14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2016 6:17 AM by Steve Grisetti

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Playback Stops

fran3

I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 11 on a new HP workstation. I've created several projects without problems. I've recently had some lost media files and re-installed Premiere Elements.  Now when I click play, it plays for a short time and then stops. I click again and it plays for a short time and stops again. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Playback Stops
          A.T. Romano Level 7

fran3

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on?

For now I will assume, Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Let us explore deleting the Premiere Elements 11 settings file which is named Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. If that does not works, we will look at deleting the whole 11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

When you did the uninstall, reinstall did you include a free ccleaner run through between the uninstall and reinstall to get rid of any leftovers from incomplete installs or reinstalls?

Did you do this with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

Please review and consider and then let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Playback Stops
            fran3 Level 1

A.T. Romano:

Thank you so much for addressing my problem. Yes, I am using Windows 7.

Two things:

- I did not include a free cleaner run and did not disable antivirus and

firewalls.

- I deleted the Adobe Premiere Prefs file but it had no effect.

Should I uninstall and reinstall again disabling antivirus software? If I

upgrade to Adobe Premiere Elements 13 or Pro, would it make a difference

and would I still be able to open my existing projects?

Mary

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 2:51 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Playback Stops
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Mary

Thanks for the reply.

I would do the Premiere Elements 11

a. Deactivate from with an opened project's Help Menu/Deactivate...then close out of there.

b. Unimstall the program using the usual Control Panel way

c. Do a free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts) to get rid of any leftovers from incomplete

installs and reinstalls.

CCleaner - Download

d. Reinstall the program with the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Opening project files from older programs into newer programs does not have a guarantee. It "should be" OK. The generalized

recommendation is to finish a project in the program in which it was created.

If you do look at Premiere Elements 13 or another Adobe product, I would encourage you to look at the tryout before

purchase to assure the program compatibility with your computer environment and project goals.

Hoping that we can get Premiere Elements 11 back to 100%.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Playback Stops
                fran3 Level 1

ATR,

I did everything you said and, at first, it looked like I was back in

business. However, I needed to re-render the project (which I had

previously done) and after that I still had the stop and start problem. It

happens with all of my projects not just one. I hate to impose on your

kindness but do you have any other suggestions? I guess I could just start

over.

Mary

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 4:38 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Playback Stops
                  fran3 Level 1

ATR,

One other thing:

After I reinstalled Adobe Premiere Elements 11, I got this dialog box:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Libr...

RUNTIME ERROR

Program:C:\Pro...

R6025

-pure virtual function call

Does this mean anything to you? I also had to reset my modem and router to

get back online.

Mary

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 4:38 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Playback Stops
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

fran3

Thanks for the follow ups. Sorry that the news was not better. But do not give up.

This Runtime Error R6025 is seen often in different software. Seems to be a lot of fixing that going on or

went on with Adobe and that particular error in Premiere Pro CS5. It is sort of ironic that if you had

Premiere Elements 8, someone would say to update to 9, or 11 or.... If you had Windows

XP, then update to Windows 7 was their answer. Not sure if that ever resolved the matter.

If you have just completed the uninstall/reinstall as described previous, maybe give one

more try to deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary the whole

11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Please remind me, are you having these issues with one particular source media and what

are the properties of your source files?

Two other

a. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and let us know where your scratch disks

are directed and how much free space is at those locations.

b. Create a new User Account with Administrative Privileges and install and run the program from that.

We will be watching for your result when you get the time.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...If you do decide to explore other software, please consider tryout before purchase to assure the compatibility of the software with

your computer and project goals.

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Playback Stops
                      fran3 Level 1

ATR,

I checked the scratch disks. All of them are: C:\User...dobe\Premiere

Elements\11.0\  except for Media Cache which is:

C:\User...ata\Roaming\Adobe\Common\

I've realized one other thing. When I render a project, save it, close it,

and then reopen it, the rendering is not saved. The green line above the

timeline is gone. What do you think of that?

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 9:50 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Playback Stops
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Mary

Thanks for the follow ups.

The green line gone above the Timeline after a rendered project save close is not uncommon for Premiere Elements (any version).

It is unknown why that happens since the preview files that were generated during the Timeline render process before save close are still intact in

the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder when you open a saved closed project and find the "unrendered" line indicator.

One of the users has been reporting that this type of behavior seems to target rendered .psd rather an a .jpg file. I will try to find

that thread so that you can read our discussion on that. When all is said and done, the answer seems to be -  leave Timeline

unrendered if you do not need to confirm the best possible preview in the Edit area monitor or, if you need to verify again best

possible preview, then render the Timeline content with the orange line over its content (whole or a segment of it).

How much free hard drive space is at the location(s) that the Scratch Disks are directed?

Please remind me if I asked and you replied to a question about whether or not this Timeline Indicator behavior

occurs with one particular source format? Or, does it present whether you are using a few jpgs and a variety of

different video formats?

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Playback Stops
                          fran3 Level 1

ATR,

I've made progress. The stopping and starting with playback is gone. I

think I'm back in business.

- Next to the paths for the 6 scratch disk files, it says 27.1 GB. I

assume that refers to the hard drive space.

- All of my source media are jpeg pictures or MOD videos. I took the

videos with a Canon FS200.

- The media cache files were listed as custom instead of same as project

- does this mean anything significant?

- When I first open up the project, I'm asked where certain rendered

files are. When I locate the files and select them, I get an error message

which says: "This type of file is not supported or the required codec is

not installed." If I skip all, the project opens up but, as I said before,

is not rendered.

- I started a new project to see if those files will render and be saved

and they are.

My last question is this:

WHO ARE YOU? Why have you been so kind to give me so much of your time and

expertise? Do you work with Adobe? Are you a programmer? Do you enjoy

solving problems? Do you enjoy helping people? Whatever the reason, thank

you, thank you, thank you.

I've been making lots of family videos and enjoying the process quite a

bit. However, I learn as I go along and have weaknesses. I don't understand

the whole thing about file locations and scratch disks and cache media and

that kind of thing. Your help has been invaluable.

Do you have any suggestions for my future work? Should I go to Adobe

Premiere Professional or stick with Elements 11? Have you heard of a

program called Grass Valley Edius? It's been recommended to me.

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 11:52 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Playback Stops
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

fran3

Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 (assumed 64 bit).

Thanks for the follow up. Great information of progress.

1. If your Scratch Disks are directed to an area with only 27.1 GB of free space then

a. you need to free up a lot more free space at that location - 500 GB would be great or as much as you can

or

b. point the Scratch Disks to another drive location with more free space (if you had an external hard drive even 250 GB capacity

that would be a great help).

2. Are you working with mod files 4:3 or 16:9 (widescreen)

a. with .mod files in general, you might get better performance in Premiere Elements if your rename the file extension part of the

file name from .mod to .mpg.

b. with .mod files widescreen, they will probably import as if they were 4:3 instead of the 16:9...in that case you important them

with the NTSC DV Widescreen project preset and use Interpret Footage on the thumbnail in Project Assets to change the Pixel

Aspect Ratio.

More on "2" with more of your details.

As for me, I am just a user in this user to user Adobe Premiere Elements Forum. And, as I usual add, "with an overactive troubleshooting gene".

We all had our moments of first encounter with Premiere Elements. You will do just fine. Exploration and experimentation with the program

will help a lot.

But, as always, if any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for the follow ups and exploring the troubleshooting suggestions.

ATR

• 11. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Playback Stops
                              fran3 Level 1

ATR,

- I have an E drive with 1.8 TB of free space. Should I change the path

for new projects only? What are the scratch disks anyway?

- Do you usually create one folder with all of your scratch disk files

along with source media files together in one place? I think all of my

problems arose from confused organization of source media.

- In making my family videos, I combine photos which are 4:3 (1024 x

768) with flash media video clips (720 x 480). Any advice on presets is

most welcome. I tried what you suggested on a new project and it worked

well. Any way to improve on the photos which often have the black bars on

the sides? I've just been cropping them for the best fit.

- When I try to rename a MOD file with .mpg, the .mod extension stays on

the end anyway.

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 5:45 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 12. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Playback Stops
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Mary

Thanks for the replies.

Typically, I think about Scratch Disks as storage places to where the project automatically sends its files generated as part of one of its activities - thinking

preview files, conformed audio, autosaves, encoded files. An Adobe document describes them as per the following link.

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Working with scratch disks

You do not want your computer bogged down by pile ups of these files from project to project.

With your next projects, I would look at beforehand pointing all the Scratch Disks (Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks) to that E drive with the 1.8 TB space (assumed

most of it free).

With those clips with the .mod file extension, right click the file name, select Rename from the drop down list.

When you select Rename, typically the name part of the file, not the file extension, is highlighted for the type in.

file name.mod. In that case, with your mouse cursor, click between the . and the mod and drag the mouse curser

to the right over the mod. Then type mpeg or .mpg.

A good starting place to explore for best settings for your described source might be

Project Preset set manually to

NTSC

DV Standard

or you might want to experiment with

NTSC

FLIP

Flip Mino and Ultra 29_97p

Please check out the how to for manual setting of the project preset. That is found at bottom of the following link

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

We will be watching for your progress. Please let us know if you are OK with the above information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 13. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Playback Stops
                                  MarcusFromGermany

Did you solve the problem finally? Currently I am facing the same issue

Any hints are welcome

• 14. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Playback Stops
                                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You're saying you're using exactly the same camcorder on exactly the same model of computer and operating system and the exact same version of the program?

If not, it might be wise to start a new thread detailing the specifications of your video and your computer.