• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

If RH Server's database goes down, does RH Server go down also?

Participant ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi experts. I've a couple RH Server questions:

1. Supposing RH Server's database fails, or at least it's connection to the database fails. What would be the consequences. That is, would RH Server crash and not serve up anything. Or, would it simply be that reports are no longer accessible, etc.
  2. Has anyone used RH Server (installed on a Win 7 system) connected to a SQL Server Express instance (installed on another Win 7 system to spread CPU load).

My IT Manager is very leery of the free database option (for performance/reliability reasons), but there's no way we're going to spend almost 20K$ on SQL Server or Oracle DB. So, I'd like to allay his concerns about the SQL Service Express option.

Thanks in advance.

-Kurt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014
  1. Rh Server *is* a database-driven application and as such it requires a database be up and working for both serving content as well as reporting.
  2. Your IT person raises good points. I have used the "SQL Express" version without issues. As your IT person already knows, there are certain Microsoft connection and size limitations on its use. Otherwise it would be better than Access and assuming it fits the other DB/OS combination requirements I noted in the links above.
  3. Unless something has changed, t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  1. Rh Server *is* a database-driven application and as such it requires a database be up and working for both serving content as well as reporting.
  2. Your IT person raises good points. I have used the "SQL Express" version without issues. As your IT person already knows, there are certain Microsoft connection and size limitations on its use. Otherwise it would be better than Access and assuming it fits the other DB/OS combination requirements I noted in the links above.
  3. Unless something has changed, the open-source Apache Tomcat Server itself does not support "Load Balancing" and so I don't think you can "spread the CPU load". Although I am not that network savvy, so a call to Adobe support (asking to be escalated for Rh Server-specific assistance) to verify this would be a good idea. That said, I know organizations that have set up "fault tolerance" configurations to their satisfaction (but can't be more specific than that.)

Thanks

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

Evergreen, Colorado

303-670-8955

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp