2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2014 2:56 PM by Rick Gerard

Problems to stabilize clip

Nord68

After effects CC 2014 hangs on stabilizing clips. What can I do to change that?

Skärmavbild 2014-10-06 kl. 14.01.58.png

System is

Skärmavbild 2014-10-06 kl. 14.06.29.png

• 1. Re: Problems to stabilize clip
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you try updating to 13.1?

If, after updating, you still have issues, give us some more information.

FAQ: What information should I provide?

• 2. Re: Problems to stabilize clip
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First let me state a fact. Some footage will not stabilize. Some will not stabilize well. Some footage works just fine. Many times it is hard to tell what will work and what won't. A shot of a boat on a lake on a windy day will probably not stabilize. A shot on the sidewalk walking through a crowd of people probably will not stabilize. A shot walking through the park with your dog in front of you probably will stabilize. I don't know what is happening in your shot but it looks like a good candidate for stabilization but all of the fine detail in the gravel may be giving you problems if there is moray patterns in the shot. If the trucks are all moving that may also give you problems.

Let me give you my workflow for stabilizing shots. First, I always do the stabilizing in a separate composition, never in a comp with a bunch of other things going on. Second, I always open my footage in the footage viewer by double clicking in the Project panel and set in and out points for the footage so that I'm only stabilizing the part of the shot that I'm going to use. Then I select the footage in the Project Panel and context click or go to File>New Comp From Selection. That's the comp that I stabilize, then I render a good DI using an appropriate production codec DO NOT use H.264 or any other compressed format. If that workflow fixes your project the you are good to go. If it does not then try cutting a few seconds off the head or tail of the shot and see how that works. If it still will not stabilize try using Mocha or AE's camera tracker to stabilize the shot, then do what you have to do to make the stabilized shot work in your project.