14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2007 11:07 AM by Newsgroup_User

Authoring Problems in Vista

MECS Level 1
      I'd like to hear from those who are currently authoring programs using Director in Vista. What kinds of problems are you having (if any), and have you found fixes for them?

I have done a cursory search for Vista patches from Adobe and haven't found any. I don't know if that means none are neede, or just that none are available, yet.

Thanks.
        • 1. Authoring Problems in Vista
          SafariTECH Level 1
          I am currently working on a project with Director MX 2004 (10.1) in Vista Ultimate.

So far I am having no actual problems within Director, but there are some known (potential) issues with certain Xtras that access the system due to permissions and security changes in Vista. BuddyAPI is one of the Xtras that could have major issues on Vista w/o proper permissions etc.

The BuddyAPI site has an actual Vista Xtra for some new functions, as well as a guide on what to do to configure your project for Vista users so it does not run into roadblocks.

Aside from that, no problems so far.

Are you having any specific issues? I may be able to shed some light depending on what it is.
          • 2. Re: Authoring Problems in Vista
            Level 7
            I am about to upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Are you using 32-bit or
            64-bit Vista?

"SafariTECH" <contact@safaritech.com> wrote in message
            news:ev7d9n$oho$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I am currently working on a project with Director MX 2004 in Vista
            >Ultimate.
            >
            > So far I am having no actual problems within Director, but there are some
            > known (potential) issues with certain Xtras that access the system due to
            > permissions and security changes in Vista. BuddyAPI is one of the Xtras
            > that
            > could have major issues on Vista w/o proper permissions etc.
            >
            > The BuddyAPI site has an actual Vista Xtra for some new functions, as well
            > as
            > a guide on what to do to configure your project for Vista users so it does
            > not
            > run into roadblocks.
            >
            > Aside from that, no problems so far.
            >
            > Are you having any specific issues? I may be able to shed some light
            > depending
            > on what it is.
            >

• 3. Re: Authoring Problems in Vista
              MECS Level 1
              Thanks for the response. That's good news.

I'm not actually having problems currently because I have not yet switched to Vista. I'm just trying to lay the ground work for doing so. In the past, upgrading to the various versions of Windows has induced problems in my existing Director projects. So I was hoping this time such might not be the case.

Somewhere on the internet I had read that problems in authoring with Director in Vista included an inability to drag and drop, cut and paste, and some others I don't recall. Apparently that is not the case.

Dewey
              • 4. Re: Authoring Problems in Vista
                SafariTECH Level 1
                I am running the 64 bit version of Vista Ultimate ... Director runs as a 32 bit app.

Aside from windows System functions/Services, pretty much any 32 bit app can run on a 64 bit platform.

I suggest you make certain your account on Vista is an Administrator account though, especially as a developer.

quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                I am about to upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Are you using 32-bit or
                64-bit Vista?

"SafariTECH" <contact@safaritech.com> wrote in message
                news:ev7d9n$oho$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >I am currently working on a project with Director MX 2004 in Vista
                >Ultimate.
                >
                > So far I am having no actual problems within Director, but there are some
                > known (potential) issues with certain Xtras that access the system due to
                > permissions and security changes in Vista. BuddyAPI is one of the Xtras
                > that
                > could have major issues on Vista w/o proper permissions etc.
                >
                > The BuddyAPI site has an actual Vista Xtra for some new functions, as well
                > as
                > a guide on what to do to configure your project for Vista users so it does
                > not
                > run into roadblocks.
                >
                > Aside from that, no problems so far.
                >
                > Are you having any specific issues? I may be able to shed some light
                > depending
                > on what it is.
                >

• 5. Authoring Problems in Vista
                  SafariTECH Level 1
                  Cutting and pasting members/sprites etc has not produced any issues thus far ... aside from dragging sprites, I haven;t tried much dragging/dropping ... but what I have done seems ok.

There is, apparently, an issue if you plan on working on a project that ties into DirectX (i.e. 3d projects). My current project does not yet need any direct interaction with DirectX so I am not able to validate that claim, but I suspect that some people having these issues with Director are running on Vista limited accounts.

So far I have had very good success with audio (SWA), database usage (INM), forms, BuddyAPI, browser integration (JP), OSControl, as well as the mass majority of standard controls/members.

As a developer, you should make sure you run Vista as an Administrator and no less. this would alleviate many of the security concerns that may be arising for other people.

quote:

Originally posted by: MECS
                  Thanks for the response. That's good news.

I'm not actually having problems currently because I have not yet switched to Vista. I'm just trying to lay the ground work for doing so. In the past, upgrading to the various versions of Windows has induced problems in my existing Director projects. So I was hoping this time such might not be the case.

Somewhere on the internet I had read that problems in authoring with Director in Vista included an inability to drag and drop, cut and paste, and some others I don't recall. Apparently that is not the case.

Dewey

• 6. Re: Authoring Problems in Vista
                    MECS Level 1
                    Tha'ts good information. Thank you.

My projects also utilize the mpeg Advanced Xtra for videos. Do you have any experience with that Xtra in Vista, or in using digital videos at all in Vista?

Thanks.

Dewey
                    • 7. Re: Authoring Problems in Vista
                      SafariTECH Level 1
                      I haven't needed to run videos yet, but Flash media shouldn't be an issue since all the other flash controls seem to work ok ... so you always have that recourse I guess (FLV)

Since Mpeg Advanced actually ties into WMP and not mplayer32, I suspect it will work ok with the WMP11 engine, but I have not tested it yet ... maybe I'll give that a spin later on and see what happens.
                      • 8. Re: Authoring Problems in Vista
                        MECS Level 1
                        I use the mpeg Advanced Xtra because I author on both the Windows and the Mac platforms. Those videos run well on either platform. I have not used Flash.

Maybe it's time I give that a try, too.

Dewey
                        • 9. Re: Authoring Problems in Vista
                          SafariTECH Level 1
                          :) I understand that ... but the context of my reply was in relation to Vista, so thats all I addressed. QT works well in both as well.

I never got chance to play with it today, but I'll probably check it tomorrow.
                          • 10. Re: Authoring Problems in Vista
                            MECS Level 1
                            Ok, Glen. Thank you.

Dewey
                            • 12. Re: Authoring Problems in Vista
                              MECS Level 1
                              Thank you for the information, Daniel. Yes, that is bad news. Let's hope Adobe will support this program and issue a patch in a reasonable period of time. They are going to leave an awfully large group of customers in a bad situation if they don't.

Dewey
                              • 13. Re: Authoring Problems in Vista
                                minibinny

Re drag and drop issues in Vista - I have this problem and it's been driving me CRAZY - it's unusable as it stands. I cannot drag copy cut or paste anything from the cast to the stage or score, I can't move sprites around the score - just usless. The strange thing is Director worked fine for the first few weeks on Vista, then one day the drag and drop problem started. I have no idea why or what prompted it to stop working. I've tried changing the compatibilty on the icon to other Windows OS - nothing.

I still have my old PC to work on, but I want to use the new one dammit!

I've been searching for solutions, or even someone else with the same problem, and had no luck, so I was mightily relieved to read these comments mentioning it.

Please - does Anyone know where I can find out more?
                                • 14. Re: Authoring Problems in Vista
                                  Level 7
                                  While waiting for Director 11 to arrive, have you thought about running
                                  Director Window XP in a virtual window using one of these?

1) Microsoft's free Virtual PC
                                  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

2) VMWare Workstation
                                  http://www.vmware.com/products/ws/

"minibinny" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                  news:f4od37$ebh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  >
                                  > Re drag and drop issues in Vista - I have this problem and it's been
                                  > driving
                                  > me CRAZY - it's unusable as it stands. I cannot drag copy cut or paste
                                  > anything
                                  > from the cast to the stage or score, I can't move sprites around the
                                  > score -
                                  > just usless. The strange thing is Director worked fine for the first few
                                  > weeks
                                  > on Vista, then one day the drag and drop problem started. I have no idea
                                  > why or
                                  > what prompted it to stop working. I've tried changing the compatibilty on
                                  > the
                                  > icon to other Windows OS - nothing.
                                  >
                                  > I still have my old PC to work on, but I want to use the new one dammit!
                                  >
                                  > I've been searching for solutions, or even someone else with the same
                                  > problem,
                                  > and had no luck, so I was mightily relieved to read these comments
                                  > mentioning
                                  > it.
                                  >
                                  > Please - does Anyone know where I can find out more?
                                  >