18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2014 8:28 AM by JohnBlase

InDesign 2014.1 update performance problems

henryhyde Level 1

I have today installed the 2014.1 InDesign updates and now I have the spinning beach ball of doom appearing repeatedly. this has never happened before with Indesign, which has always been incredibly responsive. Something as simple as scrolling the page sets this off, even on "Typical" rather than "High quality" display setting.

Incredibly frustrating – anyone else suffering? Advice please!

I'm on an iMac 3.4Ghz Intel Core 17 with 32Gb 1600MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB and running OS X 10.9.5 and over 2TB of hard drive free.

• 1. Re: InDesign 2014.1 update performance problems
          will8338

Exactly the same issue for me !

Capture d’écran 2014-10-09 à 14.27.49.png

• 2. Re: InDesign 2014.1 update performance problems
            Frans van der Geest (ACP) Adobe Community Professional

Do you have any hyperlinks to websites in your document? Those brought my InDesign October release to a crawl, unusable. Deleted the links, then added them again solved it for me in some documents, but something seems at fault here indeed.

• 4. Re: InDesign 2014.1 update performance problems
              Javed_ali Adobe Employee

Hi,

Sorry to see you facing problems with the latest update to InDesign. This was definitely not intended.

I would like to ask you some questions so that we can figure out the cause of the problem:

1. Is the slowness happening with all the files that you are creating in InDesign CC 2014.1 or are there some specific files for which this is happening.

2. If it is the latter case can you share with me the files in which you are facing the issue. Please send across the files at the ID sharewithid@adobe.com

3. Also is the slowness observed with all the operations or are there some specific operations as mentioned by you scrolling being one of them

Thanks & Regards

Javed

• 5. Re: InDesign 2014.1 update performance problems

Hi Javed,

I just send you a download link to a test file that has this problem

• 6. Re: InDesign 2014.1 update performance problems
                  henryhyde Level 1

Hi Javed and thanks for responding.

1. I'm working one one major file at the moment, which is a magazine. I've not had time to check other files, and since my deadline is tomorrow, that's going to have to wait!

2. Happy to send the files, but it's going to be big! The InDesign document is currently about 60Mb, and for it to make sense I'll have to package the whole thing up with the assets and send via WeTransfer. Again, that will have to wait until I've finished the job, so perhaps tomorrow or Saturday morning (here in the UK).

3. Scrolling seems to be the main problem, but also simply deselecting one object and then trying to select another brings the beach ball of doom. I think it's happened when zooming in and out as well – obviously a problem with changing what's shown on screen. InDesign has always responded so instantaneously that this is very alarming.

• 7. Re: InDesign 2014.1 update performance problems

Strangest thing: On my Mac I have one hyperlink in my document, it is valid (green dot) but slows down InDesign to a crawl. Deleting the hyperlink solves it.

But now for the strange thing: I opened the same document under Windows, there I get a faulty link: a red question Mark! And no slowdown. I edited the hyperlink under windows to direct again to the same site, a green dot again and no delays.

So... something goes wrong in validating faulty links on my Mac and that causes slow downs to a crawl...

• 8. Re: InDesign 2014.1 update performance problems
                      henryhyde Level 1

Incidentally, I just checked and my document has absolutely no live hyperlinks.

• 9. Re: InDesign 2014.1 update performance problems
                        Javed_ali Adobe Employee

Frans van der Geest (ACP) wrote:

Strangest thing: On my Mac I have one hyperlink in my document, it is valid (green dot) but slows down InDesign to a crawl. Deleting the hyperlink solves it.

But now for the strange thing: I opened the same document under Windows, there I get a faulty link: a red question Mark! And no slowdown. I edited the hyperlink under windows to direct again to the same site, a green dot again and no delays.

So... something goes wrong in validating faulty links on my Mac and that causes slow downs to a crawl...

Actually this seems to be one among the known issues which is also present in CC 2014. This problem arises when you have Hyperlinks in a document which point to destinations in another document which is closed.

What you can do if this is the case: Open that Hyperlink and if it is "shared destination" make it unshared by uncheck the shared Destination Hyperlink, or create the hyperlink destination in the same document.

I havent checked your document yet (will do soon) but this is one thing that may be the problem for you also hence mentioned.

Re: InDesign CC 9.2 - New Hyperlinks panel - Unresponsive, Slow, Crash

We are investigating and working on this issue.

Regards

Javed

• 10. Re: InDesign 2014.1 update performance problems

Yes, but this was one web-hyperlink to the log in on Creative cloud, not another document.

• 11. Re: InDesign 2014.1 update performance problems
                            [Eduardo Moura]

I was having terrible performance in InDesign 10.1 too, but I'm on Windows 7 x64 and the workaround was to run InDesign as Administrator. I tried everything, including trashing preferences, removing and reinstalling, etc. The only way to make it work was elevating it's privileges (not the safest thing to do). To make things worse, I had to run Bridge as Admin too just to be able to drag-and-drop images in my document. It wouldn't work otherwise.

Maybe that all points out to some permissions-related bug in the Creative Cloud installer.

• 12. Re: InDesign 2014.1 update performance problems
                              ccarranza1978

Hi everyone I recently update to 2014.1 and I can't open any file.

Every time I tried to open a file InDesign Crashes. Any ideas??

Thx.

• 13. Re: InDesign 2014.1 update performance problems
                                Javed_ali Adobe Employee

Hi,

I am sorry to see you facing problems with the latest version of InDesign.

1. Have you tried clearing the prefs\caches of InDesign CC 2014.1. You can learn how to from here.

2. Can you please also mention the platform and OS that you are using.

3. Also mention any other applications presence like some font managers etc which may be interacting with InDesign.

Regards

Javed

• 14. Re: InDesign 2014.1 update performance problems

HI Javed,

no it was only one hyperlink cauding this. I use no auto-activation for any font manager (I know the Suitcase problems in the past), using iMac 2013, i7, 32 GB RAM, 2TB fusion drive.

Again, for some reason the hyperlink showed up as green, but on another computer as red. It was a hyperlink to a website ((http) not to another document (no cross refs). And I believe you checked the document yourself that I send you. The 'false' hyperlink was the only cause here.

• 15. Re: Re: InDesign 2014.1 update performance problems
                                    Javed_ali Adobe Employee

Yes Frans, for your case it was the Hyperlink as you mentioned that may have caused the problem.

The message above i posted was in response to ccarranza1978.

For your specific case i could not see the issue for my self as the file that you sent across had a missing Hyperlink. But you mentioned that creating the Hyperlink again solved the problem for you.

On clicking on the Hyperlink of the document sent across i got the following dialog

Capture.PNG

What this dialog is saying here is that the document that contains the Hyperlink Destination for this particular Hyperlink is missing.

Hyperlinks can be made of 2 types

1. Hyperlink -->> Hyperlink Destination -->> URL (Hyperlink Destinations can be of 3 types URL, Text Anchor, Page)

2. Hyperlink -->> Hyperlink URL (These can be of 5 types URL, Text Anchor, Page, File, Email )

When you create a Hyperlink by default it first creates a Hyperlink Destination and then makes the Hyperlink Point to it unless you uncheck the check box of Shared Destination in the Hyperlink Dialog

It appears that the Hyperlink Destination in the document you sent across is present in another document hence it is shown as green on the system that has that document and shown as red on the document which does not have this document.

Also the slowness is for this very reason, which is a Bug that for such cases InDesign currently opens the document having the Hyperlink Destination in the background to check the status of the URL and show it in the Hyperlink Panel hence the slowness. The more numbe\size\complexity of the files referred by the Hyperlinks panel the more is the slowness that you will observe.

Regards

Javed

• 16. Re: Re: InDesign 2014.1 update performance problems

AH, right. Oke Javed, very clear, thanks!

• 17. Re: Re: InDesign 2014.1 update performance problems
                                        ccarranza1978 Level 1

Hi Mohammed thx for the fast response.

I tried tried everything, but it seems the problem was with Em Software DocFlows Plugin, I Uninstall everything, reinstall and update my plugins.

Now everything runs great.

Thx a lot!!

PS The color theme tool RULES!!!

• 18. Re: InDesign 2014.1 update performance problems
                                          JohnBlase

I managed to solve the same issue by doing this too.  Very strange bug.