4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2007 10:55 AM by alan_tomkins

Attach text under a circular path

alan_tomkins
      Hi fellow Fireworks fans, I am trying to create text attached to a circular path. I have had no problems creating the text sat on top of the path but I need to create the text "hanging" under the path for a particular application. Can anyone tell me how to do this? I have tried all the options and creating the circular path from bottom to top. Basically I am sure this is doable and probably easily, but I can't work it out. Help please! I am using Fireworks 8 on Windows XP.

Many thanks, Alan
        • 1. Re: Attach text under a circular path
          Level 7
          Alan,

You need to adjust the baseline shift. That option will appear in the
          Properties panel after you select the text. To the right of the
          Anti-alias drop-down.

alex

alan tomkins wrote:
          > Hi fellow Fireworks fans, I am trying to create text attached to a circular
          > path. I have had no problems creating the text sat on top of the path but I
          > need to create the text "hanging" under the path for a particular application.
          > Can anyone tell me how to do this? I have tried all the options and creating
          > the circular path from bottom to top. Basically I am sure this is doable and
          > probably easily, but I can't work it out. Help please! I am using Fireworks 8
          > on Windows XP.
          >
          > Many thanks, Alan
          >
          >
          • 2. Re: Attach text under a circular path
            alan_tomkins Level 1
            Hi Alex, I am using a circle and want wording sat on the top and with additional wording hung on the bottom.
            I have tried baseline offset and it does 2 things 1) it reverses the text 2) it destroys the letter spacing. I am using an 8 point Arial font.
            I've reversed the text back with the text direction function but the letter spacing makes the quality too poor for general use.
            Any thoughts on this please?
            Alan
            • 3. Re: Attach text under a circular path
              Level 7
              alan,

You can space text out using the Properties panel as well. Most times I
              have to do this when attaching text to a path.

Here is a good tutorial of what I think you are trying to do:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_13900

alex

alan tomkins wrote:
              > Hi Alex, I am using a circle and want wording sat on the top and with
              > additional wording hung on the bottom.
              > I have tried baseline offset and it does 2 things 1) it reverses the text 2)
              > it destroys the letter spacing. I am using an 8 point Arial font.
              > I've reversed the text back with the text direction function but the letter
              > spacing makes the quality too poor for general use.
              > Any thoughts on this please?
              > Alan
              >
              • 4. Re: Attach text under a circular path
                alan_tomkins Level 1
                Many thanks Alex. I've had some success by adding the text to the outside as normal, reversing the direction of the text with the properties panel and then using the "Reverse direction" option in the menu which puts the text the right way up inside the circle. I then use the baseline shift at -8 rather than -74 so the text is still good enough for production.
                Many thanks again for the baseline inspiration.
                Alan