3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2014 6:34 PM by Steve Grisetti

How do I pan across a wide image?

timothymcmackin

Hi! I'm using Premiere Elements 13 on Win 8.1, 8GB RAM.

I've got a wide image (2712x896, 96dpi, 1.56MB jpeg). I'd like to add it to my movie (1920x1080) and pan across the image. So I'd like the video to start showing the left side of the wide image and slowly pan across to show the center and then the right side of the image, over 15 seconds or so.

So I add the image to my timeline. I've verified that the image file is right-side-up outside of PE, but by default, it appears rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise in PrE. So I use the Applied Effects window to rotate it 90 degrees clockwise. Then I click the Pan and Zoom tool. This tool shows my image again rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise, so it's oriented the wrong way in the video (see attached screencap). It wants to pan from the bottom of the image to the top, and I don't see any option for rotating the image in the pan/zoom tool. Is there some way to orient my image the correct way for the panning?

I've tried setting a pan focus frame at the "bottom" of the image (that is, the left side of the image, where I'd like to start the pan) and a focus frame at the "top" of the image (i.e. the right side of the real image). In this case, the timeline preview shows the image right-side-up, but it still pans top to bottom. So I see lots of black (from the "border" well below the image), then the center of the image slides by (oriented correctly, but moving top to bottom), and then I see more black from the border above the image. So PE is very confused about the image. :-)

Snap5.gif