6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2014 8:53 AM by A.T. Romano

element 9 scaling - strange behavior

Liavsh

I was trying to create a screen cast with elements 9. A short 10 screen images video, where I insert 10 screen images one after the other. I then inserted a png of a mouse pointer, and used animation to show the user how the mouse clicks a certain area of the screen which then takes him to the following screen etc.

I know there are other SW to do this, but I preferred Elements this time beacuse of the ease of use of the scaling animation, which allows me to zoom in easily.

The thing is: when I was in editing mode, everything looked fine: I zoomed into an area, "sent" the mouse pointer to click on the zoomed in area, then zoomed out and so on.

BUT - when rendered, all mouse movements were chaotic. It seemed that elements did not send the mouse pointer to the zoomed in area I was looking at while editing, but rather to the original, zoomed out image, making my entire work useless.

Any idea why that happens?

• 1. Re: element 9 scaling - strange behavior
          A.T. Romano Level 7

liavsh

Let us dig into the project settings - importing and exporting. The answers will be in the details.

1. What project preset did you select in the New Project dialog to match the properties of your source files?

2. What were the properties of your source files (video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive,

file extension, pixel aspect ratio). A lot of that information might be gained from us knowing the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded

your video and the pixel dimensions of your stills.

3. What was your export choice - Share/Computer/and then what? Did you customize the preset that you selected (under Advanced Button/Video Tab of preset) or did you use the defaults for this export?

I suspect a conflict in your project settings so the above information (as detailed as possible) should rule in or out factors in the troubleshooting strategy.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: element 9 scaling - strange behavior
            Liavsh Level 1

Thank you for your reply.

I did not import any project. It's a simple project created from scratch.

imagine opening a new project, I see no significance in selecting a specific preset, inserting just two items: a still image (a jpg of a screen grab), and an additional image of a mouse pointer. Place them in the timeline one on top of the other.
            Zoom in the image to a certain area and make the mouse pointer move to point to a specific area of that image. Now publish as a video file to My computer (again, don't see the significance whether it's published to WMV/AVI etc).
            The 10 second result will display a video of the image as it zooms in, but the mouse pointer will not move to the area where you ordered it to go inside the zoomed-in area, but rather will move to the area as if the image was not zoomed in (say, a couple of centimeters off). So there you get 10 seconds of an image zooming in and a mouse pointer not zooming to where you told it to, although you clearly saw it functioning right in the previe, prior to publishing it.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: element 9 scaling - strange behavior
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Liavsh

You may see a post in your email notifications that does not appear in your thread at this point.

I have just deleted by reply to your post numbered 2. I have been thinking of your "rendered" as in export rather than Timeline previewing.

And, I want to re-think my response in terms of Timeline rendering.

But, please tell us, on what computer operating system your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is running?

More shortly.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: element 9 scaling - strange behavior
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Liavsh

Let me start anew. I was focusing on before and after export ill effects on the elements in your video. My focus needed to be on before and your keyframing of Motion Scale and Position for screen images and your png with a mouse pointer image.

Are you doing this keyframing using Properties Palette/Motion Panel expanded and the Motion and Position properties there? Or, are you doing the keyframing at the Timeline's video's rubberband level?

You wrote

The thing is: when I was in editing mode, everything looked fine: I zoomed into an area, "sent" the mouse pointer to click on the zoomed in area, then zoomed out and so on.

BUT - when rendered, all mouse movements were chaotic. It seemed that elements did not send the mouse pointer to the zoomed in area I was looking at while editing, but rather to the original, zoomed out image, making my entire work useless.

If you are zooming in and out across the duration of the video, the problem seems to be in the keyframing of the mouse pointer. Did you have the track with the mouse pointer selected when you were doing its keyframing?

Please review the above and then let me know if I am in sync with what you asked? If I am OK with your issue here, I will go through the workflow step by step if necessary on the keyframing.. Right now I am focusing on you having the correct track selected for the keyframing of the content on a particular track.

If I am way off base yet, please do not hesitate to let me know what I am overlooking.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: element 9 scaling - strange behavior
                  Liavsh Level 1

OK, I have this thing solved now.

Having ruled out the keyframing, I went back to look into the size and presets. I found that size does matter (though as a novice, I'd be happy to understand why).

images were captured at  1280x720.

project setting was a preset of HD 1080i.

The first and only publish i made was to wmv (LAN preset, 640x480), which is less than the above. I assumed that if the entire project seemed to work in timeline view, the published output resizes everything in proportion, regardless of the resolution I select.

I've just now tested other presets at 720 and higher (flv, avi, mpeg) and all went fine; whereas anything less than 720 gave me the same behavior I was complaining about.

So what am I missing? isn't a published video with scaling/ motion paths etc. supposed to function as seen in editing mode, regardless of resolution considerations?

I thank you once more for your patience here,

L.

• 6. Re: element 9 scaling - strange behavior
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

L

Great news based on what you wrote "...I have this thing solved now.". Great job.

When you write "...anything less than 720 gave me the same behavior I was complaining about.", that suggests to me that taking your 16:9 project to 4:3 was at the core of the problem, which is to be expected.

I originally focused in on project settings, but then put that on hold because of the message that I thought I was receiving from you about potential keyframing problems.

Best wishes moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR