1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 7, 2014 10:00 AM by Dave LaRonde

When rotoscoping, how do I delete the background of a video so that when I import it into final cut, the background is transparent and not black or white?

bjh22

Hello there,

I am new to after effects.

I'm currently working on some footage of a face talking. I have used the rotobrush to single out just the lips moving and have deleted the background. However, when I delete the background it automatically changes the background to a solid black.

The effect i'm looking for is more something of the effect of a PNG in photoshop - no background so that when it is imported into a movie, the lips with be free standing over other footage so that the oner footage will be shown behind the moving image of the lips..

I have looked at multiple tutorials and threads and found nothing that helps with my problem - if there is one, I apologise, I have just spent so long looking and thought here was the best place to come.

If anyone can give me any advice it would be very greatly appreciated - Thankyou!

BJH

• 1. Re: When rotoscoping, how do I delete the background of a video so that when I import it into final cut, the background is transparent and not black or white?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

First, check to make sure you actually HAVE transparency by doing one of three things: change the comp's background to something other than black, click on the button at the bottom of the comp window to view the alpha channel, or click the button on the bottom of the comp window to reveal the familiar Photoshop checkerboard background.

Next, select a codec that supports alpha channels -- in Quicktime-Land, that would be Animation, PNG or Prores 4444.  For FCP, use ProRes if you can.

After that add the comp to the AE Render Queue.  In the output module, select RGB+Alpha, Millions (or trillions) Of Colors +, and Straight, i.e. not premultiplied.  If you absolutely MUST have audio (I personally have little use for it), check the appropriate  check box.

Finally, save the project and hit the render button.  DO NOT save the project again after rendering; instead, go file>Revert.  That way, if you have one of those Homer Simpson "DOH!" moments where you realize you made a mistake, you simply delete the rendered file, make corrections, and you're all set to re-render.