2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2014 4:42 PM by TigrouMeow

The photo:requestJpegThumbnail callback is called more than once

TigrouMeow Level 1

Hello,

I am running into an issue where photo:requestJpegThumbnail  is called more than once.

Basically, inside a LrTask, I am looping through a selection of photos and I am calling photo:requestJpegThumbnail for each of them. Since it seems there is no way I can pause my task during the callback is executed, I have a look with a sleep. I would prefer to use a promise for this if possible but I didn't find a way to do it. It actually works without any problem but... the callback of photo:requestJpegThumbnail is sometimes called more than once. I can use a isFirstTry variable in there and then it works but I want to avoid using any hack. Here is what my (pseudo) code looks like.

(LrTask)

-- 'photos' is a selection of photos from the catalog

-- 'total' is the total number of photos and 'current' starts at 1

while not current < total do

local isRunning = true

current = current + 1

photo = photos[current]

thumbnail = photo:requestJpegThumbnail( 400, 400, function ( thumbnail )

-- hello! I am sometimes called more than once for the same photo

isRunning = false

end )

while isRunning do

LrTasks.sleep( 1 / 5 )

end

end

(/LrTask)

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: The photo:requestJpegThumbnail callback is called more than once
          areohbee Level 5

I don't use requestJpegThumbnail, because of a multitude of problems I had with it. I use a proprietary reverse-engineered method instead.

That said, one thing of note:

If you reload the plugin, it won't auto-kill asynchronous tasks, so it's possible to have them stack up.

So, if you have any long-running tasks, it's good to have a LrShutdownPlugin module which sets a global 'shutdown' flag, then code your task functions thusly:

while..

if killTask then return end

if shutdown then return end

end-while.

Dunno if that will help your problem or not.

Similarly, use context:addCleanupHandler( function() killTask = true end ) kinda code to make sure tasks are killed in case of error..

Also, it would be good to put a watchdog timer on your calls to requestJpegThumbnail, so you're not wholly dependent on trust in callback to keep plugin from hanging.

Cheers,

Rob

• 2. Re: The photo:requestJpegThumbnail callback is called more than once
            TigrouMeow Level 1

Hello Rob,

I exactly did that, I am now using some kind of shutdown flag everywhere! I am not sure what else I have changed since 2 months ago but I don't have this issue at all anymore, maybe thanks to that.

Now I have some more work to do with the addCleanupHandler, I have to admit I don't use it for all my tasks...

Thanks for your help always Rob!