amazing. I know that the media encoder still has these render settings and that it  would be the best option using it, but for some reason Im not getting motion blur when I render in Media Encoder, even though all layers have motion blur on them ? That is pretty much the only thing that is stopping me using Media Encoder.

• 3. Re: Random blinking on layers
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What, exact, version of CC 2014 are you running? If it's not 13.1.x, update. The 13.1 update released today.

Do you have multiprocessing turned on? Turn it off and try again.

Render in AE to an intermediate file format (such as QuickTime with the PNG video codec) and then use that in the Adobe Media Encoder to create your final deliverable.

• 4. Re: Random blinking on layers
                TeehBoss Level 1

Version 13.0.0.214.Multiprocessing not turned on. Tried rendering in AVI losless and still getting the blinking problem so im guessing it happens in every render setting. Also tried quicktime with the PNG video codec. Same problem...

• 5. Re: Random blinking on layers

Try the update to 13.1.x and see if that fixes it.

• 6. Re: Random blinking on layers
                    TeehBoss Level 1

I have dublicated 2 layers with fill as color. Then I have changed the color on one of them and changed the position a pit to get a cool double colored text effect. Maybe the generate - fill effect is causing the problem?

• 7. Re: Random blinking on layers

Wait, are they 3d layers in the same spot in z space? If so, offset a bit in z.

If that's not it, try using the character settings to change the color instead of the Fill effect and see if that solves it.

• 8. Re: Random blinking on layers
                        TeehBoss Level 1

Im not quite sure what you are referring to on the null objects. Im basically moving them around as the text goes. I can't change the color with the type tool because they are vector layers from illustrator that I have masked :S Any other options to change colors?

Also, im using a new null layer for every camera move. I switched off the layers where a new one started and the blinking is still there but it is now a bit slower when rendering. This is weird...

• 9. Re: Random blinking on layers

I was talking about the text layers. If they're at the same spot in 3d space, move one of them a bit so they're not on the exact same plane. You've moved them in x and y (I assume) a pixel or two in z should do the trick. (Assuming the issue is what I think it is.)

If you want to have actual, editable text layers in AE instead of Illustrator layers, you have a few options:

• You can "Export" your Illustrator file to the Photoshop (.psd) format. Then open the .psd in After Effect as a Composition, select the text layer and choose Layer > Convert to Editable Text.
                          • You can right-click > "Create Shapes from Vector Layer" (doesn't actually make the text itself editable, but you do have all the cool features that shape layers provide with repeaters, etc.)
                          • You can copy the text in Illustrator, start a new text layer in AE, and paste the text into it.
                          • 10. Re: Random blinking on layers
                            TeehBoss Level 1

Hey. Changing the z position actually solved it. Thanks dude! Do you know why this happens?

• 11. Re: Random blinking on layers

TeehBoss wrote:

Hey. Changing the z position actually solved it. Thanks dude! Do you know why this happens?

The layers are occupying the exact same spot in 3d space. Which one gets rendered as visible? The computer doesn't know. It can't know. You could even offset them by .001 in z and it would work to fix it. The same thing happens in full-fledged 3d software too. You just have to make sure things aren't in the exact same spot in 3d space.