9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2014 2:58 PM by rkelly0137

which laptop is best for adobe creative suite cs6

aimpakistan

Hi Guys,

I am freelance graphic designer from 5 years. i have a lot of clients from all over the world. i am using pc but i want to buy a laptop now. sometimes i work with more then 100 layers in photoshop and files became to heavy so i want a laptop that can handle huge files smoothly. by budget is 1000 Pounds

please suggest me which laptop i should buy so my money doesn't goes waste.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Amir

• 1. Re: which laptop is best for adobe creative suite cs6
          LittleBusinessLoans

Hi Amir,

I have found that mac book pros are more than capable of handling adobe. Our web designer constantly uses his and has never had a problem with it. I know they are a little over your £1000 budget, however you can purchase a refurbished one, or mac book air, direct from apple online and it will bring the price down. You still get the 1 year warranty with them.

Little Business Loans

• 2. Re: which laptop is best for adobe creative suite cs6
            aimpakistan Level 1

Thanks for your kind reply. Actually I am not a fan of Mac I know they are good but I was looking for a laptop. One of my friend recommend me levono y series laptop he has levono y50. But he is not a graphic designer. So before I order a laptop I want to make sure I am getting the right product. I don't have more then £1000.

• 3. Re: which laptop is best for adobe creative suite cs6
              aimpakistan Level 1

i have searched macbook pro MGX72B 13 inch and core i5.can you suggest me 15 inch and it should be core i7

• 4. Re: which laptop is best for adobe creative suite cs6
                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

In past years laptops that are good desktop replacements cost considerably more then £1000.  Don't use as many layers and smart objects on the road.

• 5. Re: which laptop is best for adobe creative suite cs6
                  rkelly0137 Level 4

There's no need to get a Mac, a PC is just as capable; all this talk to the contrary is just marketing B.S.  That said, in order to handle large files like that you need a very capable machine, and that's not cheap, regardless of what OS you use.

As JJ noted, getting a laptop that will replace a desktop will probably still cost more than £1000.  I just went through this a year ago, as I also frequently work on large files and my Vaio laptop was choking on them.  I built a desktop for around $1200, with the latest i7, decent GPU, SSD primary and scratch, HDD storage, water cooled, etc.  It's night and day difference from my laptop, which to be fair was a little old.  But there's no way I could have purchased a laptop with similar performance specs for anywhere near that cost.  High end laptops might have come down in cost a little bit over the past year, but I'm guessing a machine like that is still well over $2000.

• 6. Re: which laptop is best for adobe creative suite cs6
                    aimpakistan Level 1

Thanks for reply. First I want to tell you that why I am buying laptop. I travelled alot thats why to continue my work I need laptop so at the moment I dont want desktop. Ok if i raise my budget to 1200£ which laptop you will suggest me. I need to order it today or tomorrow

• 7. Re: which laptop is best for adobe creative suite cs6
                      rkelly0137 Level 4

I couldn't tell you exactly which one to get without doing the research.   Personally I’ve never made a purchase of this magnitude in a day; I always research my options first.  For the price you’re looking at I think you're still going to have to make some sacrifices.   Absolutely get an i7 with integrated graphics.  I have a 4770 in my desktop, but that’s a couple years old now, I’m sure there’s a new one.  The integrated graphics are actually fine for photography (I don’t know if you do video). There’s no point in getting a mid tier GPU, either you’re spending hundreds on a good GPU, or just use integrated. So, you’re using integrated.  8 gb RAM, minimum, but get one expandable to 16. Absolutely must have an SSD, both for speed, scratch use, and personally I’ll never have another laptop with an HDD. Lastly, make sure it has a decent display, sd card slot, and USB 3.0.  Don’t worry about battery life, you’re going to have to be plugging in if you’re doing heavy editing.

Most computer lines let you customize to some level.  The Dell XPS 15 and HP Envy are both solid machines that are aiming to compete with Macbooks, but I doubt you can get one fully loaded for that price.  I use Lenovo at work; they’re solid machines. Not sexy, but solid.  Not sure about the display though, my work ones are mediocre at best.  Finally, Asus makes quite a few affordable gaming units.  You don’t need the GPU in gaming units, but the rest of the specs are usually pretty good, including the display.  That said, I’ve always seen ASUS as a cheaper company.  It’s fine for a gaming/personal computer, but I don’t know that I’d trust it for a work computer.  This isn’t based off any data, just my personal perception of the company.

• 8. Re: which laptop is best for adobe creative suite cs6
                        aimpakistan Level 1

So I find yhis laptop best so far. Levono y50-70. What you say about this

• 9. Re: which laptop is best for adobe creative suite cs6
                          rkelly0137 Level 4

That looks pretty good.  Like I said, I don't think Lenovo's are the sexiest (although that's a decent looking computer), but my experience is that they're really well built.  I'll be considering them for my next purchase.

Just a couple things to consider:  See if you can upgrade to a full SSD.  I'm not sure about those hybrid drives, especially with only 8 gB of solid state.  Is that even enough for Windows and Photoshop?  Still, you'd be forced to use a HDD for your scratch disk.  And regardless, as someone who recently had an HDD on his laptop fail, I just don't think HDDs should be on laptops.

The screen is only 1900.  I don't know if that bothers you.  If you're doing a lot of editing on this laptop you might want one of those HD displays, but those are gonna cost you.  Edit:  scratch that, I just read another thread about the high PPI screens an issues with scaling in Windows.  Guess you should stick to 1900 for now.

Finally, just double check that you can put an additional 8 GB of RAM in (single stick).  It says expandable to 16, but that depends on the configuration that they use for the 8 that's already in there.  It shouldn't be a problem, but I'd double check.  And don't let them convince you to order it with 16 gB.  Putting in RAM is the easiest thing you can do to a computer, and for some reason companies still like to charge an arm and a leg for it.  Sony wanted $250 for an extra 4 gigs when I got my Vaio.  I went to Frys, paid $39 for it, unscrewed two screws and popped it in, in the parking lot in under 5 mins.