12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2014 4:18 PM by tracyvalleau

Oct 6 update to PS 2014 vs Mac: app lock up (network barrier blocking the Welcome screen)

tracyvalleau

Oct 6 update to PS 2014 vs Mac: lock up and my pseudo-fix

I'm on a Mac, using 10.9.5. When I launch today's (10/6/2014) update, it launches, but the instant I move my mouse, it locks up with the spinning beach ball.  I reset preferences; rebooted; restarted without plugins and even deleted and reinstalled.

No change.  Even with my pseudo fix, it still happens... but here's how I can get it to run.

Run activity monitor and you'll find that there are processes named CEPHtmlEngine. They are (at least in my case) marked as "(not responding)".

Kill those processes and PS comes back to life. (Killing AdobeCrashDaemon might help too, but it seems that only CEPHtmlEngine really needs to die.)

Unfortunately, I have to do this every time I launch PS, but at least it seems to work for me.

HTH

• 1. Re: Oct 6 update to PS 2014 vs Mac: lock up & my pseudo-fix gets it running.
          Mark VerMurlen Adobe Employee

The CEPHTMLEngine is used for a number of service features in Photoshop.  By terminating it, you are disabling a number of features without knowing it.  Since the Oct. release is all brand new, it needs to load and cache a number of files.  My suggestion would be to launch Ps and go get a cup of coffee and let if fully initialize.  You may also want to do this when you have a fast reliable internet connection.  I would then expect subsequent launches to take much less time.  If you still have performance problems, you can then turn off things like the Welcome screen and some of the other HTML based features.  Photoshop is probably also rebuilding font lists and other things too, so I would expect these to also get faster if you let it fully initialize once.

Best regards,

Mark VerMurlen

Adobe Engineering

• 2. Re: Oct 6 update to PS 2014 vs Mac: lock up & my pseudo-fix gets it running.
            tracyvalleau Level 1

I'll give it a go, but 1) my internet is at 137Mbps; 2) the dock says "application not responding" 3)  my MenuMeters shows no disk activity.

I've given it 5 minutes. I'll give it 20 and see what happens...

• 3. Re: Oct 6 update to PS 2014 vs Mac: lock up & my pseudo-fix gets it running.

If you've given it 5 minutes, that's more than enough time.  I don't think its worth your time to try to wait for 20 minutes.  Can you take a full screen shot and post what it looks like so we can see where its stalling?

Mark

• 4. Re: Oct 6 update to PS 2014 vs Mac: lock up & my pseudo-fix gets it running.
                tracyvalleau Level 1

Sure, but a screenshot of what?  It looks like it always does; the full interface comes up. It looks like it's ready to run, but just touching the mouse leads to a spinning beach ball.  If that's what you want a screenshot of, I'm happy to oblige. Perhaps one with the beach ball, and one after killing CEPHtml...?

The console has many, many system diagnostic Reports labeled "Adobe Photoshop CC 2014-10-06-(number)_MyQuad.hang.  (Where "MyQuad" is the name of my machine.)

There are in that (console entry), dozens of threads started. (It's over 700 lines, but I'll pack it up for you if you like.)

And wondering if the update assumes something I might not have: I never activated the "Adobe cloud" feature, since I really don't want my photos on your servers. Is it looking for some reply it's never getting?

HTH. Tell me what to do next.

• 5. Re: Oct 6 update to PS 2014 vs Mac: lock up & my pseudo-fix gets it running.

The CEPHtmlEngine is used for the new Welcome screen and the new Libraries panel.  Its also used for Share on Behance.  If the Welcome screen frame is drawing, but not the contents, that would give us a clue.  If the Libraries panel is in some intermediate state of drawing, that might also give us a clue.  That's why I was looking for a full screen shot so I could see if any of these pieces of the UI give a clue.

When you say you've never activated the "Adobe cloud" feature, I assume that you mean you haven't turned on the file sharing capabilities.  That's fine and shouldn't involve the CEPHtmlEngine.  You do need to be signed into the creative cloud.

Mark

• 6. Re: Oct 6 update to PS 2014 vs Mac: lock up & my pseudo-fix gets it running.
                    tracyvalleau Level 1

Great minds... as your reply came in, I'd just finished doing a ScreenFlow recording. As it turns out, if I quickly grab the main PS window and drag it down, I can see behind it, right after I kill the CEPHtml, a "Welcome" window appear briefly, and then fade out.  There is nothing in it.   Here's a screenshot of the screenshot...  (I didn't see it before because it never came forward, and was hidden behind the main window. As I said, to see it, I have to first kill CEPHtml...

welcome.jpeg

• 7. Re: Oct 6 update to PS 2014 vs Mac: lock up & my pseudo-fix gets it running.
                      tracyvalleau Level 1

After your last, I did a kill as usual, and tried all the items under the Help menu.  It might be no surprise that everything worked -except- the Welcome window, which immediately caused the beach ball/pinwheel of death. Killing the CEP... activity returned functionality.

What am I loosing by killing them?

• 8. Re: Oct 6 update to PS 2014 vs Mac: lock up & my pseudo-fix gets it running.

Ok.  So it looks like something is going wrong with the Welcome screen.  The Welcome screen pulls HTML/CSS/JS files from an Adobe server, much like a browser would do.  Tell me more about your network configuration.  Are you within a corporate network that might be blocking certain sites?  Could you be at a cafe where you have to view some ad or acknowledge some notice before they'll allow an internet connection?  Are you someone that's really torqued down your network security settings to not allow certain communications?  (If you don't know what this might be, then you probably haven't done it.)  We had one of our pre-release users with a bad virus scanning app that was halfway uninstalled that was causing him problems, so it could even be something like that.

Mark

• 9. Re: Oct 6 update to PS 2014 vs Mac: lock up & my pseudo-fix gets it running.
                          tracyvalleau Level 1

I'm a photographer (and retired computer programmer) working at home. My internet is via Comcast. I have no difficulty with any other access that I know of. My browsers and sites are working fine, AFAIK. My setup is not tweaked. I will look into that virus suggestion, however, since I do not see it (as I normally do) in my menubar. (I've installed Intego's product some years ago, but generally keep it off, relying more on my router and common sense ...)

I'll try an install/uninstall of it and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 10. Re: Oct 6 update to PS 2014 vs Mac: lock up & my pseudo-fix gets it running.
                            tracyvalleau Level 1

BINGO!  :-)

I uninstalled Intego's Security Suite and then re-installed it (and rebooted.)

Now everything is working as expected.

Thanks for your help, courtesy, and patience, Mark.

• 11. Re: Oct 6 update to PS 2014 vs Mac: lock up & my pseudo-fix gets it running.
                              Level 7

Ah, the security software was interfering with the welcome screen's ability to download the data it needed.

Hmm, we'll have to do some testing with similar software to try and recognize such problems (and recover from them more quickly) in the future.

• 12. Re: Oct 6 update to PS 2014 vs Mac: lock up & my pseudo-fix gets it running.
                                tracyvalleau Level 1

If it helps, the software was preventing the CEPHtmlEngine from even

trying to reach the net. I have LittleSnitch installed, and when the

problem existed, I never saw a notice of attempt to connect.

Reinstalling the software gave me a warning about CEPHtmlEngine

requesting access.

I had the Netbarrier/VirusBarrier suite, and a month or so ago, I

uninstalled Netbarrier (only) using their software. (Virus Barrier was

turned off.)

Today I uninstalled everything and then reinstalled it. That seemed to

fix it. Both of them are listed as turned off.

Hope these clues help track it down.  Thanks again.

Tracy

www.valleau.gallery