7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2015 11:14 PM by jvc-mv

Disc Menu Glitch in PE 9 Question

jvc-mv

Hello, been working with PE 9 DVD Disc Menus.  I've done a search and couldn't find this topic.  If there is a similar situation discussed, please direct me to it.  Otherwise the situation is: 

When selecting a standard Disc Menu such as "Slide Disc Menus, Slide Shows, Pan and Zoom", after all the edits are done, such as adding a still picture background, editing text, scenes, etc.), while previewing the Main Menu (hit Preview button in PE 9 Disc Menu edit screen and second window pops up showing the Main Disc Menu, where you can actually press Scenes, Play, etc.), during this preview and after burned to a DVD and watching the same Disc Menu on TV w/ the DVD in the player, the still image in the custom Disc Main Menu seems to flicker back and forth in about a few seconds intervals, constantly like a loop, and it goes from a clear image to a slight blurred image, and will even change the text color, even tho it shows the text as one color in the editing screen.  This loop of going from a clear background image to a blurred one and flickering as such every second or so happens even while trying other types of Disc Menu setups in PE9.  Is this just caused by the DVD recycling itself on standby and cannot really be delt with, or is this a glitch w/ PE 9?  Was wondering how to keep the Disc Menu screen still, and with a constant clear image, etc. 

The Disc Menu editing selections, etc. are as follows: 

-Menu Background, Video Or Still (a still .bmp picture used), In Point= 0, Use Still Frame is unchecked and cannot be checked, and the same for Apply Default Transition before loop

-Audio, (I added a blank short audio clip because PE9 will not save your edited disc menus unless you assign some kind of audio clip file even if it's a muted sound),  In Point = 00:00:00:00000, Apply defualt transition before loop is unchecked, duration is around a few seconds.

-Motion Menu Buttons, duration = 00;00;00;01

Thank You for any help/ideas. 

• 1. Re: Disc Menu Glitch in PE 9 Question
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jvc-mv

Just wanted to let you know that I had not overlooked your question and will be posting full details in the morning.

One of the major flaws in Premiere Elements 9, besides the display issue, was the disc menus and background replacements

for the disc menus. The following is some background material on the above

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 9: Disc Menu Lost Replacement Backgrounds

I need to look deeper into your specific details to rule out any tie ins to the above and to get at the core of your specific issue.

I did note what you wrote

I added a blank short audio clip because PE9 will not save your edited disc menus unless you assign some kind of audio clip file even if it's a muted sound)

More later.

ATR

• 2. Re: Disc Menu Glitch in PE 9 Question
            A.T. Romano Level 7

jvc-mv

What you have described for your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 disc menu situation is not normal.

Usual drill type:

1. Does problem exist with or without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

2. Are you running from User Account with Administrative Privileges as well as from Run As Administrator applied to the program's desktop icon?

I have looked at the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 disc menu issue that you described and cannot confirm your feature malfunctions.

I have looked at Still replacement for the menu background, using still formats of bmp, jpg, png, and psd. The pixel dimensions were 720 x 480 and up.

It is true that the previewing in the disc menu section is not always good, but you say that you see the same issue before and after burn to.

Here is what I would like you to explore

1. Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if that does not work, then delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure that Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives is active so that you can see the complete path cited.

2. If "1" has no impact on the situation, the delete the BadDrivers.txt file.

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in this 9.0 Folder should be the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. A new BadDrivers.txt file will be generated when you open Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 after the deletion.

Make sure that Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives is active so that you can see the complete path cited.

3. If "1" and "2" have no impact on the situation, then we start thinking in terms of uninstall, ccleaner run through, and reinstall.

For this approach, do you have your purchased serial number, installation files or installation disc? Did you install your disc menus

from Content installation disc or from Adobe using its Content download link?

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Disc Menu Glitch in PE 9 Question
              jvc-mv Level 1

Hi ATR,

I will try those options when I get the chance.  A few things I wanted to add-  I noticed when applying a longer sound file to the Disc Menue and Scene menus, the short glitch/shake and slight blurring of the background pic happens not as fast.  Btw I wonder if this is a common thing w/ Disc Menus  on any/all DVD's because of a slight loop.    I have not tried it w/o a sound file because that usually looses the background pic as previously discussed.

Also note, then when using the Slide Show disc menu in PE9, it makes a better full screen background pic, but when saved to the project, it makes the project crash anytime you re-open it.  If you use the rectangular menu w/ the gray/silver background (use that background or another pic), it does not make the project crash when trying to restart it.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Disc Menu Glitch in PE 9 Question
                A.T. Romano Level 7

jvc-mv

Thanks for the update.

I have not made any of the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 observations that you have mentioned. As an aside, not all the menus of 9 are afflicted by the replacement background issue, most, but not all. I started making a list. I will see if I can find it in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum thread where I was discussing the matter.

I am not clear on what you were telling me when you wrote

If you use the rectangular menu w/ the gray/silver background (use that background or another pic), it does not make the project crash when trying to restart it

Which menu is this "rectangular menu"?

I think I will get a better perspective of your situation once you have time to run through the suggestions in my posted numbered 2 of your thread.

More later.

ATR

• 5. Re: Disc Menu Glitch in PE 9 Question
                  jvc-mv Level 1

Hi ATR I finally was able to figure out what was causing the title menu in PE9 to cause this loop type situation, where the menu will pixelate or slightly move/blur, instead of staying still.  Apparently, if you just use one of the menus as is, it is fine.  However if you add a photo in the bacground (and you have to use the workaround, by adding a silent wav file in a loop in order for PE9 to save your background photos on the menus when buring to a DVD), that wav file now makes a loop which can make the background image & menu appear to go blurry for a second (probably from playing and replaying that file while on the DVD menu), & on a continued loop.  If only PE9 would not delete the custom background image in the first place, then I wouldn't have to deal w/ the loopy blurry menu effect. Anyway thank you for your help as always.

Hi ATR

• 6. Re: Disc Menu Glitch in PE 9 Question
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jvc-mv

Many thanks for following up in your thread.

Interesting report on what you found to be cause and effect and the details in between. I will take a look at what you are reporting. I did a lot of work on Premiere Elements 9.0 and those lost replacement background menus in the disc products and did not run into what you are describing with or without the audio fix for the lost background menus that targeted version 9. Version 9 is the only one that I have found with the lost replacement background problem in the burn to disc products.

Hope all is going well and that you are moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects.

I will re-read your entire thread in context what you have just written, do some exploring, and let you know the outcome.

Best wishes

ATR

• 7. Re: Disc Menu Glitch in PE 9 Question
                      jvc-mv Level 1

Yes, for some reason it does the background & font menu glitch on my computer whenever a sound file loop is added to the menu.  As far as crashing goes (on even earlier post), the crashing was because not enough empty space was on the HD, even tho it showed half free space- it wasn't the rectangluar menu style causing the crashing (w/ the brushed aluminum wide screen background).  [By the way I wanted to edit the last post (added "hi ATR" twice by accident) but seems to be difficult to do so on here.  Anyway thanks again for any follow-ups.