4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2014 4:09 PM by ssprengel

cannot import pictures into Lightroom 5.6

rimrockrancher

Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 12.19.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-06 at 12.19.40 PM.png                                   I have not been able to download into Lightroom lately.  I took a course on LR and the only thing I remember changing is that I imported into a subfolder on my desktop.  The next time I downloaded, I unchecked that box and expected it to download as always.  Now, Lightroom "imports" my RAW photos in about 15 seconds and an "Import Results" box pops up with the following message:  "Some import operations were not performed.  The following files were not imported because they could not be read. (133)"  So my 133 photos are still on my camera.  Any help would certainly be appreciated.  Thank you

• 1. Re: cannot import pictures into Lightroom 5.6
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

“Cannot be read” means that the LR Import phase couldn’t read the files that should have been copied during the Copy phase of the import, so that implies something went wrong with the Copy part.  Usually it is a problem with the destination specification, where LR cannot create folders or copy files to the destination.  It looks like you're trying to copy to a 2014 folder at the root of your hard-drive.  Does such a folder exist, already?  Should the 2014 be a subfolder of another folder?  I'm not a Mac user but I'm suspicious that the root of your hard drive may be off limits and you have to copy things to somewhere under your users folder.

In your screenshots it looks like there are 267 images, but the error are for half-minus-one of that.  Does that mean half the images were copied and half weren’t, or are the screenshots from different Import attempts?

• 2. Re: cannot import pictures into Lightroom 5.6
            rimrockrancher Level 1

I am fairly new to all this and had honestly never paid any attention where the images went when they were imported into Lightroom, so I do not know the answer to your question about the folders.  That's why I included that screen shot to maybe help someone figure out what I need to do.

I am figuring that the 133 images were the new imports and that some had imported just fine the day before.  They were both screen shots from today.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: cannot import pictures into Lightroom 5.6

I am questioning why there are 267 photos listed at the lower left of the Import screen grid:

But the second screenshot with the error message only lists 133 as having errors:

Are your screenshots from two separate imports or why is one count twice+1 the other?

I mean your options are New Photos not All Photos so it would seem like there should only be 133 New Photos on the first screenshot.  Maybe it wasn't finished looking for duplicates when you made the screenshot?

• 4. Re: cannot import pictures into Lightroom 5.6

I guess the overall question is are you importing to the same location you were before you temporarily changed t he location to your desktop or are you trying to import to a completely different location?

Has anything happened with LR or your computer between when you imported to the original location when it seemed to work and now when you're trying to do it, again?  Did you update your OS or LR or create a new user profile on your Mac?

I suspect the permissions LR has to the 2014 folder don't allow writing photos to it.  Does that folder have subfolders that contain other photos you've imported previously or are there two 2014 folders and the other one is somewhere else?

Have you checked the permissions for the 2014 folder to see if they are what you expect?  Have you tried doing a repair permissions on that folder to see if that fixes things?