• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What exactly do the "levels" in Browse Sequence Editor mean?

Mentor ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a ToC with three levels Unit > Lesson > Topic > Sub Topic. This ToC is coming from the linked FM. The ToC is paginated at Topic level and Sub Topic is basically a section within the Topic.

Now, I wanted my users to navigate through the course at sub topic level using Browse Sequence buttons. For example, in the screenshot shared below, I want the users to move from First Sub Heading sub topic to Second Sub Heading topic using Browse Sequence buttons. I thought I could achieve this by increasing the browse sequence levels. But that is not working. So, I am curious. What do these mean? Can I actually achieve my goal at all? If browse sequence level is not the correct way, can somebody please help me with the right approach?

BrowseSequenceIssue.png

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

So, with the Browse Sequence Editor, you are able to create multiple sequences. For example, perhaps you have multiple "paths" you can take Logically move from one topic to the next. In that case, multiple sequences would be helpful.

The option to use the "Levels" in the TOC will create a new Sequence for all topics in that level.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick. That is how I thought it would work and on that understanding, I specified "4" levels so that my learner can use the button to move from First Subheading to Second Subheading. But that is not working.

4 levels as per my screenshot/ understanding: Unit > Lesson > First-level heading > First Subheading.

Any idea why?

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Unless I'm misunderstanding, it sounds like you one one single sequence that would move from top to bottom of the TOC. I call these "page turners". To accomplish that goal, enter 0 for the levels and you should be set.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really Rick. I want a new sequence to be created at Subheading level, that is, the 4th level.  I will try to explain this further.

First level: I am on Unit 1. I click the Next button and I go to Unit 2. Works fine.

Second Level: I am on Lesson 1 of Unit 1. I click the Next button. I go to Lesson 2 of Unit 1. Works fine.

Third Level: I am on First-level heading of Unit 1 > Lesson 1. I click the Next button. I go to Second heading of Unit 1 > Lesson 1. Works fine.

Fourth Level: I am on First subheading of Unit 1 > Lesson 1 > First-level heading. I click the Next button. I must go to Second subheading of Unit 1 > Lesson 1 > First-level heading (which in my case is the Conditional text book). But it does not. Instead, it jumps from First subheading to Second-level heading.

Here is the screenshot again so that you don't have to scroll up.

BrowseSequenceIssue.png

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please note that if the automatic generation feature isn't working as you want, you are also able to adjust what is created once you auto generate a sequence. So with Browse Sequences, you get to choose which topic should link to any other topic. You may simply need to open the Browse Sequence editor and adjust things a bit using manual methods.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp