13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2014 12:30 PM by Rafael Aviles

Resize photos in Lightroom

VictoriaFinland

I am writing a book and using old photos.   Many are very small and I need to make them larger for the book.   I need them at 300 dpi.   When exporting, I type in 300 dpi in the resolution box.  What do I choose in the "Resize to Fit" box to make the photo larger? 

• 1. Re: Resize photos in Lightroom
          dj_paige Level 9

You need to know how many pixels (or inches) you want for use in the book.

So, if for example, the photo in the book needs to be 2x3 inches, then you could enter a width of 2 and a height of 3, set the units to inches, and then the resolution to 300 ppi (not dpi). Uncheck "Do Not Enlarge".

Alternatively, you could work in pixels, you would set the units to pixels, width is 600 and height is 900. Uncheck "Do Not Enlarge".

All of the above assumes the photo is in a 2x3 aspect ratio. If the photo has a different aspect ratio, you would first have to crop the image to 2x3 aspect ratio.

• 2. Re: Resize photos in Lightroom
            VictoriaFinland Level 1

I need 300 dpi for printing purposes.   Sometimes I am not sure what size I want because I am placing the photo into a book software called BookWright from Blurb.  I have already copied the text into the software, now I am placing photos into it where I want them.   So, I am not always sure what size I want - I just need as big as I can get them because some of these old photos are very small.

• 3. Re: Resize photos in Lightroom
              dj_paige Level 9

Printers use dpi. Dots per inch.

Digital photographs (and Lightroom) use ppi. Pixels per Inch. If you are exporting photos from Lightroom, you cannot control dpi, you can control ppi.

DPI and PPI are different things, and you would be wise not to confuse them.

Since I don't really know anything about BookWright, you might want to find a forum for that software. Does BookWright not offer "rulers" where you can see how many inches are available for the photo?

Or you might want to use the Book Module in Lightroom 5 instead of BookWright, in which case people here can probably help.

Also, you might want to be specific about what "very small" means, how small in pixels (width and height), not megabytes or kilobytes.

• 4. Re: Resize photos in Lightroom
                VictoriaFinland Level 1

So, what is the difference between ppi and dpi when I am exporting a photo?

• 5. Re: Resize photos in Lightroom
                  VictoriaFinland Level 1

No, Bookwright does not have rulers.   I can't use the Book Module in Lightroom as my book is a text with photos book, not a photo album like in Lightroom.   By small, I mean 2 x 2 or close to that - too small to put in a book for anyone to really see the photo.

• 6. Re: Resize photos in Lightroom
                    dj_paige Level 9

You cannot set the dpi when you export from Lightroom, as there are no controls in Lightroom's Export dialog for printer dots. The only time dpi matters is when the photo is actually printed, and then you would use the printer software to control the quality/dpi.

You can only set the ppi when you export. Lightroom works in pixels, not in printer dots.

• 7. Re: Resize photos in Lightroom
                      dj_paige Level 9

VictoriaFinland wrote:

No, Bookwright does not have rulers.   I can't use the Book Module in Lightroom as my book is a text with photos book, not a photo album like in Lightroom.   By small, I mean 2 x 2 or close to that - too small to put in a book for anyone to really see the photo.

I asked for the size of the photo in pixels.

• 8. Re: Resize photos in Lightroom
                        dj_paige Level 9

No, Bookwright does not have rulers.

So, I used my favorite search engine, typed in Bookwright, and found the link to the home page of Bookwright, which shows a layout of a book, with rulers.

• 9. Re: Resize photos in Lightroom
                          VictoriaFinland Level 1

Okay, thank you for that.   I did not know there were rulers on there - I will check it out.   I understand the dpi versus ppi.   Is 300 ppi the same as 300 dpi for printing purposes?   Should I choose a higher resolution, say 400?   I just need to make sure the photos are a lot larger than the original to place in the book - that is my only concern just now. 

• 10. Re: Resize photos in Lightroom
                            VictoriaFinland Level 1

some are only 96 pixels

• 11. Re: Resize photos in Lightroom
                              VictoriaFinland Level 1

I think what you are saying is to choose the size in dimensions and let Lightroom choose the resolution for that size?   Then, I will have the photo in the size I want and I won't have to worry about the ppi?

• 12. Re: Resize photos in Lightroom
                                dj_paige Level 9

Is 300 ppi the same as 300 dpi for printing purposes?

No, there is no way to equate the two

Should I choose a higher resolution, say 400?

You want to be sure you have enough pixels to fill the desired area, and probably 300 ppi is fine for your book. If the area of the photo in the book is 2x3 inches, then you would export at 600x900 pixels.

However, starting with a photo that has 96 pixels on a side, there might be noticeable quality loss when you enlarge to 600x900 (for example). As I have never blown up a photo that is 96 pixels on a side to 600x900, I think you'd have to look at the exported photo and decide if the quality is acceptable. You might have to lower the ppi to 200 (which means the exported photo is now 400x600) and if necessary lower it further, depending on the appearance of the exported photo.

Naturally, if you are using an area in the book of (for example) 1x2 inches instead of 2x3, the math changes appropriately.

• 13. Re: Resize photos in Lightroom
                                  Rafael Aviles Level 3

Be aware that a photo that is only 96 pixels to begin with, will look really bad if re-sized to print at a size of even 2 or 3 inches.