5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2014 10:06 AM by A.T. Romano

Poor jpeg quality after converting from pdf.

ksreid

I am trying to make a book video out of a collection of pdf files in Premiere Elements 11. Apparently Premiere does not take pdfs so I converted the pdfs to jpegs via Photoshop CS5. When I try to run the video the quality of the images is horrible - very pixalated and some of the text is unreadable. Even though Photoshop psd files are said to be useable I get the same results. Rendering did nothing. Help?

• 1. Re: Poor jpeg quality after converting from pdf.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ksreid

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What are the pixel dimensions of these jpeg files? What are you (manually) or the project (automatically) setting as the project preset?

If you do not know, please see readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

Based on your reply, I will suggest some project settings that may improve your situation.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Poor jpeg quality after converting from pdf.
            ksreid Level 1

Premiere Elements 11 (20120901.B261.425551). 

Editing Mode: HD 1080i (grayed out)

Timebase: 29.97 frames/second (grayed out)

Playback Settings: Aspect Ratio Conversion = Hardware (if supported)  24p Conversion Method = Interlaced Frame (2:3:3:2)

Frame Size: 1920 Hori. 1080 Vert.

Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)  (grayed out)

Fields: Upper Field First (grayed out)

Display Format: 30fps Drop-Frame Timecode

NOTE:  (grayed out) = not selectable

• 3. Re: Poor jpeg quality after converting from pdf.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ksreid

What are the pixel dimensions of your jpegs?

For now, I will assume 1920 x 1080 pixels.

In Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace, go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

In the Change Settings area, change the project preset to:

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

After OK'ing the above, you will see the New Project dialog displaying your project preset.

Make sure that there is a check mark next to the option "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" in the New Project dialog, and

then OK out of there.

Back in the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders/ to get your source files

into Project Assets from where you drag the source files to the Timeline. Render the Timeline content and

determine if the quality of that content playback in the Edit area monitor is improved in comparison to your prior projects.

You might also explore applying fx Effects/Blur & Sharpen/Sharpen (just a little) to the Timeline content.

What is your intended export for your Timeline content?

Please review and consider and then let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Poor jpeg quality after converting from pdf.
                ksreid Level 1

Thanks, A.T. Romano!  These settings changes made all the difference. The pixel dimensions of most of the jpegs is 1600 x 2000. A couple are a bit larger. I will be putting this project on a dvd. My next challenge will be to add both narration and background music. Hopefully the suggestions in this forum will make that a bit easier than it has been for others. Thanks to all of you who take the time to help.

• 5. Re: Poor jpeg quality after converting from pdf.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ksreid

Very great news. So glad that the suggestion improved your Premiere Elements workflow.

Your follow up is be appreciated by all.

Please never hesitate to ask questions and to ask for clarification.

Best wishes

ATR