12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2015 1:20 AM by john beardsworth

Will somebody please post an Aperture-written xmp file *with* custom metadata in it - thanks.

areohbee Level 5

It is my understanding that Adobe's migration tool will NOT support transferal of custom metadata from Aperture to Lightroom.

I have recently enhanced my Custom Metadata plugin to read custom metadata from Expression Media xmp, and it seems like a no-brainer to have a "preset" which can read/import/transfer custom metadata from Aperture xmp too - I just need a sample to work with - thanks.

If you don't want to post here, please send directly to me.

robcole.com - Contact Me

Rob

• 1. Re: Will somebody please post an Aperture-written xmp file *with* custom metadata in it - thanks.
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rob Cole wrote:

It is my understanding that Adobe's migration tool will NOT support transferal of custom metadata from Aperture to Lightrooom

And how do you understand that? Ok, Lightroom doesn't have custom fields in its UI, but Adobe haven't said anything about what the migration tool will do.

Anyway, unless I've missed something, Aperture doesn't write custom metadata to its xmp files. While very few Aperture users use custom fields, the best way to get this data out of Aperture is by running an AppleScript in Aperture and copying the data to a standard Iptc field.

• 2. Re: Will somebody please post an Aperture-written xmp file *with* custom metadata in it - thanks.
            areohbee Level 5

I am trying to support people who want to migrate custom metadata in Aperture to custom metadata in Lightroom (so as not to use IPTC fields).

It was my understanding that such metadata could be saved from Aperture to XMP (using the Adobe-defined xmp-extension mechanism, which is NOT supported in Lightroom), like in Expression Media, and some others..

So, it would help me to help such people if I could get a sample of such XMP (containing custom metadata).

If Aperture does NOT support writing custom metadata to XMP (at this point, I don't even remember why I think that it does), it would be good to know what mechanism it does support for exporting custom metadata.

Thanks,

Rob

• 3. Re: Will somebody please post an Aperture-written xmp file *with* custom metadata in it - thanks.

As I just told you, Aperture doesn't write custom metadata to xmp, and offers no way to export it.

The very few Aperture users who use custom fields should look into writing an AppleScript to copy the info to an IPTC field.

• 4. Re: Will somebody please post an Aperture-written xmp file *with* custom metadata in it - thanks.

<?xpacket begin='' id=''?>

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x='adobe:ns:meta/' x:xmptk='XMP toolkit 2.9-9, framework 1.6'>

<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf='http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#' xmlns:iX='http://ns.adobe.com/iX/1.0/'>

<rdf:Description rdf:about='' xmlns:Iptc4xmpCore='http://iptc.org/std/Iptc4xmpCore/1.0/xmlns/'>

</rdf:Description>

<rdf:Description rdf:about='' xmlns:photoshop='http://ns.adobe.com/photoshop/1.0/'>

<rdf:Description rdf:about='' xmlns:dc='http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/'>

<dc:creator><rdf:Seq><rdf:li>John Beardsworth</rdf:li></rdf:Seq></dc:creator>

<dc:rights><rdf:Alt><rdf:li xml:lang='x-default'>John Beardsworth</rdf:li></rdf:Alt></dc:rights>

<rdf:Description rdf:about='' xmlns:photomechanic='http://ns.camerabits.com/photomechanic/1.0/'>

<rdf:Description rdf:about='' xmlns:xap='http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/'>

<xap:Rating>0</xap:Rating>

</rdf:RDF>

</x:xmpmeta>

<?xpacket end='w'?>

See if you can find a custom field in this - there was one in Aperture.

• 5. Re: Will somebody please post an Aperture-written xmp file *with* custom metadata in it - thanks.
                  areohbee Level 5

Thank you for the information John (now if you could just lose the attitude..).

So, perhaps the best way for Aperture users to migrate custom metadata to Lightroom (as custom metadata) is to find a way to export it (e.g. Applescript, Aperture plugin..) in CSV format, to be read by Lightroom plugin.

PS - Although it's theoretically possible that Adobe's migration script will support transfer to custom metadata fields in Lightroom, the odds are approximately nil that it will (right: I don't know for sure..).

Definition of custom metadata:

* in Aperture: metadata user defined to not occupy standard IPTC fields (supported natively by Aperture).

* in Lightroom: metadata user defines via a plugin, to not occupy standard IPTC fields (no native support in Lr proper).

PPS - If you are able to transfer your custom metadata in Aperture to IPTC fields in Lightroom, they could still be transferred from there to a preferred home in custom metadata, so nothing would be lost as long as you choose IPTC fields you know to be free.

Rob

• 6. Re: Will somebody please post an Aperture-written xmp file *with* custom metadata in it - thanks.

It's not worth bothering with. I've questioned many Aperture users on how they used custom fields, and only a tiny minority do so. Only a few of that number use them for valuable information, and the best route for them would be to use AppleScript to copy the info to IPTC fields, which I know is technically-possible. You could try interrogating the aplibrary's SQL, if  you really want to waste your time.

• 7. Re: Will somebody please post an Aperture-written xmp file *with* custom metadata in it - thanks.
                      areohbee Level 5

Lotsa Lightroom users use custom metadata for valuable information (right: way under half, but still - plenty..).

Regardless of how many Aperture users use custom metadata for valuable information, those that do will need to (or want to anyway) transfer the data to Lightroom.

To summarize the options I can think of now:

1. Transfer custom metadata in Aperture to IPTC fields (e.g. using applescript), then use 'Transfer Metadata' function of 'Custom Metadata' plugin to transfer to final destination - custom metadata in Lightroom.

2.  Transfer custom metadata to CSV file(s), then use 'Import from CSV' function of 'Custom Metadata' plugin.

If anybody knows of any actual apple-scripts that are available, or Aperture plugins (or aplibrary's SQL..), that will do either of the above two jobs (transfer custom metadata in Aperture to..), please inform - thanks.

Rob

• 8. Re: Will somebody please post an Aperture-written xmp file *with* custom metadata in it - thanks.

That's just misinformation.

Don't pretend you're being helpful when you've obviously not used Aperture, don't know how little this feature is used, and don't know that Aperture's Export Metadata command omits custom metadata anyway. So to go the CSV route you'd need an AppleScript to extract the data to a text file and then even more screwing around with your plug-in to get the info into Lightroom. Great advice...not.

There's only one sensible way for this negligible number of Aperture users to get their custom metadata to Lightroom, and that's to write a script to copy the metadata to an IPTC field. It's discussed here and here and this is the script people could adapt. It's not rocket science to hack it, but no-one seems to have bothered.

• 9. Re: Will somebody please post an Aperture-written xmp file *with* custom metadata in it - thanks.
                          areohbee Level 5

John,

I'm trying to make sure Aperture users with custom metadata have a way to get it into Lightroom as custom metadata, whether you consider their numbers to be negligible or not.

Your assessment of my motives is wrong, and I don't appreciate your repeated attempts to defame my character in the forum.

Although I really dislike you personally, I greatly appreciate the link to the script - thank you.

Rob

• 10. Re: Will somebody please post an Aperture-written xmp file *with* custom metadata in it - thanks.
                            areohbee Level 5

To attempt a wrap-up for this thread:

Aperture does NOT provide a means to save custom metadata in XMP - the initial premise of this thread was incorrect: a thank you to John Beardsworth for setting me straight. Specific question asked has been answered.

The purpose for the thread however was to learn how to get information out of Aperture so it can be gotten into Lightroom (final destination: custom metadata fields).

Here is one way to get custom metadata in Aperture to custom metadata in Lightroom, recommended if you have enough free IPTC fields to house the custom data temporarily:

* Create an applescript file with the following contents, modified to support your custom metadata fields; note: it must also be modified to specify the IPTC fields to be used:

tell application “Aperture”

set imageSel to the selection

repeat with i from 1 to count of imageSel

tell library 1

tell item i of imageSel

set customFieldValue to value of custom tag "myCustomFieldName"

set value of IPTC tag "myFreeIptcFieldName" to customFieldValue

end tell

end tell

end repeat

end tell

Note: you must adapt script depending on your custom fields, and which IPTC fields you have free.

* Select photos in Aperture.

* Execute the script.

* Once photos are in Lightroom, with IPTC fields populated.., then in Lr's plugin manager, with 'Custom Metadata' plugin selected, click 'Transfer Metadata' button, then "follow the yellow-brick road" (you will be prompted with instructions..). Metadata will be transferred from IPTC fields to custom metadata in Lightroom.

If you do NOT have sufficient IPTC fields to use, or would rather not use IPTC fields for this, then you'd have to modify the script to populate a row in a CSV file for each photo, then use the 'Import from CSV' function in Custom Metadata plugin. I can help if it comes to this..

PS - There may be other ways as well, but maybe this is enough..

Rob

• 11. Re: Will somebody please post an Aperture-written xmp file *with* custom metadata in it - thanks.
                              aafisher

John,

Please don't assume this project is a waste of time simply because it does not benefit you.

I, on the other hand, have over 270,000 images in my Aperture libraries, and I use custom metadata fields extensively to track things like copyright registration status, certificate number, date of first publication, publication of first use, licensees, model/property releases and use restrictions. Not only are these all highly important criteria for a professional photographer to track, but they are also confidential and thus inappropriate to store in IPTC fields.

I have remained dismayed that a program such as Lightroom, which claims to be designed for professional photographers, could have overlooked something so important as being able to track this kind of info. I have posted several times the developer and beta threads, requesting that new application versions include custom fields, and that the migration tool be able to address Aperture's custom fields.

For years now, the primary reason stopping me from migrating to Lightroom is that I have been unable to find a robust way to migrate this crucially valuable information, along with the images. Rob is obviously not addressing you, he's addressing people like me, for whom his project is paramount. Please do not thwart his efforts or those of anyone else interested in progressing this project. I don't see how he's wasting your time.

Thank you, Rob, for persistence. I will contact you through your blog.

• 12. Re: Will somebody please post an Aperture-written xmp file *with* custom metadata in it - thanks.

"Please don't assume this project is a waste of time simply because it does not benefit you."

I don't assume anything - I judge on the basis of significantly more knowledge of Aperture than the OP. Second, I'm saying the proposed method, not the project, is the waste of time. Third, it's not my time he will waste - but his own and Aperture users'.

See the existing methods I reference. As his wrap-up pretty well accepts, they do the job better and faster.