8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2014 3:56 PM by sonofmrsnak

Apple 10.9.5 security flaw with Photoshop CS5

sonofmrsnak Level 1

Been having this discussion on the Apple support boards:

Assume that it's related to Shellshock, but now have to go through extra steps disabling security to be able to view downloaded images (jpgs) in Apple Preview after info prefs are set to open all images in Photoshop. Error screen says

"12345678.jpg" can't be opened because is it's from an unidentified developer.

Your security preferences only allow installation of only apps from the MacApp Store and identified developers"

To override this, I must follow these instructions:

1. In the Finder, locate the app you want to open.Don’t use Launchpad to do this. Launchpad doesn’t allow you to access the shortcut menu.
      2. Press the Control key, then click the app icon.
      3. Choose Open from the shortcut menu.
      4. Click Open.The app is saved as an exception to your security settings, and you will be able to open it in the future by double-clicking it, just like any registered app.

To reproduce this problem: Go to any web page and drag image to desktop. Highlight image, go to File>Get Info and change Open With app to Preview (my default by choice is Photoshop CS5). Error message on JPGs retrieved from both browsers every time. GIFs and PNGs seem to be unaffected.

If the downloaded JPEG was opened by Preview when Preview is set as the default image app, it opens just fine.

If I take that same image, and change it (and all future images) to be opened by Photoshop (I'm using CS5), and close the Get Info box, and then select and go to Get Info again and change the image (and all future images) back to Preview, we get the error message again.

My last response offered this solution for the time being:

If this started to happen after you installed the 10.9.5 update, it's because the Adobe product also needs an update to be compatible with Gatekeeper. As a temporary workaround pending that update, open the Security & Privacy preference pane, unlock the settings, and select the General tab. Click the radio button marked Anywhere. Test. Don't leave this setting on indefinitely.

Is Adobe planning a fix for this or as a legacy product, are we left out? Though PS is my main image program, I often use Preview for quick viewing.