0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2014 1:13 PM by DanielArnett

Windows: After Effects has crashed <GPUManager> <2> (Solved)

DanielArnett

I had a problem of After Effects crashing as described below and I wanted to post the solution here.

I've been online with tech support for the past few days trying to figure this out. For some reason whenever I started After Effects it would give me the error After Effects has crashed <GPUManager> <2> and it would crash on the loading screen.

This crash occurred because of a file called ImageRenderer.dll. It turned out to be a problem related between my Graphics card, Operating System, CUDA, and After Effects. I looked in the Event Viewer and found this error message:
      Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2014\Support Files\ImageRenderer.dll

I tried reinstalling AE, CUDA, and my Graphics Card's drivers (an NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti) multiple times, rebooted multiple times, and finally broke down and called Adobe Tech support.

After getting passed around to the right person, Navdeep, we eventually worked together to find the solution.

Solution: Update Windows.

I was running a basic Windows 7 build without any service updates or anything and for some reason AE just didn't play well with that. I updated to Windows 8.1 and that solved the issue, although I imagine just downloading the Windows 7 service packs and updating the OS would likely be the simplest solution.