3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2007 7:54 AM by Newsgroup_User

Slightly OT - web browsers on CD-ROM

TrentSC Level 1
      I've been asked by a client to create a website which will be available online as well as being distributed on CD-ROM to a large number of clients around the world.

The issue I have to consider is one of browsers. It seems sensible to me to consider including a standalone browser on the CD-ROM (one that can be run from the executable and doesn't have to be installed), but I also have to accommodate three different types of Operating System environments - Windows, Linux and Mac OS.

So, my questions to the group are:

1. Is there a simple browser which can do this?
      2. Can it run from the CD-ROM?
      3. Are there versions for each of those three OSs?

I know that Autorun features exist in both Windows and Mac, and I'm assuming there's something similar in Linux.

Ta muchly.

TrentSC
        • 1. Re: Slightly OT - web browsers on CD-ROM
          Level 7
          If you write your code as if it will be posted on the web, and validated and
          tested for all browsers, and include an autorun program on the CD it will
          open in any browser just like a web site. Then you don't need to worry
          about including a browser.

"TrentSC" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:f5dupb$854$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I've been asked by a client to create a website which will be available
          > online
          > as well as being distributed on CD-ROM to a large number of clients around
          > the
          > world.
          >
          > The issue I have to consider is one of browsers. It seems sensible to me
          > to
          > consider including a standalone browser on the CD-ROM (one that can be run
          > from
          > the executable and doesn't have to be installed), but I also have to
          > accommodate three different types of Operating System environments -
          > Windows,
          > Linux and Mac OS.
          >
          > So, my questions to the group are:
          >
          > 1. Is there a simple browser which can do this?
          > 2. Can it run from the CD-ROM?
          > 3. Are there versions for each of those three OSs?
          >
          > I know that Autorun features exist in both Windows and Mac, and I'm
          > assuming
          > there's something similar in Linux.
          >
          > Ta muchly.
          >
          >
          > TrentSC
          >

• 2. Re: Slightly OT - web browsers on CD-ROM
            TrentSC Level 1
            Thanks for the suggestion Michael, but around 20% of the client base doesn't have either internet access of an installed browser, so I have to include this in the design!

Cheers.

quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
            If you write your code as if it will be posted on the web, and validated and
            tested for all browsers, and include an autorun program on the CD it will
            open in any browser just like a web site. Then you don't need to worry
            about including a browser.

> online
            > the
            > world.
            >
            > to
            > from
            > Windows,
            > Linux and Mac OS.
            >
            >
            >
            > assuming
            >
            > Ta muchly.
            >
            >
            > TrentSC
            >

• 3. Re: Slightly OT - web browsers on CD-ROM
              Level 7
              Create the site as a flash movie and publish to a CD as a window projector
              (.exe) and a mac projector (.hqx). Include an autorun command for PC users,
              the mac people will know how to start it. This will eliminate the need for a
              browser
              This cool part of this it will make you more money.

Jeff

> online
              > the
              > world.
              >
              > to
              > from
              > Windows,
              > Linux and Mac OS.
              >
              >
              >
              > assuming
              >
              > Ta muchly.
              >
              >
              > TrentSC
              >